Which Processor ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Processor ???

This has prolly been done to death, but I am buying a new computer, so I need some advice from experts.

Basically I am down to choosing between these four processors:

1) Intel Core Duo Proc E6600, 4MB L2 Cache 2.4 Ghz 1066 FSB

2) AMD Athalon 64 X 2 Dual Core 3000+ (I thinK it is 1.9 Ghz)

3) Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz,800FSB

4) Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5500 (2MB L2 cache, 1.66GHz, 667 MHz FSB) ----- Laptop

My requirements are:

Work: Multi-tasking with heavy data loads, Linux, Databases

Personal: No Gaming involved, but seeks high quality video , photoshop and that sort of thing.

Thx in advance!
    Last edited by Dr Fu Manchu; 09 Jun 07,, 16:28.

Or another comparison:

Which of the two is a better deal(Keeping in view the requirements menbtioned in previous post):

Option A: Costs $ 1435

Module Description Show Details
    Dimension C521 AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3600+, english
    Operating System Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium, english
    Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 4DIMMs
    Monitors Dell 19 inch SE198WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
    Video Cards 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
    Hard Drives 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
    Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
    Modem 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
    CD or DVD Drive 16x DVD+/-RW Drive
    Sound Cards Integrated Sound Blaster®Audigy™ HD Software Edition
    TV Tuners & Remote Controls ATI Theater 650 PRO Combo Analog/Digital TV Tuner w/Remote Control

VS

Option B: Costs Costs $1625 and if upgraded to Core 2 Duo Processor E6600 then $ 1850.

Processor Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB) Operating System Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium, english
    Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 4DIMMs
    Video Cards Free Upgrade to 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro - $120 Value
    Hard Drives 320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
    Network Card Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet
    Modem Integrated 56K Data / Fax modem
    CD or DVD Drive 8x DVD+/-RW Drive
    Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    TV Tuners & Remote Controls ATI Theater 650 PRO Combo Analog/Digital TV Tuner w/Remote Control

Comment

Not an answer but an observation. :) If you are able to afford it I would suggest you get a bigger monitor than the 19" on offer. As the monitor is the interface between you and your computer then get the best you can afford. Although there are bigger ones available I opted for a 24" widescreen. These give a resolution of 1,960 x 1,200 pixels which is superb. Once you've seen one of these anything smaller will be simply inadequate.
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Take core 2 duo, nothing beats it, E6600 is nice.

That graphics card is crap, you wont be able to run vista smoothly in a DX 09 card, get a Dx10 card!

Get a 16x minimum DVR RW if your getting a desktop.

I'm myself on a 17 inch flat monitor lol, if you want to buy a TFT monitor, get a moinitor with a S-IPS panels with true 8 bit true color means (16.7 million color and not 16.2), if S-IPs panel is not available get a MVA panel.

320 GB HDD is fine get the latest revision of Seagate 7200.10 or Hitachi one.

visit this website for further queries,

TechEnclave check out the forums :) cheers!

Comment

If you opt for a laptop get the smallest screen available, I prefer a 12.1 inch (Dell XPX M1210) or better still a fujitsu (their screens are gorgeous!) 13.3 inchers or Sony Vaio.

Get the least pwoer hungry proccy, but core 2 duo ofcourse, prefer 5400 HDD over 7200 RPM to icnrease bateery life.

Comment

Processor rankings are as follows:

1. Core 2 Duo
            2. Athlon X2
            3. Core Duo (same as Pentium M dual core)
            4. Pentium D (same as Pentium 4 dual core)

Go for Core 2 if at all possible. The only time you sacrifice a Core 2 for Athlon X2 is when graphics is involved. Many Core 2 laptops come with integrated Intel graphics. It's enough for everyday use, but not close to the nVidia integrated graphics in performance.

You don't need a DX10 video card to run Vista. Vista itself is running on DX9. DX10 is mainly for games, which there are none at this point. You do need a fairly good DX9 card to run Vista smoothly though. Integrated stuff will be jerky at best.

For your needs:

Work: Multi-tasking with heavy data loads, Linux, Databases

Personal: No Gaming involved, but seeks high quality video , photoshop and that sort of thing.
            Option A is much better. Athlon X2 is a far superior processor to anything out there except for Core 2 Duo. It uses less energy than anything except for the ... Core 2 Duo.

Stay away from Pentium 4/D. Those things are better as space heaters than computers.

If you are going for a laptop, I recommend HP laptops. I used to recommend Dells, but their quality has gone downhill somewhat and pricing has increased. I no longer endorse Dell laptops for people I know.

To elaborate on video card and Vista performance, I have tried Vista on computers with the worst DX9 card ever created (GeForce FX 5200) to integrated Intel 950 to integrated nVidia 6100 to GeForce 6800 SLI to GeForce 7600. The FX and all the integrated stuff aren't as smooth as GeForce 6800 and 7600 series. FX and Intel being the worst. They are slow and jerky. nVidia 6100 is marginal at best. Not as slow and jerky as the Intel board and GF 5200, but not as smooth as the later boards.

I have not tried Radeon x13/14 nor GF 72/73 series. They usually perform far worse than the x1600 and GF 76 series, but probably better than the integrated stuff.
            Last edited by gunnut; 09 Jun 07,, 19:42.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

The one and only.

Comment

glyn you wont get full vistas visual effects without Dx10, it uses a Dx9 compatible driver to do things, but then again who cares? lol I use XP btw, dont get Pentium D, heats like crazy!

glyn acually here from my cousins experience HP isnt performing that good lol, I'm in love with XPS M1210, XpS is premium series of Dell.

Comment

Originally posted by joey View Post
                  glyn you wont get full vistas visual effects without Dx10, it uses a Dx9 compatible driver to do things, but then again who cares? lol I use XP btw, dont get Pentium D, heats like crazy!

glyn acually here from my cousins experience HP isnt performing that good lol, I'm in love with XPS M1210, XpS is premium series of Dell.
                  It's not me Joey, but Dr Fu Manchu
                  Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I second the Core 2 Duo

Comment

Me too. Don't go for the AMD.
                      "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
                        Me too. Don't go for the AMD.
                        There's nothing wrong with the AMD processor, especially with a price tag of $59 for the entry level dual core processor.

The cheapest Core 2 Duo is $117.

Then there's the board cost. AMD boards are traditionally cheaper than Intel boards.

If cost is no concern, then go for Core 2. If you're looking for bang for the buck, then AMD is a very viable choice.

Note: all prices taken from Newegg.com

Comment

My friend had one. It was absolute crap. Maybe there were other factors involved, but I was pretty sure it was the processor's fault.
                          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
                            My friend had one. It was absolute crap. Maybe there were other factors involved, but I was pretty sure it was the processor's fault.
                            My last 2 gaming machines are AMD AthlonXP and Athlon64 X2. Both kick some good ass. I have my X2 overclocked from 2GHz to 2.4GHz, and running more stable than before.

I think your friend's machine might have some other troubles. Usually the motherboard is not up to par with the rest of the components. I'm very picky about my boards.

Comment

AMD processors are good except they tend to heat up like billyo. So if you're getting a laptop then I don't suggest it but for a desktop as long as you have good heat dissipation AMD is awesome.
                              "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

Working...
                              X