• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sears

Subject: Sears - of all companies
    Today, I received this email from a friend.* He said:
    ================================================== =
    I know I needed this reminder since Sears isn't always my first choice.* Amazing when you think of how long the war has lasted and they haven't withdrawn from their commitment. * Could we each buy at least one thing at Sears this year?
    How does Sears treat its employees who are called up for military duty? *By law, they are required to hold their jobs open and available, but nothing more. Usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of *being called up.
    Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years.
    I submit that Sears is an exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution* I suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well deserves.
    Pass it on.
    Decided to check this before I sent it forward. So I sent the following e-mail to the Sears Customer Service Department:
    I received this e-mail and I would like to know if it is true. If it is, the Internet may have just become one very good source of advertisement for your company. I know I would go out of my way to buy products from Sears instead of another store for a like item, even if it's cheaper at that store.
    This is their answer to my e-mail:
    Dear Customer:
    Thank you for contacting Sears.The information is factual. We appreciate your positive feedback.
    Sears regards service to our country as one of greatest sacrifices our young men and women can make. We are happy to do our part to lessen the burden they bear at this time.
    Bill Thorn
    Sears Customer Care
    >> [ mailto:[email protected] ][email protected]
    1-800-349-4358
    Please pass this on to all your friends. Sears needs to be recognized for this outstanding contribution and we need to show them as Americans, we do appreciate what they are doing for our military!!!
    It's Verified ! By Snopes.comat:
    [ Urban Legends Reference Pages: Sears ]http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.asp (shows the entire article)
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
    sigpic

Originally posted by Southie View Post
    Subject: Sears - of all companies
    Today, I received this email from a friend.* He said:
    ================================================== =
    I know I needed this reminder since Sears isn't always my first choice.* Amazing when you think of how long the war has lasted and they haven't withdrawn from their commitment. * Could we each buy at least one thing at Sears this year?
    How does Sears treat its employees who are called up for military duty? *By law, they are required to hold their jobs open and available, but nothing more. Usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of *being called up.
    Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years.
    I submit that Sears is an exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution* I suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well deserves.
    Pass it on.
    Decided to check this before I sent it forward. So I sent the following e-mail to the Sears Customer Service Department:
    I received this e-mail and I would like to know if it is true. If it is, the Internet may have just become one very good source of advertisement for your company. I know I would go out of my way to buy products from Sears instead of another store for a like item, even if it's cheaper at that store.
    This is their answer to my e-mail:
    Dear Customer:
    Thank you for contacting Sears.The information is factual. We appreciate your positive feedback.
    Sears regards service to our country as one of greatest sacrifices our young men and women can make. We are happy to do our part to lessen the burden they bear at this time.
    Bill Thorn
    Sears Customer Care
    >> [ mailto:[email protected] ][email protected]
    1-800-349-4358
    Please pass this on to all your friends. Sears needs to be recognized for this outstanding contribution and we need to show them as Americans, we do appreciate what they are doing for our military!!!
    It's Verified ! By Snopes.comat:
    [ Urban Legends Reference Pages: Sears ]http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.asp (shows the entire article)
    I hope companies like this make a bazillion dollars. I hope the ones that break the law go flat broke and their CEOs go to jail.

Comment

Thanks for the info. While I don't often shop at Sears after this I intend to make a point of giving them more of my business in the future and forwarding this information along to others. Well done Sears!
      Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Comment

If it weren't for Sears and their policies, Adam Walsh would possibly still be alive and his father wouldn't be hosting America's Most Wanted.
        Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
          If it weren't for Sears and their policies, Adam Walsh would possibly still be alive and his father wouldn't be hosting America's Most Wanted.
          Say what????

Comment

This is from Wikipedia. I forget that some people may not remember:

Adam John Walsh (November 14, 1974 - July 27, 1981) was an American boy abducted from a Sears department store at the Hollywood Mall
            in Hollywood, Florida, on July 27, 1981, and later found murdered. No one was ever arrested or tried for the crime.

Adam's death earned national publicity, and Adam's father, John Walsh, later became an advocate for victims of violent crime and the
            host of the television program America's Most Wanted.

Adam's mother, Revé, let him play video games while she shopped at a Sears store in Hollywood, Florida, for a lamp. The children were
            making noise while playing the video game.

When Revé returned to the video game section, she was frightened to find that Adam was not there. She then told a Sears associate,
            who announced over the intercom for Adam to meet his mother at one of the information desks. Revé later said that she had no confidence
            that Adam would be able to locate the desks. Adam and his mother were never reunited. There are claims that a security guard threw the
            young child out of the store. This part of the story was never confirmed. Investigators think Adam had been mistakenly associated with a
            group of older children who were causing trouble and told to leave the shopping mall. It is suspected that Adam was abducted near the
            front exterior of the store after the other boys went on their way.

Adam's severed head was found in Vero Beach, Florida, canal on August 10, 1981; the rest of his remains were never recovered.

When the Walshes attempted to sue Sears, Sears brought a counter suit. The Walshes dropped the charges.

The kidnapping and murder prompted Adam's father, John Walsh, to become an advocate for victims' rights and helped to spur the formation
            of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC). As a result of his advocacy, he was approached to host the television
            program America's Most Wanted.

The Code Adam program for helping lost children in department stores is named in Walsh's memory.

The U.S. Congress passed the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act on July 25, 2006, and President Bush signed it into law on
            July 27, 2006. The bill signing ceremony took place on the South Lawn of the White House, where leaders from both sides of the political
            spectrum joined John and Revé Walsh. The bill institutes a national database of convicted child molesters, increases penalties for sexual
            and violent offenses against children, and creates a RICO cause of action for child predators and those who conspire with them.
            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
              This is from Wikipedia. I forget that some people may not remember:

Adam John Walsh (November 14, 1974 - July 27, 1981) was an American boy abducted from a Sears department store at the Hollywood Mall
              in Hollywood, Florida, on July 27, 1981, and later found murdered. No one was ever arrested or tried for the crime.

Adam's death earned national publicity, and Adam's father, John Walsh, later became an advocate for victims of violent crime and the
              host of the television program America's Most Wanted.

Adam's mother, Revé, let him play video games while she shopped at a Sears store in Hollywood, Florida, for a lamp. The children were
              making noise while playing the video game.

When Revé returned to the video game section, she was frightened to find that Adam was not there. She then told a Sears associate,
              who announced over the intercom for Adam to meet his mother at one of the information desks. Revé later said that she had no confidence
              that Adam would be able to locate the desks. Adam and his mother were never reunited. There are claims that a security guard threw the
              young child out of the store. This part of the story was never confirmed. Investigators think Adam had been mistakenly associated with a
              group of older children who were causing trouble and told to leave the shopping mall. It is suspected that Adam was abducted near the
              front exterior of the store after the other boys went on their way.

Adam's severed head was found in Vero Beach, Florida, canal on August 10, 1981; the rest of his remains were never recovered.

When the Walshes attempted to sue Sears, Sears brought a counter suit. The Walshes dropped the charges.

The kidnapping and murder prompted Adam's father, John Walsh, to become an advocate for victims' rights and helped to spur the formation
              of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC). As a result of his advocacy, he was approached to host the television
              program America's Most Wanted.

The Code Adam program for helping lost children in department stores is named in Walsh's memory.

The U.S. Congress passed the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act on July 25, 2006, and President Bush signed it into law on
              July 27, 2006. The bill signing ceremony took place on the South Lawn of the White House, where leaders from both sides of the political
              spectrum joined John and Revé Walsh. The bill institutes a national database of convicted child molesters, increases penalties for sexual
              and violent offenses against children, and creates a RICO cause of action for child predators and those who conspire with them.
              I also read that, a couple of times today, and wondered how Sears really had anything to do with his abduction. It is truly sad what happened, but he was six years old and left alone three aisles away from his mother. It only takes seconds for a child to be abducted. It was also said in another article that Adam was quiet, and probably didn't want to say anything when the security guard asked the kids if their parents were in the store.
              “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
              "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I'm sorry. Bad things happen to good people once in a while. God knows no parent can or should watch their children all the time. Sears isn't responsible for the existence of wackos.

Comment

That's unfortunate to be sure but blaming Sears for what happened to Adam Walsh is totally the wrong target. First and foremost whoever abducted the boy is the one to blame, and then the mother has to assume some responsibility for leaving the boy alone in the store. Retail stores are not responsible to act as babysitters for harried parents.

We Americans are the most litigious society in the world, we have educated our people into the belief that if something bad happens then it is most likely someone else’s fault.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Comment

Originally posted by tim52 View Post
                    We Americans are the most litigious society in the world, we have educated our people into the belief that if something bad happens then it is most likely someone else’s fault.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
                    bullseye. well said tim.
                    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X