Good bolt action rifle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good bolt action rifle question

Whats a good, easy to use bolt action rifle that can be adopted for hunting with the addition of scope.

If it matters (such as for caliber), the most common form of game around here is deer, we do have bears upstate as well.

Pretty hard to beat the classic .30-06 for one rifle that does just about everything. Ammunition is available for just about any game in North America, from .22 sabot rounds for prairie dogs to heavy 220 gr.+ round nose slugs suitable for bear.

Every major gun manufacturer has a bolt action rifle chambered for the 06. The classic is the pre-64 Winchester model 70, but Winchester, Remingtom, Kimber, Savage, Ruger, Browning, etc. all make bolt action 06's. Just look for someting in your price range.
    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I'm more partial to .25-06, but beyond that highsea gave good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        I'm more partial to .25-06, but beyond that highsea gave good advice.
        I have to say now I'm intrigue. Any recommendation as to brand and model in both rifle and ammo for my next year hunt?

Comment

I was looking into the Ruger M77. Is the M1903 Springfield still in production, I heard it makes a great hunting rifle? Hunting is very popular in my town, a couple of my friends go upstate every other weekend or so and go hunting.

Comment

M21, I like the .25-06 and also the .270. Great rounds. I just consider them a little light for larger bears. Even the .30-06 is light for Brown bears. But for Blacks and Grizzlies, it's okay.

The problem with the .30-06 is that once you own one, it's hard to find an excuse to buy another rifle!

OofE, where is your hunt, and what are you going after?
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Some of the heavier bullets in .25-06 are fine for bear, but shot placement becomes more crucial.

I don't hunt anything that big though, so it's not a consideration for me.

I like the high velocity and flat trajectory of the .25-06. It's a hell of a cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                I was looking into the Ruger M77. Is the M1903 Springfield still in production, I heard it makes a great hunting rifle? Hunting is very popular in my town, a couple of my friends go upstate every other weekend or so and go hunting.
                Sporterized 03's make good hunting rifles, there are lots of them around. They are a little bit clumsier wrt the safety and magazine cut-off, and you would want to have a gunsmith check it out before you buy, as many have been modified from their original .30-06 chambering, and not properly marked. Also, some of them have a LOT of rounds through them. The 1903 is not in production today.

The Ruger is a very good choice. Also the Remington Model 700, and my personal favorite, the pre-64 Winchester Model 70. The new Kimbers are a copy of the pre-64 Win, beautiful rifles, but pricey.

Be sure to sight it in with the rounds you will hunt with, and get some practice with it before your hunt. Take a hunting safety course if you haven't already.

Good luck and have fun!
                Last edited by highsea; 13 Dec 04,, 23:57.

Comment

Eastern Ontario, Canada. My two weeks (if my wife will allow me) is divided into one for moose and one for white tail. I have a .30-06 which I probably would keep for moose but I like something a little more smaller game oriented for deer. I've made a decision to buy a .270 next year but would like to check out the .25-06 1st.

Comment

OofE,
                    If I already owned a .30-06, I would probably pick the .25-06 over the .270, just to give me more flexibility if my main goal was smaller game.

I wouldn't go after a bull moose with anything under the .30-06, and would prefer a belted magnum like a .300 or .338 Win Mag. or a 7MM Rem Mag. They will carry their punch downrange better than the .30-06 on big game. But the .30-06 will definitely work, as M21 mentioned wrt bear and the .25-06, shot placement becomes a little more crucial.

If it was me, and I was planning to hunt mostly deer and moose, instead of buying a smaller rifle, I would get a bigger gun for moose and use the -06 for deer. Also, if you happen to stumble into a Griz, the Magnum gives you a little extra security.

See what I mean about the .30-06? It just does everything so well, it's hard to decide what else you need. My ideal combo would be the .270 and the .338. The .270 for deer and elk, and the .338 for moose and bear. They are far enough apart that I could feel like I needed them both.
                    Last edited by highsea; 14 Dec 04,, 00:21.

Comment

Mags hurt.

Damn it! Now, you've got me thinking about 2 guns! Need to convince the wife somehow. Think the family van could last another 3 years ...

Comment

When we get into Magnums i am inclined toward the Weatherbys.

I love Weatherby rifles, just beautiful weapons.

Comment

M21, Weatherby's are pretty, but I don't know, I just never really got into them. A friend had a .300, and it was very nice. But the ammo is so damn expensive if you don't reload...

I guess I'm just more of a meat and potatoes guy, born and raised in Alaska, I've owned lots of Remingtons and Winchesters over the years. Right now I have a pre-64 M70 in .30-06 and a Rem 700 in 7mm Mag. I can't think of a reason to switch either one for something else. ;)

Comment

Fair point, but ammo cost isn't really much of an issue for me. My brother works in a gunstore. :)

Comment

That does make things easier! Both my rifles have a lot of sentimental value to me, so I could never part with either one, but I still would like to get a .338...Something a litle more modern, with a composite stock that I don't mind beating around in the woods with.

I never shoot my -06, because it is a 1955 that was bought new by an ex-landlord of mine. When he passed away his wife gave it to me. It has only had the sight-in rounds from 1955 fired through it. It's never been fired since.

My 7mm was my dad's gun, that's the one I hunt with, but it's a wood stock, and I worry about banging it up.

Hey! I just came up with a reason to get that .338. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X