PDA

View Full Version : 5th WAB Modelers Contest: Naval Models

Ironduke
13 Aug 07,, 00:45
Dear Members,

We are now launching the 5th WAB Modelers Contest. The theme of this contest will be naval models.

As before, members have one week to submit a photo of model planes. After a week of submissions, the submission thread will be closed and a voting thread will be opened. The winner takes home a tin of Royal Dansk Butter Cookies!

Best of luck!

Regards, Ironduke

entropy
13 Aug 07,, 00:58
Aircraft or all naval? I have a nice one of HMS Iron Duke.

Ironduke
13 Aug 07,, 01:14
All ships. :) I'd like to see the Iron Duke... which one is it?

temujin77
13 Aug 07,, 02:24
Oooh, I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread... I hope some Yamato or Musashi models will turn out...

aeronautic
13 Aug 07,, 10:23
Hi all
I start with a picture of one of my ships (Tamiya 1:700) Musashi as seen in July 1943.
I don't know if only 1 pic. is allowed?

Lars

entropy
13 Aug 07,, 13:25
Hi all
I start with a picture of one of my ships (Tamiya 1:700) Musashi as seen in July 1943.

Lars

Wow. Impressive. I pull out, my ship is on a much smaller scale.

Ironduke
13 Aug 07,, 13:35
Multiple photos are allowed... entropy, I encourage you to submit your model... let us be the judge of your work. :)

entropy
13 Aug 07,, 13:38
All ships. :) I'd like to see the Iron Duke... which one is it?

The 1912-launched battleship. I'll post it as soon as I get hold of a digital camera, which can be everything from today until the last day of competition.

rsimpson
13 Aug 07,, 17:37
That's a lovely Musashi,
I will give you something from the other end of the spectrum, but with its own place in 'nice things'.

A 1:144th scale USS Alabama sailing past a sinking "Mogami" which the Alabama has just hit and fatally damaged during a combat meeting of the Australian Battle Group in March 2004

Regards

Richard
Sydney, Australia

texasjohn
13 Aug 07,, 22:46
Wow! Both you guys are impressive. Here goes:

The battleship Tirpitz, sister ship to the Bismark.

Gun Grape
14 Aug 07,, 02:56
Damn, Great models

You guys are going to make me start building models again.

Must resist the urge to open the big box full of unbuilt models in the attic.:)

JAD_333
14 Aug 07,, 03:36
Hi all

Lars

Excellent work. If I am not mistaken its painted in wartime color. What was the peacetime color, if there was one?

Shamus
14 Aug 07,, 04:11
Damn, Great models

Must resist the urge to open the big box full of unbuilt models in the attic.:)(Quiet voice from shoulder)You know you want to.....open the box...after all,what's just one going to hurt?Come on....open the box......:eek: :biggrin:

Officer of Engineers
14 Aug 07,, 05:39
Shamus,

They're plastic models, not bottles of scotch.

dalem
14 Aug 07,, 06:11
Damn, Great models

Must give in to the urge to send them all to Dale.

-dale

RustyBattleship
14 Aug 07,, 06:54
Oh dear. I don't have any ship models anymore. But a friend of mine is really into them. He also used to work for me in the Shipyard on the Battleship reactivations (was also an apprentice gunsmith in one of the gunshops I was part owner of). He really likes model ships. LOTS of them.

His highly detailed Scharnhorst hull with the portholes molded into the fiberglass; 1:100 scale.

RustyBattleship
14 Aug 07,, 06:56
Props and rudders on his New Jersey; 1:96 scale

RustyBattleship
14 Aug 07,, 06:59
Lee with his New Jersey model he has been working on for nearly 30 years. He keeps running into other ships with it (a model airplane club over-rode his frequency and it sunk another ship by ramming) and a catbird did a Kamikazi run on it taking out the foremast.

RustyBattleship
14 Aug 07,, 07:01
A Burke class DD he is building up.

RustyBattleship
14 Aug 07,, 07:05
If you really want to take control of the pond, finish up this Nimitz hull that's over 11 feet long.

RustyBattleship
14 Aug 07,, 07:09
If you want any of his 1:96, 1:100 or 1:48 hulls, you can find his website under the Scale Shipyard.

Yeah, I know. This is sort of some free advertising for him. But I'm envious of his patience, skill, he's a good friend of mine, one of my Battleship inspectors and I have the keys to his shop.

RustyBattleship
14 Aug 07,, 07:13
I know what I've shown will disqualify me for any voting. But you guys wanted to see ship models. Well, there you have them. If you are into big models, contact Lee Upshaw. Hel'l be more than glad to supply you with a hull and his custom resin-cast fittings or weapons.

aeronautic
14 Aug 07,, 10:23
Excellent work. If I am not mistaken its painted in wartime color. What was the peacetime color, if there was one?

The IJN did not have a peacetime color for their ships (When Musashi was commissioned the war where already on) But the Navy used 4 shades of grey one of each navy yard (Kure, Sasebo, Maizuru and Yokosuka) they are different, but in my opinion very close to each other, also bare in mind the effect of sun and sea etc. So I have used Humbrol # Matt 27 -it is spot on as Kure Naval Grey with the small tint of blue in it.:)

dave lukins
14 Aug 07,, 19:05
Shamus,

They're plastic models, not bottles of scotch.

Dream bubble burst...mouth drying up...Damn!!:biggrin:

Dreadnought
15 Aug 07,, 18:34
Excellent builds Rusty. I have one in building but havent had much time for her. Perhaps next round or two.:)

JAD_333
15 Aug 07,, 19:06
The IJN did not have a peacetime color for their ships (When Musashi was commissioned the war where already on) But the Navy used 4 shades of grey one of each navy yard (Kure, Sasebo, Maizuru and Yokosuka) they are different, but in my opinion very close to each other, also bare in mind the effect of sun and sea etc. So I have used Humbrol # Matt 27 -it is spot on as Kure Naval Grey with the small tint of blue in it.:)

Thanks for the reply. I admire your skills (and perhaps envy them a little). :)

dalem
15 Aug 07,, 20:13
Gorgeous stuff guys. I don't have a dog in this hunt - my only ships are designed for movie-screen vacuum. ;)

-dale

The Chap
16 Aug 07,, 05:55
As soon as I get my camera back, I shall submit "HMS Tanquray". Made of polystyrene packing and carved by kitchen knife, she is held together by toothpicks, carries one bottle of gin, one of tonic; in place of fore and aft turrets she boasts two ashtrays. Her four funnels consist of tallboy glasses cooled by a bed of crushed ice.

Although a little broad abeam she has pretty lines and sports twin lighters.

And the white ensign!

Her home port is my garden frame pool but due to inclement UK whether/weather has rarely put out to date.

RustyBattleship
16 Aug 07,, 06:12
As soon as I get my camera back, I shall submit "HMS Tanquray". Made of polystyrene packing and carved by kitchen knife, she is held together by toothpicks, carries one bottle of gin, one of tonic; in place of fore and aft turrets she boasts two ashtrays. Her four funnels consist of tallboy glasses cooled by a bed of crushed ice.

WHAT? NO VODKA?

The Chap
16 Aug 07,, 06:48
No. No vodka. Although I would strongly suggest that you guzzle at least half a bottle before you view my submission:redface: :biggrin:

Shamus
17 Aug 07,, 00:01

Although a little broad abeam she has pretty lines and sports twin lighters.

And the white ensign!

Her home port is my garden frame pool but due to inclement UK whether/weather has rarely put out to date.Sounds like a broadside from her could be quite "staggering";) :biggrin: .

Parihaka
17 Aug 07,, 02:09
Gorgeous stuff guys. I don't have a dog in this hunt - my only ships are designed for movie-screen vacuum. ;)

-dale

Dale, have you got any that you want keyed into a star scene? If so, photograph them against a single high colour background, no flash, single light source (preferably not a colour that is close to one on your model) and I'll key them in. If you've got a star scene you want them in, just post that too and I'll put em together.

dave lukins
17 Aug 07,, 18:09
No models, only this for you Sealubbers:biggrin:

He bought a large map representing the Sea
Without the least vestige of land:
And the Crew were much pleased when they found it to be
A map they could all understand.

glyn
17 Aug 07,, 20:17
No models, only this for you Sealubbers:biggrin:

He bought a large map representing the Sea
Without the least vestige of land:
And the Crew were much pleased when they found it to be
A map they could all understand.

Oi, you've pinched that from shhh you know where shhh, and I submitted it! That is plagiarism:mad:

dave lukins
17 Aug 07,, 22:22
Oi, you've pinched that from shhh you know where shhh, and I submitted it! That is plagiarism:mad:

Never, Plagiarism NEVER wrote that..it was way before his time!!!:) ..he must have stolen it:biggrin:

dave lukins
17 Aug 07,, 22:43

I won't tell Lewis Carroll if you don't:biggrin:

dave lukins
17 Aug 07,, 23:20
OK, OK here is one that is not by Glyn, I mean, submitted by Glyn:biggrin:

He was thoughtful and grave but the Orders he gave were enough to bewilder a Crew

When he cried "Steer to Starboard, but keep her Larboard!"

What on earth is a Helmsman to do?:)

glyn
18 Aug 07,, 00:05
I won't tell Lewis Carroll if you don't:biggrin:

Yes, yes. I plagiarised it from Lewis Carroll ( as I plagiarise so many others!). That's one thing, but to plagiarise the bloke from your old regiment is quite another.:biggrin:

dave lukins
18 Aug 07,, 00:22
Yes, yes. I plagiarised it from Lewis Carroll ( as I plagiarise so many others!). That's one thing, but to plagiarise the bloke from your old regiment is quite another.:biggrin:

Quite ashamed!! will reduced myself by five Ranks:eek:

dundonrl
19 Aug 07,, 12:04
I built a model of a 1/200 scale Yamato.. worst plastic I've ever worked with.. sitting on a shelf in my dad's house 6" of the bow friggin fell off..

Unfortunately, being onboard a destroyer sailing up the Western US Coastline from San Diego to Seattle right now I don't have access too any of the models that I built when I was younger..

dave lukins
20 Aug 07,, 17:33
I built a model of a 1/200 scale Yamato.. worst plastic I've ever worked with.. sitting on a shelf in my dad's house 6" of the bow friggin fell off..

Unfortunately, being onboard a destroyer sailing up the Western US Coastline from San Diego to Seattle right now I don't have access too any of the models that I built when I was younger..

The Contests are on going. When you have the time please show off the models..I love to see them, but that is far as it goes with me.

The kids say it's got something to do with having "sausage fingers", a quick temper, and no patience..I said "rubbish" and gave them a slap around the head oops! there goes that temper again:biggrin:

Ironduke
29 Aug 07,, 15:25
It is a bit late... I suppose I ought to get around to putting up the voting thread. :)

RustyBattleship
30 Aug 07,, 03:53
It is a bit late... I suppose I ought to get around to putting up the voting thread. :)

I just had to vote for the highly detailed Musashi model. It is gorgeous.

However the Tirpitz model's paint job is very, very eye catching.

JAD_333
30 Aug 07,, 04:11
My vote:

1 Musashi
2 Alabama
3 that hull in Rusty's pix...:)

Ironduke
30 Aug 07,, 05:05
Did I accidentally link to this thread when sending out the email? :confused:

JAD_333
30 Aug 07,, 05:41
Did I accidentally link to this thread when sending out the email? :confused:

that's like asking, "what was I thinking"....:biggrin:

seems so

cuba
06 Feb 08,, 07:01
Damn, Great models

Do it! You may never get the urge to so do it!

Unless they're for your children etc.:))