Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan shuns US pressure for 'comfort women' apology

Japan shuns US pressure for 'comfort women' apology

TOKYO (AFP) - Japan on Wednesday brushed aside growing pressure from US lawmakers for a fresh apology for Tokyo's wartime sexual enslavement of an estimated 200,000 women.

"Our government stance has been clarified on many occasions, including (during) our prime minister's visit to the United States in April," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yasuhisa Shiozaki told a news conference.

"I don't think we want to add more than that."

By an overwhelming 39 votes to two, the House of Representatives foreign affairs committee on Tuesday passed a resolution calling for an "unambiguous" apology from Japan for the mass coercion of "comfort women" into army brothels.

The vote was met with warm applause in a committee room packed with people, including surviving Korean comfort women. The resolution now goes to a vote in the full House, which could come as early as mid-July.

Abe sparked controversy in March by saying there was no evidence the imperial army directly coerced thousands of women into brothels across Asia during World War II.

He has since stressed he stands by Japan's landmark 1993 apology to the women and expressed his sympathy for the women during his US visit in April.

"I already stated my view when I recently visited the United States," Abe told reporters Tuesday ahead of the US vote.

Asked about the impact the lawmakers' moves could have on bilateral ties, Abe said: "I am convinced that the Japan-US relations are unshakable as an indispensable alliance."

But critics say he has not taken back his initial remarks. Some 44 Japanese lawmakers, including those close to Abe, took out a full-page advertisement in The Washington Post earlier this month denying Japan's military forced the women into sexual slavery.
    sigpic

That damn idiot of a prime minister should seriously get shot.
    Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

Acctually the Japanese monarchy should apologise, seeing as they are the only leftovers from the government that went to war in the first place.

Japan has made plenty of apology's for a war now over for 60+ years.
      What happened to comfort women was sad but its time to move on.....
      Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

smilingassassin,

so, why does the japanese government "apologize" and open a compensatory fund that is funded by...private sources? in short, they acknowledge that something happened, they just refuse to apologize on behalf of JAPAN. thus, these apologies are personal in nature.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin View Post
          Acctually the Japanese monarchy should apologise, seeing as they are the only leftovers from the government that went to war in the first place.

You want to tell that to our Hong Kong vets? Time to move on and shove it with their compensation and apology demands?

Comment

Fine then, let us call what the nazis did to the Jews a small incident and nothing big. Have the germans say that and if any jews protest then tell them to move on from the past and condemn the jews actions.

In Germany, there are sometimes holocaust deniers, no one really likes or believe them. In Japan, people who claim that Japan fought a war to liberate Asia from the West draw large and sympathetic crowds.
            Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

isn't it at some level more about admitting you did something bad than apology? but then again if they were to admit without apology...that would change quite a lot of thing
              Last edited by Redem; 29 Jun 07,, 16:43.
              Wine is strong, a king is stronger, women are stronger still, but truth conquers all

Comment

Originally posted by wkllaw View Post
                In Germany, there are sometimes holocaust deniers, no one really likes or believe them.
                And they are send to jail.

Comment

Japanese cowards.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    You want to tell that to our Hong Kong vets? Time to move on and shove it with their compensation and apology demands?
                    Do I have to appologise for the Japanese in North America that were rounded up and interned in resettlement camps simply because they were Japanese?
                    Seriously I'm not unsimpathetic but this has been going on for decades, it has to stop some time. Our vets did a damn fine job, we won the war the Japanese were uterly defeated as were the Germans (adressed to wkllaw). How much more shame do we need to heap on em?

I once acctually had a list of appology's made by Japan for its actions in the war on my old computer thats now dead and gone, it was quite a long list.
                    Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

If Japanese wants to be shameless just let them be.. cuz that's the way they are. Oh well we don't really care about how they perform now cuz it doesn't really matter as Japan is only a secondary player in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockrocks View Post
                        If Japanese wants to be shameless just let them be..
                        There can be only one....
                        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                        X