PDA

View Full Version : WAB IRC Channel

Grim Reaper
12 Jul 07,, 18:59
Hey, I was wondering if WAB would consider getting an IRC Channel? It would allow members of WAB to all chat with eachother on an Instant Relay Chat room.

TopHatter
13 Jul 07,, 02:20
Hey, I was wondering if WAB would consider getting an IRC Channel? It would allow members of WAB to all chat with eachother on an Instant Relay Chat room.

I believe that was brought up before, but it was declined so we could concentrate on "just" being a message board :redface:

Shamus
13 Jul 07,, 03:10
I believe that was brought up before, but it was declined so we could concentrate on "just" being a message board :redface:You mean we would have to talk to each other in real-time chat as opposed to flinging a literary poop grenade and then ducking?Come on...:rolleyes: :biggrin:

Grim Reaper
13 Jul 07,, 03:38
Well I didn't know if it was brought up before because I did a search but didn't find a topic concerning it, so my bad anway. I just thought it would be a nice idea especially seeing how many other communities use it and it ends up being pretty successful, doesn't really change the forum much except bring people closer to eachother as friends. However, it's all up to you guys. ^_^

Shamus
13 Jul 07,, 03:43
Well I didn't know if it was brought up before because I did a search but didn't find a topic concerning it, so my bad anway. I just thought it would be a nice idea especially seeing how many other communities use it and it ends up being pretty successful, doesn't really change the forum much except bring people closer to eachother as friends. However, it's all up to you guys. ^_^Dude,I was just messing with you;) .Personally I wouldn't have any objections,it might be fun,but TH says the members didn't really find it appealing.

Ray
13 Jul 07,, 21:18
Members were asked?

glyn
13 Jul 07,, 21:44
Dude,I was just messing with you;) .Personally I wouldn't have any objections,it might be fun,but TH says the members didn't really find it appealing.

Bearing in mind not all WAB members are native English speakers. Those who do well at a keyboard may not be so confident or fluent in real-time vocal communication (if that is indeed what has been suggested). I feel it could put them at a disadvantage.

Grim Reaper
13 Jul 07,, 22:16
Gyln, your point is well taken. However, it's not like we'd demand complete fluent English on the IRC should we decide to have one. I'm sure we'd take into consideration your point, but we should also note that the advantages outnumber the disadvantages. I'm sure the members would like to chat in real time and it sure brings people closer on the forum when they understand eachother more. The IRC would mainly be based on the happenings of what is currently going on in WAB and anything appropriate the members wish to diccuss. Forum activity could also benefit, the IRC channel can be seen as an extention rather than something seperate to WAB.

Ray
13 Jul 07,, 22:23
I feel it will be a great help to the non English speaking members if they can converse real time. Errors in syntax and expression can be picked up when it is realtime.

For instance, in India, to learn correct pronunciation, students are asked to hear the BBC radio and it does help!

Likewise, I am sure the non English speaking members will get to learn sentence construction etc by seeing the sentences being written.

One would also be able to differentiate Americanism from English. I have personally benefited from the posts on this issue.

As far as native English speaking syntax is concerned, one should visit ARRSE. There are many words, thoughts, sentences that defy imagination and understanding. One would love to ask the meanings, but if it were an online discussion one would not be hesitant. But as a post, one is always a bit hesitant!

Just a thought of a non native English knowing person, whose first language is English as understood in India.

Grim Reaper
13 Jul 07,, 22:33
I've been apart of many IRC channels and I can tell you it's very helpful for learning. Especially, this community is very intellectual and are willing to help people. Our channel will be made up of mostly highly knowledgable and kind people anyway. Besides it's not like your going to get kicked off for not spelling a word correctly or leave out some punctuation. I'd say our current members know enough to communicate and understand eachother in real time chat even if they do make a few mistakes.

Edit, I've added a picture of how the IRC room will look:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5378/screenshotlu0.th.png (http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotlu0.png)

gunnut
14 Jul 07,, 01:43
IRC? Isn't that old school?

By the way, I demand all to speak Americanese in the IRC channel. Preferably 1337 5p34k with a California accent. :biggrin:

Shamus
14 Jul 07,, 01:57

By the way, I demand all to speak Americanese in the IRC channel. Preferably 1337 5p34k with a California accent. :biggrin:Ah don't speak Californese...strange dialect:tongue:

Ray
14 Jul 07,, 11:48
What is the accent of Donald Duck? ;) :)

Is he from Hollywood?

Southie
14 Jul 07,, 13:41

By the way, I demand all to speak Americanese in the IRC channel. Preferably 1337 5p34k with a California accent. :biggrin:

The only California accent I recall back in the 80's was "Valley Girl"! :biggrin: :rolleyes: Like...for sure...

TopHatter
14 Jul 07,, 18:30
but TH says the members didn't really find it appealing.
Actually what I could have stated more clearly is that the Admins at the time decided not to pursue it. ;)

Shamus
14 Jul 07,, 21:22
Actually what I could have stated more clearly is that the Admins at the time decided not to pursue it. ;)Ahhh..jumped on it hard with yer jackboots did ya??;) :biggrin:

TopHatter
14 Jul 07,, 22:47
Ahhh..jumped on it hard with yer jackboots did ya??;) :biggrin:Wasn't me :redface:
In fact, I don't recall that I was even an Admin at the time.

JAD_333
15 Jul 07,, 01:39
Used to chat real voice with an investment group and we all gave it up. It's not that it was bad per se, but we found the written word was more interesting because we had more time to think through issues, check facts and so on, plus you can be more concise. When we'd do live chat, we'd get long pauses or everyone would suddenly talk over each other.

Shamus
15 Jul 07,, 01:48
Wasn't me :redface:
In fact, I don't recall that I was even an Admin at the time.But ya do have the jackboots,don't ya?They came with the Admin title,right?Along with the whip and chair?:tongue: ;) :biggrin:

Jay
15 Jul 07,, 04:48
But ya do have the jackboots,don't ya?They came with the Admin title,right?Along with the whip and chair?:tongue: ;) :biggrin:

leather or latex ?? :biggrin:

TopHatter
15 Jul 07,, 14:44
Used to chat real voice with an investment group and we all gave it up.

It's not that it was bad per se, but we found the written word was more interesting because we had more time to think through issues, check facts and so on, plus you can be more concise.

When we'd do live chat, we'd get long pauses or everyone would suddenly talk over each other.
I agree on all points.

I've done voice chat as well (very briefly), just not nearly as much fun as written word.

But ya do have the jackboots,don't ya?They came with the Admin title,right?Along with the whip and chair?:tongue: ;) :biggrin:
Well of course I do! Not "true" jackboots I suppose, but they're comfortable enough :)