• Show
Clear All

• Guam targeted by Russia/USN Subs to PH

First the UK airspace test.

Now this:

BBC NEWS | Europe | Russia sparks Cold War scramble

Russia sparks Cold War scramble

The Tu-95 pilots exchanged smiles with their US counterparts
    Russian bombers have flown to the US island of Guam in the Pacific in a surprise manoeuvre reminiscent of the Cold War era.
    Two Tu-95 turboprops flew this week to Guam, home to a big US military base, Russian Maj Gen Pavel Androsov said.

They "exchanged smiles" with US pilots who scrambled to track them, he added.

The sorties, believed to be the first since the Cold War ended, come as Russia stresses a more assertive foreign policy, correspondents say.

The flight is part of a pattern of more expansive Russian military operations in recent weeks, says BBC diplomatic correspondent Jonathan Marcus.

Old practice

Gen Androsov said the strategic bombers had flown 13 hours from their base in the Russian Far East during the exercise.

"It has always been the tradition of our long-range aviation to fly far into the ocean, to meet [US] aircraft carriers and greet [US pilots] visually," he said at a news conference.

"Yesterday [Wednesday] we revived this tradition, and two of our young crews paid a visit to the area of the base of Guam," he said.

"I think the result was good. We met our colleagues - fighter jet pilots from [US] aircraft carriers. We exchanged smiles and returned home," he added.

During the Cold War, Soviet bombers regularly flew long-haul missions to areas patrolled by Nato and the US.

The bombers have the capability of launching a nuclear strike with the missiles they carry.

Heres some other stuff.:

BBC NEWS | Special Reports | 2007 | Resurgent Russia

BBC NEWS | Europe | Russia's levers of power

Theyre Backkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naval wise new ships, refurbished ships, new weapons ets etc etc.

The USN continues its reorientation to the Pacific.:

3 Virginia-class subs to homeport at Pearl

3 Virginia-class subs to homeport at Pearl - The Honolulu Advertiser

By William Cole
    Advertiser Military Writer
    The Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard is assured of a continuing workload with the decision to base three Virginia-class submarines at Pearl Harbor.

Three of the first four of the Navy's new Virginia-class attack submarines — including the USS Hawaii — will be homeported at Pearl Harbor beginning with the USS Texas in 2009, U.S. Sen. Daniel K. Inouye confirmed yesterday.

The basing reflects the increasing importance of the Pacific as other nations build up their navies, and signals a new direction for Pearl Harbor, which will have the largest concentration of the Navy's first major combat ship designed for a post-Cold War environment.

"The homeporting of these state-of-the-art submarines recognizes the strategic importance of Pearl Harbor and the Pacific Ocean," said Inouye, D-Hawai'i. "Furthermore, the men and women of the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard who will be maintaining these submarines look forward, as always, to providing the best services and support that our nation expects for our personnel serving in the Pacific."

Pearl Harbor already has 16 Los Angeles-class attack submarines, a design that was first deployed in 1976 and continues to be decommissioned as the vessels age while a few others have been refueled with new reactor cores.

The $2.4 billion to $2.7 billion Virginia-class subs are designed to operate in both the open ocean and nearshore shallows, and have improved stealth, sophisticated surveillance capabilities and special warfare enhancements.

SHIFT TO PACIFIC

The Pearl Harbor basing announcement comes as the Pentagon begins to shift more submarines to the Pacific to meet a goal of having 60 percent of its force in the Pacific and 40 percent in the Atlantic by 2011.

The Navy recently said dozens of countries, including North Korea and Iran, have diesel subs, and more than 180 foreign submarines operate in the Pacific within reach of critical chokepoints and navigational sea-lanes.

According to the Heritage Foundation, China has made naval modernization its top priority and since 1995 has built a modern fleet of 29 advanced diesel-electric submarines, with 10 more being built.

Last October, a Chinese Song-class diesel-powered attack submarine surfaced within sight of the Kitty Hawk aircraft carrier strike group in the East China Sea near Okinawa.

The USS Hawaii, which in May became an active weapon system when it was commissioned at the U.S. Naval Submarine Base in Groton, Conn., follows the lead ship in the class, Virginia, and the second sub to be built, Texas.

The 7,800-ton Hawaii is expected to arrive at Pearl Harbor in 2009 sometime after the Texas.

The Hawaii, Virginia and Texas are assigned to the U.S. Atlantic Fleet's Submarine Squadron Four in Groton for continued testing and evaluations, including what are known as post-shakedown availabilities to retrofit systems.

The North Carolina, the fourth submarine in the class, is expected to be commissioned next spring.

No permanent basing announcements had been made until yesterday.

Cmdr. Mike Brown, a spokes-man with the U.S. Pacific Fleet submarine force at Pearl Harbor, said the USS Virginia is permanently assigned to Groton and "it isn't going anywhere."

Brown said he had not seen anything "officially initiated" within the Navy that talks about the relocations to Pearl Harbor, but the secretary of the Navy and other officials previously confirmed that the USS Hawaii would be based in its namesake state.

Naval analyst and author Norman Polmar said such a concentration at Pearl Harbor makes sense.

"You really don't want to base (a new class of submarine) at 10 different ports because of the costs of people trained to support and maintain specific submarine systems — reactors and certain other gear," Polmar said, "It's much more efficient to put everything in one port."

The Navy earlier this year said after commissioning and acous-tics and other testing, the Hawaii might get a several-month mission — like the first in the class, the USS Virginia, which spent nearly three months off the coast of South America.

But the Hawaii will have to return to the Groton shipyard next spring for up to a year of improvements and fine-tuning.

MANY CHANGES

The Navy expects to pay for two Virginia-class subs per year starting in 2012 at the latest, which is double the current rate, and is trying to get the price down to $2 billion a sub in 2005 dollars.

The submarines have four 21-inch torpedo tubes and 12 vertical launch tubes with Tomahawk missiles.

Gone is the hull-penetrating periscope, which has been replaced by cameras and sensors mounted on masts, allowing command and control to be moved to larger quarters on the second deck level.

Modularity and a change in the way 4,000-pound torpedoes are carried mean that more room can be created.

That space can be filled with torpedoes, for a maximum of 24, or berthing can be created for 30 SEAL commandos. At 377 feet, the Virginia-class subs are 17 feet longer than their Los Angeles-class counterparts.

A topside lockout can accommodate nine SEALs, instead of two on Los Angeles-class submarines, meaning quicker deployments.

The Navy is placing more emphasis on the nearshore shallows where ships and commerce are concentrated, and the Virginia-class subs have six side-mounted sonar arrays, plus arrays in the bow, sail and nose, improving capabilities for eavesdropping and mapping the ocean floor and minefields.

The Virginia-class is a replacement for the deeper-diving but more expensive Seawolf class. Three of the subs were built.

It's still too early to determine the net economic effect of the submarine-basing plan for Hawai'i with plans for Los Angeles-class retirements or relocations to Hawai'i from other bases still largely unannounced.

Polmar, the naval analyst, believes that more than 60 percent of the Navy's approximately 53 submarines eventually will be moved to the Pacific. That shift already has begun, and the USS Jacksonville is expected to arrive at Pearl Harbor from Norfolk, Va., in 2008.

The USS Connecticut, USS Seawolf and USS Hampton have recently shifted to West Coast homeports in line with the submarine distribution recommended in the 2006 Quadrennial Defense Review, a planning roadmap put out by the Pentagon.

WORK FOR SHIPYARD

The USS Minneapolis-St. Paul, a Los-Angeles-class sub, recently arrived at Pearl Harbor from Norfolk for inactivation, a process that includes draining and removing hydraulic systems and tanks and preparing it to be towed to Puget Sound in Washington state where the nuclear reactor will be removed.

Three Los Angeles-class subs were inactivated at Pearl Harbor between 1996 and 1999, and a reactor refueling on a sub is being completed, but coming emphasis will be on Virginia-class subs.

Bob Dewitz, president of the Ship Repair Association of Hawai'i and CEO of HSI Electric, a marine electric firm, said the replacement of older Los Angeles-class subs with the Virginia class will ensure continuity of workload for shipyard workers.

Kerry Gershaneck, a spokes-man for the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility, said a "phenomenal amount of work" lies ahead to prepare for the arrival of the Virginia-class subs.

"We're looking at facility infrastructure, we're looking at training, equipment, tools, spare parts — all the variables associated with a new class of submarine," he said. "The shipyard's strategic focus is preparing for the Virginia-class submarines. That is our future."

Historical submarine news:

The Islander Magazine - DIVE! Touring the USS Cavalla

Hmmm Guam just might be a nice lil place to park a squad of F22's in the near future.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I saw that first bit on the BBC as well. I don't know about everyone else but I really am starting to feel uneasy about Russia now.

This stuff seems a little like saber rattling, or maybe trying to goad the US into deploying in a more aggressive stance, and therefore enable Putin to justify increased military spending.

Comment

and therefore enable Putin to justify increased military spending.
        mmm then if u think about it that way then Bush can justify increasing the military contracts.... i really think it helps Bush more than putin ...anyways as to postulating to these events ... well i think right now its mainly just keeping russia in the news to show tat russia is not dead and has grown bigger balls ...

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
          I saw that first bit on the BBC as well. I don't know about everyone else but I really am starting to feel uneasy about Russia now.

This stuff seems a little like saber rattling, or maybe trying to goad the US into deploying in a more aggressive stance, and therefore enable Putin to justify increased military spending.
          Russia is not going to attack anyone. They lack the guts and the means.

Comment

The TU-95 the ultimate in the Boeing B-29 family. It's also a great naval patrol craft and for anyone my age or older this is nothing new. This was an almost daily occurance in the 80's and 90's. But hey if the Red Scare gets the US out of Iraq so we can rebuild to face a global stage I am all for it.

The Bears are coming, the Bears are coming!!!!

Comment

LOL

New isnt the point but Im willing to bet its been awhile maybe alot longer than awhile. Im willing to believe not since the late 1980's. But then again I havent kept track of Russian long-range flights to Guam. So they may have been doing it everyday for the last 15 years or more. But I doubt it.

Nor is the point the aircrafts combat capability.

The point is the plane wasnt on a joy ride.

It had a mission.

That mission being testing US responses to its prescence or lack thereof., plus collecting intelligence on a wide array of US capabilities along its track.

Everyyone seems to underestimate the Russians, Not me. Not now, Not 15 years ago and Not 30 years ago.

Of course being just a youngster at 51 compared to Zraver's advanced age what do I know?

LOL
              ROTFLMAO

Comment

Originally posted by rickusn View Post
                It had a mission.

That mission being testing US responses to its prescence or lack thereof., plus collecting intelligence on a wide array of US capabilities along its track.

Everyyone seems to underestimate the Russians, Not me. Not now, Not 15 years ago and Not 30 years ago.

Of course being just a youngster at 51 compared to Zraver's advanced age what do I know?

LOL
                ROTFLMAO
                Indeed it did have a mission. Mr. Bear doesn't fly without one. This is a renewal of a very old mission for Mr. Bear, gathering ELINT and testing defenses and reactions. He used to do it regularly.

Russia's position in the Pacific is not as strong as it was in the 1970s and 80s. No longer do they have access to Cam Rhan Bay. Their access to China is limited at best. For that matter, between Chinese perfidy and Russian incompetence, the Vietnamese are closer to the US than they have been since I last flew over Hanoi. Japan is closer to the US politically today than it was even during the cold war. South Korea is asserting its independence, but not where it concerns Russia. Against that backdrop, the Russians have their work cut out for them. But, the Russians are clearly working on their Pacific problems.

Comment

This reminded me of the cold war disco, although Russia never stopped flying their big bombers around, they just slowed down the frequency a lot.

While it is vogue to look at the Bear and think it is nothing more than a B-29 with a commodore 64, a heavy bomber is still a heavy bomber, and a squadron of those things still has the potential to sink a bunch of ships, or destroy entire continents with nuclear weapons.

Comment

IMO if I had a say in it. Shoot the next one down as soon as it enters the kill zone and see what they say afterwards. Cat and mouse games turn ugly very quickly so why tempt the hand of fate when you can force it and prove a point to your advisary.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                    X