X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Why Bin Leaden is not Getting a Trial

Saddam lawyers 'not ready' for trial
    By Andrew Gilligan, Evening Standard

Iraqi judges and prosecutors chosen to try Saddam Hussein are "nowhere near ready", according to western officials who saw them at a secret training session in London.

Amid growing recriminations, the advisers have claimed that the United Nations and Europe are refusing to provide the tribunal with desperately needed help.

Lt-Col Michael Newton, a US military lawyer from the West Point academy who took part in the training session in October, said: "The judges and prosecutors have much to learn about conducting complex trials in accordance with international law. But their calls for help are not being answered." The week-long session, kept secret for security reasons, brought together 42 Iraqis - almost the entire complement of the special tribunal - and a number of American advisers, including Col Newton, who are providing support.

The Iraqis were addressed by some prominent British figures, including human rights lawyer Geoffrey Robertson and the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Woolf. But the UN ordered serving staff - including experienced lawyers from the Yugoslavia war crimes tribunal - not to take part because of concerns about the fairness of the proposed trial procedure and the tribunal's willingness to impose the death penalty.

Britain and other European countries are reluctant to help openly for the same reasons.

One official who attended the sessions said: "The Iraqis know very little about how to manage a trial like this and they would be the first to admit that they were nowhere near ready. But it is outrageous that they are not being provided with more help."

Richard Dicker of Human Rights Watch, which recently released a scathing report on the tribunal, said there was "real panic" among US advisers, who had "mishandled" the preparation for the trial, leaving the tribunal with "neither forensic nor documentary evidence, nor many key witnesses". American forces failed to safeguard records and the sites of key massacres when they invaded, Mr Dicker said, and "real problems" about potential torture, lack of access to lawyers and other unfair treatment of defendants needed to be addressed before the tribunal could progress.

Speaking to Arab journalists this week, Qasim Dawud, the Iraqi national security minister, said no trials would start before the elections that are expected at the end of next month, and even then Saddam's would not be the first.

The toppled dictator, meanwhile, continues to be held in a small isolation cell at a base for "high-value" detainees at Baghdad airport. Visitors say he still refuses to accept he has done anything wrong and insists he remains president of Iraq.

http://www.thisislondon.com/til/jsp/...temId=15228122

It is good thing that the UN is not participating.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
      It is good thing that the UN is not participating.
      Absolutely right, Ray. There are many good reasons to NOT have them be a part of the process, and no good ones that I can think of.

Comment

Bin Laden is not a Human, he is a animal. Regardless of what the UN and their ilk say, he does not deserve a trial, and if he were to get one it would be years before we get to the actual trial, think of all the taxpaying money.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
          Bin Laden is not a Human, he is a animal.
          You insult the animals...
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
            You insult the animals...
            Then in that case I would say even the grass on my lawn has more dignity and morals then Osama and his scum.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
              Then in that case I would say even the grass on my lawn has more dignity and morals then Osama and his scum.
              Me too. I generally just call them "things", due to the lack of a suitable comparison.
              No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
              I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
              even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
              He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Do what the Pakistani police does, whenever they get a hold of a known criminal with influences high up. They take put him on a wrangler, say we're transporting him from here to there, push him off, and shoot him.

Next day the headlines read "X person killed in a police encounter trying to escape". All this happens if the person's not already shot on sight and the cops claim self-defence.

I agree with you guys, its highly unlikely Binny's gonna go, "You got me man, I totally did it!".... he'll plead insanity or something and get away with life-imprisonment in a psychiatric facility.

Comment

Usama and his fellow madmen deserve to be shot like the mad dogs they are. That will probably be their ultimate fate.
                  Asim Aquil. They take put him on a wrangler, say we're transporting him from here to there, push him off, and shoot him.
                  Even though some would like to see them face a legal trial, chances are that he/they can embarass too many high placed people around the world.
                  When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Well, I am a compassionate man. I say, if we catch him, we should let him go to make his own way back home.

Yep. No execution, no trial, even. I am totally serious; that's what I would do if I had contol over his fate. Nothin'. Let him walk away scot-free.

I'd even make a big deal about it, with announcements in the newspapers and on all TV stations: "We'll be releasing Osama bin Laden tomorrow at 3PM in downtown Manhattan, right next to Ground Zero, and all charges against him are dropped. He'll be given his own clothes back, so if you see him on the street, we encourage all New Yorkers to make sure to give him a fine send-off for his journey, and to treat him with all the friendliness, hospitality and compassion that a provoked New Yorker is famous for."

That's what I would do with him: nothin' at all.

Comment

I say we have our finest surgons preform a sex change operation and pump him full of female hormones and then send him to live in his beloved nation as a woman.
                      "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici
                        I say we have our finest surgons preform a sex change operation and pump him full of female hormones and then send him to live in his beloved nation as a woman.
                        He may already be a step ahead of that....with that long robe he wears.....no telling what is underneath...front or rear. He screwed up though when he confessed to 9/11, because if he is ever captured, he has no defense, unless that tape disappears or is proved unauthentic. But, I agree with VVV's sentencing view.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                          Well, I am a compassionate man. I say, if we catch him, we should let him go to make his own way back home.

Yep. No execution, no trial, even. I am totally serious; that's what I would do if I had contol over his fate. Nothin'. Let him walk away scot-free.

I'd even make a big deal about it, with announcements in the newspapers and on all TV stations: "We'll be releasing Osama bin Laden tomorrow at 3PM in downtown Manhattan, right next to Ground Zero, and all charges against him are dropped. He'll be given his own clothes back, so if you see him on the street, we encourage all New Yorkers to make sure to give him a fine send-off for his journey, and to treat him with all the friendliness, hospitality and compassion that a provoked New Yorker is famous for."

That's what I would do with him: nothin' at all.
                          hahahaha yeap, thats what he needs. One New York moment, and justice shall be served!

Comment

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici
                            So instead of getting 72 virgins, he be one himself.

Comment

I think its essential that no matter how much we despise these guys that we give them a fair trial. Otherwise we comprimise our own values, and succumb to mob mentality. Remember McCarthyism? Lets not repeat it.

Comment

Working...
                              X