Stoned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoned!

I had quite the experience last week. Woke up at 3:00am screaming from a pain in my side like someone had inserted a red hot poker into me and started playing with my insides.

Wife drives me to the hospital and admitting says "one a scale of 1 to 10...) TEN!!!!!!! TEN!!!!! TEN!!!!!!! TEN!!!!!

OMG! Never imagined a kidney stone could be so painful. One of the worst parts was 25 minutes after my second shot of morphine and they give me some pills and tell me to go home and pass it. Talk about fear. "Wahahahahw what about when the morph wears off?" I ask the doc. He says, "take these pills. There are 2 days worth". As soon as I get in the passenger seat of the car, I open the pill pack and down one. The, I read the label which says "take 1-2 pills every 6 - 12 hours". Two days my ass, doc only gave me 6 pills.

Stone moved a bit and the day wasn't too bad (about like being punched in the kidney every 5 - 10 rather than kicked by a horse in the kidney continuously) but that night pain hit 12. Hospital time again and morphine for 7 hours. Next day, they pull it out the same way you are suppose to pass it.

I will always view pain in a different light now.

Drink lots of water. That's to prevent the stone from forming in the first place. I think that's how it works.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Taurkon View Post
      I had quite the experience last week. Woke up at 3:00am screaming from a pain in my side like someone had inserted a red hot poker into me and started playing with my insides.

Wife drives me to the hospital and admitting says "one a scale of 1 to 10...) TEN!!!!!!! TEN!!!!! TEN!!!!!!! TEN!!!!!

OMG! Never imagined a kidney stone could be so painful. One of the worst parts was 25 minutes after my second shot of morphine and they give me some pills and tell me to go home and pass it. Talk about fear. "Wahahahahw what about when the morph wears off?" I ask the doc. He says, "take these pills. There are 2 days worth". As soon as I get in the passenger seat of the car, I open the pill pack and down one. The, I read the label which says "take 1-2 pills every 6 - 12 hours". Two days my ass, doc only gave me 6 pills.

Stone moved a bit and the day wasn't too bad (about like being punched in the kidney every 5 - 10 rather than kicked by a horse in the kidney continuously) but that night pain hit 12. Hospital time again and morphine for 7 hours. Next day, they pull it out the same way you are suppose to pass it.

I feel your pain bud,I truly do.I have suffered from kidney stones since I was 15 years old.Kidney stones make you appreciate life without pain.My urologist had some suggestions the last time I was in.

1.Lemonade therapy-mix 4oz lemon juice with 2 liters of water(No sugar)and drink throughout the day.The thought here is to change the PH value of your urine so that the proteins that form the stone do not clump together and start the formation of the stone.
      2.As he put it"If it flys through the air or swims through the sea,you may eat it.....If it walks on four legs or crawls across the bottom of the sea you should not eat it..."according to their latest studies fish and poultry proteins do not contribute to the formation of stones but beef,pork,lamb and shellfish proteins do.

And as gunnut said water,water and more water if you can't hack the lemonade therapy.Yours may be dietary caused or you may be lucky like me with"idiopathic stone formation" which just means they have no idea why you get them or how to prevent them .P.S. Next time you have to go into emergency for a stone tell them you want Dilaudid for pain along with Toradol.Dilaudid is a morphine derivative approxiamately 4 times as strong as morphine and Toradol is a very effective anti-inflammatory.Make sure if they give you the Dilaudid that they dose you properly for your weight,I go around 200 lbs and my dosage was 4mg given very slowly.They put my niece into respiratory arrest using just 1mg trying to control a pain issue.
      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Taurkon View Post
        Ouch...at least us ladies have the option of passing something causing that much pain via C-Section
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

What kind of pills did they give you after you left?

Comment

Percocet. I believe it is similar to the US perscription of Vicodin (my oldest daughter was on it for months).

Comment

Working...
            X