Dambusters, the movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dambusters, the movie

I have only seen the old black and white version of this epic RAF feat, I am told there is, or soon to be a remake of it, but what disturbs me is I found out yesterday that one of the charachters names has been didgitally removed from the original, in light of the sensitive nature of the world these days, I wont repeat it on this forum for fear of being banned, but suffice to say the Leader of the mission was a man called Guy Gibson, and he had a Black Labrador dog, which sadly died whilst he was away on the flight as a result of being ran over, now this dog had a very unusual name, lets just say these days its become a very insulting word.

I can`t for the life of me understand why, when films these days are measured by how many swear words they have in them, that someting made 40 years ago would have one word edited, I am sure Die Hard 4 would be a very short film indeed based on the previous 3 outings,

Ps if you want to know the dogs name, PM me,

Yeh the dog was called 'The N word' :P Thats not racist, its a fact of films and history.

I think its actually more politically incorrect to change/remove that word from an old film like that. Its like says "Racist? Us? We have never been racist!"

Now if a film now had that word in, I would have probems. But there you go.
    Given that its actually historically accurate to have the dog called that, I think they were wrong to edit it.

Comment

Hence my reference to Die Hard, amongst others, the N word is used regularly in movies, so why remove it from an old film

Comment

Thats where your hitting something else I find funny. Black peeps can say the N word. Hell Chris rock has a show called 'I have N'ers' (Great show btw)

Its a Dog anyway! a frigging dog!

I hope there isnt a remake, its not really needed. The black and white one is still an excellent movie!

Comment

Agreed

Comment

I'll take the risk

Originally posted by Bob Jones View Post
            I have only seen the old black and white version of this epic RAF feat, I am told there is, or soon to be a remake of it, but what disturbs me is I found out yesterday that one of the charachters names has been didgitally removed from the original, in light of the sensitive nature of the world these days, I wont repeat it on this forum for fear of being banned, but suffice to say the Leader of the mission was a man called Guy Gibson, and he had a Black Labrador dog, which sadly died whilst he was away on the flight as a result of being ran over, now this dog had a very unusual name, lets just say these days its become a very insulting word.

I can`t for the life of me understand why, when films these days are measured by how many swear words they have in them, that something made 40 years ago would have one word edited, I am sure Die Hard 4 would be a very short film indeed based on the previous 3 outings,

Ps if you want to know the dogs name, PM me,
            I'll take the risk, because we here have had an issue here using that word .
            I mean no disrespect to African Americans. The dog's name was ******. That word is a terrible word and I don't blame anyone for being upset of taking offense at it and If my mentioning it has hurt someone I deeply apologize.

The issue we had here in Australia, concerned a person who was involved with a football club in Queensland for over forty years. He was very fair skinned, and with it he had snow white hair. It's pretty much Aussie tradition to give someone a "nickname" that is the opposite of what they look like or act like, for instance, Someone with red hair is called BLUE, A tall person is called TINY, a fat person is called SLIM, a person who's surname is POOLE, is called CES, a Bald person would be called CURLY. this person, with snow white hair was called ******. When he died, the club named a grandstand after him and called it "THE ****** BROWN STAND". The name was endorsed by the local Aboriginal tribe as he had a lot to do with them and helped them not just with football but in their general life. He raised money for poor black kids for school uniforms and even to feed some of the families.

The black people here HATE being referred to as ****** as much as Black African Americans, but gave their blessing to the naming of the stand.

Yes I do know the history of the word and also find it offensive when used out of context. The movie, "the dam busters" was set in WW2 when the word was not seen as it is now. The dog played a fairly big part in the movie and should be remembered as such. It's a hard call and I know a lot of people will be offended if it's put in, but it's a part of history. I believe the word should be used IN CONTEXT, EG: The black slaves were called ******s. We don't say "they were call a name we can't use" CONTEXT.

How many movies have been made about the holocaust, what happened there is much worse than calling someone a name but it's still shown as what the NAZIS did to the Jews, man against his fellow man.

http://www.creativespirits.de/resour...**-lovers.html

Government stands by the E.S. ****** Brown Stand - theage.com.au

Again, If this has offended anyone, black or white, I deeply apologize.

Freddie
            Last edited by furkensturker; 26 Oct 07,, 15:54. Reason: The word was used in context.
            Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
            vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

I agree - the dog's name is the dog's name. Like it or not. It represents the usage of language at the time etc.

The actual censoring of the film has taken two forms. ITV edited out the ****** related scenes completely after complaints from a previous showing. Channel 4 dubbed the dialogue to rename the dog Trigger (which actually brings another connotation because of the racist's chant for shooting black people ...) The BBC's recent film festival showed it uncensored.

ITV / Channel4 justified their decision on the basis that the edited version received fewer complaints. But then it would rely on those knowing the history to complain and if they did complain about accuracy in war movies it would mean John Wayne would never been seen on TV again.

In these days of interactive TV i think a better solution would be to have it uncensored and a "If you want to learn more about the issues with this film press the red button now" and people can sit and fume that 50 years ago ****** was used as a reference to dark (aside from related to person) but at least understand why a film depicting events containing the word, used the word. It enables the context to those who want it.

Remember, there was a loony who wanted Captain Scarlet amended because the baddy was Captain Black ......
              at

Comment

Those that claim they are offended really aren't offended. They know the history and the ways of those times.

They just want to get their name in the papers and their 15 minutes of Andy Warhol fame.

And if somebody creates a charitable foundation for them so much the better.
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

[QUOTE=VarSity;390236]Yeh the dog was called 'The N word' :P Thats not racist, its a fact of films and history.

I think its actually more politically incorrect to change/remove that word from an old film like that. Its like says "Racist? Us? We have never been racist!"

Now if a film now had that word in, I would have probems. But there you go.
                  Given that its actually historically accurate to have the dog called that, I think they were wrong to edit it.[/QUOT

I once saw that name wrote on a CHALKBOARD in school one day ?

Comment

Working...
                  X