General Patton info request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Patton info request

Hello, I am in progress with a model of General Patton (mentioned in model inventory thread) and have come to a stop with various items of clothing - his boots are non standard (or are they)?

Does anyone have any info or links on where I can get better images in various views of his trademark boots? Where they bespoke or bought from a known manufacturer.

Pistols, lots is said about his ivory handled pistols. Does anyone know who made them and what model number / version?

Also, if there are any other items that have particular peculiarities could you leave some info / links please?

Rustybattleship - I will post progress images but I am trying to get webspace / webhosting sorted out first. Presently I have progress shots but don't want to just post willy-nilly, quality rather than quantity.

Thank you in advance for any information!

A start anyway.

Patton Museum Online: Official General Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor featuring General George S. Patton Jr. Memorabilia & History

Comment

Originally posted by execrable View Post
      Hello, I am in progress with a model of General Patton (mentioned in model inventory thread) and have come to a stop with various items of clothing - his boots are non standard (or are they)?

Does anyone have any info or links on where I can get better images in various views of his trademark boots? Where they bespoke or bought from a known manufacturer.

Pistols, lots is said about his ivory handled pistols. Does anyone know who made them and what model number / version?

Rustybattleship - I will post progress images but I am trying to get webspace / webhosting sorted out first. Presently I have progress shots but don't want to just post willy-nilly, quality rather than quantity.

Thank you in advance for any information!
      As I recall, Pattons "boots" were not boots at all. Instead they were Army issue leather Leggins for Cavalry officers. Patton wore leggins like that during Pershings hunt for Pancho Villa and in WW I when he was a tank officer with French built Renault tanks. My late father-in-law wore leggins exactly like that when he was a Cavalry Officer in the Hungarian Real Army before WW II. Then when Germany took over he had to change to Jack Boots and a command car.

Patton was not one to dress conventionally BUT did use authorized Army uniform equipment including his snake lock belt buckle. It was similar to officer's buckles issued in WW I and were copied after Civil War buckles.

The gun he carried on his right side was a Colt Single Action Army chambered in .45 Long Colt. It was his favorite gun that he carried even in Mexico and took out a couple of Villa's "soldiers" with it. The other gun was a Smith & Wesson .38 special on a standard S&W "K" frame.

Since Colt S.A. Army pistols were standard issue at one time as well as the .38 S&W (replaced by the 1911 Colt .45 ACP) he was never out of uniform. A bit dated perhaps, but even in WW II we still had some mounted troops that wore leather leggins and some carried S.A. revolvers as long as the Army kept supplying them with ammo.

Also remember that at the start of WW II our regular troops did not have 9-inch boots as of today. They wore a high top shoe with Canvas leggins for brush and thorn protection. Later the boots were replaced with another type of high top with a leather shin guard that buckled on the sides. It wasn't until later in the war when the "Paratrooper" boots were made in enough quantities to issue to everybody.

According to the movie with George C. Scott playing Patton (though he was far too short) the General also carried a .380 pocket pistol under his shirt.

Not surprising as General Douglas MacArthur carried a double barreled .41 caliber Derringer under his.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Rusty,

That was an excellent post. I did not know about the canvas leggins. My dad who was in the Royal Indian Army during WWII also has those. Except in the desert (8th Army) They would have been hot as hell!!

Comment

Rusty... I'm speechless.

Thank you so much. I will dedicate the model to you when it's done. Also, if you want a resin copy (I never bother painting my models) you can have one free.

Again, thank you SO much. texasjohn, thank you too. Priceless information.

Comment

Ooops. My error. Pattons S&W was in .357 magnum vs. .38 special. Found a great site showing his guns including his .380 hide-out pistols.

General Patton's Pistols - Colt 45 and SW 357

Will be coming up later with some pics I've found on leggins. AND a model of Patton (somebody beat you to it).

Comment

Hope these pics will help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Rusty.. given a choice, who would you follow into battle ... Patton or MacArthur? (Hypothetical of course!! as you are Navy)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  Rusty.. given a choice, who would you follow into battle ... Patton or MacArthur? (Hypothetical of course!! as you are Navy)
                  I don't know about Rusty but I don't think you could find a bigger magnet for enemy fire than those two! ;)
                  Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                  (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                    None of the above, especially MacArthur. Nimitz had a better idea of beating Japan by destroying its Navy first. The islands could have been taken easier by setting up chow lines for the Japanese upon surrender when they got hungry enough.

No kidding. One of my co-workers was a Marine demolition expert (also served on two Battleships). He said the Japanese soldiers were so starved they would sneak into our chow lines for food. They didn't disguise themselves very well but we felt sorry for them.

Also, if you were in the back row watching a movie and heard giggling behind you, don't turn around. The Japanese were also watching Donald Duck.

Personally, I think H. Norman Swarzkoph was our best General of the 20th century.

Comment

Creighton Abrams was probalby the best of the last 100 years but America had so many greats that it is hard to say.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                        AND a model of Patton (somebody beat you to it).
                        I never thought I'd be first, this was something I'm doing for me. Done far too many "creature" and spaceship models recently and so am challenging myself to a human and a very recognisable one at that.

Thanks again to all for the info.

Comment

I may have been a tad off on what Patton's footwear was. I recalled the calf length tops as leggins like my father-in-law wore when he was a Cavalry Officer. I used to have them but apparently disposed of them because they were far too small for me (he was also a professional jockey and I'm 5-11). So I can't take a picture of them for you.

But there was a type of Cavalry boot that looked like leggins and is claimed to be Patton's favorite dress-up foot wear.

I also found an ebay item of the type of General Officer's buckle he wore.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pics Rusty - they answer a drawing problem I've been having working from this image -

photos 53

I loved the story of patton urinating into the Rhine and I've been working from the pic above - however as you might see, the details are very blurred.

Apologies for long delay, it's been incredibly busy here but I will get to some serious drawing and modeling in the next two weeks.

Comment

A couple of images from the metal workbench after I'd brazed the underneath Metal Structure together.

(Nothing exciting so far but progress cheers me on...)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X