PDA

View Full Version : Putting a link in a few words

leib10
02 Jul 07,, 20:02
I've never learned how to do this. For instance, how would I write down a link in this form so that you could click it and it would take it to the designated site:

Read this

Any help?

Shek
02 Jul 07,, 21:12
I've never learned how to do this. For instance, how would I write down a link in this form so that you could click it and it would take it to the designated site:

Read this

Any help?

Leib,

vBulletin uses a modified version of html scripting (I'm not supersmart on html, but know some very rudimentary stuff) which is pretty simple.

All of your scripting tags use a "[" and "]" to open and close the script. I will replace those with "{" and "}" so it doesn't execute the script, meaning you wouldn't be able to see the language. Here it goes:

For a link, vBulletin uses

{url=www.this_is_the_link_that_will_open_when_clic ked.com}

as the opening tag and then

{/url}

as the closing tag for the script. By placing words in between the two tags, those words will be what shows in your post as the underlined link. For example, what you would see from above is as the opening tag and then and it will link to the site "www.this_is_the_link_that_will_open_when_clicked.c om".

So, to create a link to WAB with the text "read here", you'd write

{url=www.worldaffairsboard.com}read here{/url}

With the proper brackets, it looks like this when executed

read here (www.worldaffairsboard.com)

I hope this helps.

leib10
02 Jul 07,, 21:25
Yep, that did it. Thanks.

FibrillatorD
02 Jul 07,, 21:52
Or you can highlight the desired text, then click on the link button and paste the url inside the box (saves ~4 seconds).

glyn
02 Jul 07,, 22:38
Shek and Fibrillator can speak Martian, but this air-breathing, warm blooded, carbon-based, terrestrial-dwelling unit can NOT:mad:

Parihaka
02 Jul 07,, 23:45
Glyn, when looking at an interesting page, left click in the little box at the top that says something like this
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/....putting-link-few-words.html#post386692
this will highlight it and by pressing the ctrl key and the letter c key simultaneously, your computer will copy it.
Then when typing in your reply, write something like 'Source', highlight it by dragging your mouse across it whilst holding down the left mouse button, then click on the little globe with a chain below it on the toolbar above the reply box. If you rest your mouse on it, a little box will appear saying 'insert link'.
A second box will appear when you click on it, which says 'please enter the url of your link'.
press 'ctrl' & 'v' on your keyboard and ok. It will paste the link into the box, and use the text 'Source' or whatever other word you wish to use as the visible link.

Ray
02 Jul 07,, 23:55
{url=www.worldaffairsboard.com}read here{/url}

Parihaka's version

read here (www.worldaffairsboard.com)

Ray
02 Jul 07,, 23:56
Pari,

I cut and paste.

It did not work fo me.

Please give it step by step since I tried the one suggested and it did not work in the thread on London defused bombing

Ray
03 Jul 07,, 00:05
Parihaka,

Thanks

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 01:03
Pari,

I cut and paste.

It did not work fo me.

Please give it step by step since I tried the one suggested and it did not work in the thread on London defused bombing

Ray, just replace { and } with [ and ] (upper case vs lower case on the same keys), and you are there. I'll edit your post to demonstrate. Once I've done that you can edit the same post to see how it is done.

Ray
03 Jul 07,, 05:55
Ray, just replace { and } with [ and ] (upper case vs lower case on the same keys), and you are there. I'll edit your post to demonstrate. Once I've done that you can edit the same post to see how it is done.

Where is this {and} that you talk about?

In the defused bomb thread?

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 06:06
Where is this {and} that you talk about?

In the defused bomb thread?

Right here (http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/ministry-propaganda/39375-putting-link-few-words.html#post386710) Ray;)

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 06:08
I'll do a pictorial version tonight when I'm on my Mac, it's much easier to take partial screenshots with that.

Ray
03 Jul 07,, 12:41
Pari,

You little wizard of NewOZ! :biggrin:

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 13:31
Righty ho says I, there's an interesting news article, the good folks at WAB will want a gander at that.

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 13:33
I'll just move up and click on this bit so it is highlighted

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 13:35
Then while holding down the CTL key I'll also press the 'c' key, thus copying the address into a scrapbook. (Don't worry about where the scapbook is, it doesn't matter)

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 13:37
Next, back at WAB, having pressed post reply or some such, I get this screen

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 13:38
I type in the word Source, and highlight it with the mouse

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 13:42
Next I move up to the little icon in the toolbar above

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 13:47
When I press it, this happens.

(Note that you explorer users will get an altogether cruder looking box mid screen but the message is the same, as is what you do next)

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 13:50
By simply holding down the CTRL key and pressing the 'v' key, the URL or internet address of the news article gets pasted into the little box.

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 13:52
Press 'ok' and you should end up with this

Source (http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L22430602.htm)

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 13:57
Another thing to consider.

under User CP

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 13:58
Select 'Edit Options"

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 14:00
And down the bottom of the screen under the title miscellaneous you will find this

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 14:03
make sure the 'message editor interface' is set to the one shown, namely
"Standard editor - extra formatting controls", otherwise the insert url icon doesn't appear.

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 14:04
Don't forget when changing your editor formating controls that you 'save changes' at the bottom of the screen

Parihaka
03 Jul 07,, 14:12
One more suggestion, if your web browser has tabs, use them so you can swap easily between my descriptions here and your attempt on whatever thread: if you don't have tabs, get firefox and then you will.

glyn
03 Jul 07,, 14:40
Harry Parka, I am lost in admiration of your skills. Ever considered writing an illustrated book for the vast majority of computer users?

chankya
04 Jul 07,, 02:32
Righty ho says I, there's an interesting news article, the good folks at WAB will want a gander at that.

Don't you find Safari's character rendering kinda annoying? It makes my eyes water after a while. Or is it not that bad on the Mac?

Parihaka
04 Jul 07,, 03:23
Don't you find Safari's character rendering kinda annoying? It makes my eyes water after a while. Or is it not that bad on the Mac?
That was firefox masquerading as safari, and it's fine on a mac but I know what you mean on a pc

Parihaka
04 Jul 07,, 03:25
Harry Parka, I am lost in admiration of your skills. Ever considered writing an illustrated book for the vast majority of computer users?
:eek: I can't imagine anything worse:eek:

Ray
04 Jul 07,, 09:14
Well done, Professor.