Indian Weddings in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Weddings in UK

Many Indians have done well since settling in the UK and have become prosperous. A wedding is a big thing with them and it differs from the European celebrations in that the event can go on for days. One growth industry is that in organising Indian weddings in the UK. It appears the average cost of these celebrations now exceeds £30,000 (say US$ 60,000).
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Mine cost that!!! but in Italian Lire...£3..or $1.50. that included the tip Good job Her Indoors is at work

Comment

Indian weddings are the biggest occasions for an Indian family. It is a matter of great joy. It is a truism that they tend to be huge affairs and also very expensive.

However, if $60,000 can be spent by average Indians in UK, it does prove that they have been real industrious to have that much of extra money to lavishly spend. In India, one wonders if anyone can afford to be that lavish. No wonder Indians, especially North Indians, are emigrating to UK legally and illegally since there is no hope in hell that one earn in India such a huge sum so that they could squander such huge sums for one wedding.

That apart, there is a social context to Indian weddings which makes it a huge affair. Indian families, till of recent times, were joint families. Then there was the village affinity. It was mandatory that everyone of the joint family and the village kins (called biradaris or gusti) had to be invited. Weddings also gave the people a break to celebrate and have a ball since the means of entertainment was limited.

Therefore, when a village and the joint family have to join in the marriage, it becomes a huge affair.

Though Indian families are slowly breaking up into nuclear families, the custom continues to linger, though in a limited style. In India, a fourth removed cousin, is still not a cousin, but taken as a brother! But again, the bonding of yore is diluting, but not the requirement to keep such cousins or brothers on the invitation list. If not invited, it would be sacrilege!

Another interesting aspect is that unlike other parts of the world, a marriage is for keeps. One cannot change wives as one would a car. Discords are ironed out by pressures from families on both sides because a divorce would make both families 'lose face' in society. A few years back one would be socially embarrassed to be a divorcee. This also is changing. If a marriage is a once in a lifetime issue and not a pastime, then obviously the occasion has to be something to remember and hence a huge show and at times a carnival!

Personally, it is a huge drain financially for the father, but then the children would expect that the fathers meet their social obligations in a befitting manner!

Catch 22.

Indian Hindu weddings are normally over two days at the girl's place and one day at the boy's, though the biradari congregates earlier to have a ball. The Indian Christian wedding is the normal affair. The Indian Moslem wedding I think is again over two days. The extent of festivites depends on the family.
      Last edited by Ray; 13 Aug 07,, 13:37.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Ray sir has left nothing for me to say :)

But recently there has been a lot of debate about the expenditure. I think delhi government has 'requested' punjabi weddings to be less lavish

Comment

Originally posted by Amarnath View Post
          Ray sir has left nothing for me to say :)

But recently there has been a lot of debate about the expenditure. I think delhi government has 'requested' punjabi weddings to be less lavish
          I am amazed Government would want to get involved in other peoples expediture..What next, a Tax on Weddings over a certain amount?:)

Comment

Free bar?

Comment

don,t these guys realise that 60.000 pounds is nothing compared to what they will spend once the honeymoon is over

Comment

Sir,

I find 30,000 pounds less. In all honesty weddings are nearly a 80,000- 100,000 pounds affair. I actually find that very less.

Comment

An Indian style Indo-Chinese wedding :) :
                  YouTube - Hill & Aparna Indian Wedding: Cross Cultural Extravaganza

Comment

Originally posted by soutie View Post
                    don,t these guys realise that 60.000 pounds is nothing compared to what they will spend once the honeymoon is over
                    Bingo !

Comment

Free bar?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Free bar?
                        LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          Free bar?
                          You plan to limbo-dance under it?
                          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

well also there is competition! especially with Indian families after they go to a friends wedding they have to do their sons or daughters wedding bigger than their friends ... cause each one is trying to get one up lol ... and yes many of these weddings do have open bar ... but usually the weddings festivities start on thursday/friday and end on sunday ... pretty crazy!.. ohh and thats 60k pounds on the wedding ... that doesnt include how much they spent on the engagement

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                              I am amazed Government would want to get involved in other peoples expediture..What next, a Tax on Weddings over a certain amount?:)
                              These are social ills and it ruins families.

Hence, the govt advises. It is not mandatory. It is just to increase the social awareness.

None believed in family planning. But the nagging effort of the govt has made family planning a reality in India. Even the Moslems have started doing so since the govt badgering through leaflets and publicity has made them realise that have a fleet of children is no way to enhance the wealth and happiness of the family! In fact, a govt was voted out because of the family planning drive which it undertook in a rather draconian way!

Unlike other countries, the govt does take on the social responsibilities since old habits die hard!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X