PDA

View Full Version : Coalition: Taliban have Iran arms

xrough
31 May 07,, 09:12
Coalition: Taliban have Iran arms

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Weapons crossing the border from Iran to Afghanistan may be winding up in the hands of the Taliban, the hard-line Islamic militia that is battling U.S.- and NATO-led forces in Afghanistan, U.S. and British officials said.

Coalition officials in Afghanistan said they have intercepted Iranian-made AK-47s, C-4 plastic explosives and mortars. One explosively-formed penetrator bomb (EFP) that was found can pierce American armor, a NATO official said.

The EFP is similar to the weaponry the United States says Iran has provided to militants in Iraq, but the NATO official said the weapon has not been traced directly to the Iranian regime.

Some analysts question whether the top echelons of the Iranian government are behind any transfer of arms from the Islamic Republic to the Taliban, Iran's long-time foe. Rogue elements -- perhaps the Quds force of Iran's Revolutionary Guard -- may be operating on their own, the analysts suggest.

But a U.S. official who requested anonymity told CNN the United States believes Iran's supreme leaders know about these operations and could stop them if they wanted to.

Another U.S. official said Iran still sees the Taliban as an enemy but has a history of dealing with people it considers "nasty" as long as it is "congruent with Iran's overall objectives." In this case, Iran is "working the Taliban angle" to "bleed the U.S." in Afghanistan, the official said.

The British government called any provision of arms by Iran to the Taliban "unacceptable."

"We know about illegal movements of munitions across the border from Iran to Afghanistan, destined for the Taliban," the British Ministry of Defense said in a statement. "We are concerned that some of these munitions are of Iranian origin."

A former U.S. intelligence official said Iranian activities in Afghanistan would be a disturbing development.

"That suggests the Iranians are now turning up the pressure on the NATO forces in Afghanistan," said former national security official Bruce Riedel. "Since Iran has one of the most extensive intelligence networks in the entire country, they would have an enormous capability to cause mischief."

Denial by Iran
An Iranian official at the United Nations denied his country is giving weapons to the Taliban, noting that the Iranian government has long supported Afghan President Hamid Karzai and has always seen the Taliban as an enemy.

Both U.S. officials and outside analysts said any malicious intentions on Iran's part would only be directed at the United States. The majority-Shiite Iran would not want the Taliban to gain too much strength, they said.

"Iran and the Taliban nearly went to war in 1998 over the killing of 11 Iranian diplomats in Afghanistan," said Afshin Molavi of the New American Foundation, a non-profit, public policy institute based in Washington. "And the Taliban are also virulently anti-Shiite. So if these allegations are true, Iran is playing a very dangerous and delicate game."

One analyst called it a game of "managed chaos," just enough to bloody America's nose in Afghanistan.

Dreadnought
31 May 07,, 16:47
And Im guessing that the Turks that just confiscated a train of Iranian weapons bound for Hezbollah via Syria were also imagining things as well. What will it take to prove to people that Iran sponsors the terrorism groups that are responsible for the attacks in several countries.

omon
31 May 07,, 18:31
taliban has arms from all over the world, may even still have american stingers, that cia gave to use against soviets, but i wouldn,t worry about it too much, unless russians will return the favor and supply taliban with newest atgm, rpg 29, or shouler fired aaa missles, but i doubt they will.

RustyBattleship
01 Jun 07,, 04:04
We certainly have come a long way in Arab owned weapons. A friend of mine was a crewman aboard the USS Rendova (CVE-114) shortly after WW II. He showed me a picture he took as they were passing through the Suez Canal.

Like out of a Grade B adventure movie, there was an Arab squatting down behnid his Camel (Dromedary on its knees) and firing a long-barreled muzzle-loading rifle at the ship.

Of course, the lead mini-balls just bounced off the shell plating and most of the crew just laughed at the guy.

Looking back, they should have mounted a couple of .50 caliber machineguns on the gallery deck and made a meat loaf out of both the "Ship of the Desert" and the "Idot of the Desert".

glyn
01 Jun 07,, 09:27
We certainly have come a long way in Arab owned weapons. A friend of mine was a crewman aboard the USS Rendova (CVE-114) shortly after WW II. He showed me a picture he took as they were passing through the Suez Canal.

Like out of a Grade B adventure movie, there was an Arab squatting down behnid his Camel (Dromedary on its knees) and firing a long-barreled muzzle-loading rifle at the ship.

Of course, the lead mini-balls just bounced off the shell plating and most of the crew just laughed at the guy.

Looking back, they should have mounted a couple of .50 caliber machineguns on the gallery deck and made a meat loaf out of both the "Ship of the Desert" and the "Idot of the Desert".

Spare the 'Ship of the Desert'. Pulverise the idiot.

sappersgt
02 Jun 07,, 02:53
Spare the 'Ship of the Desert'. Pulverise the idiot.

I concur with trying to save the camel. In the event that's not possible let's not let it go to waste.:tongue:
Whole Stuffed Camel Recipe | Recipezaar (http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=67495)

Ray
07 Jun 07,, 14:23
Dreadnought,

The Iranian arms in the Turkish train crash were of US origin! I can't locate the post (I remember it was a Big K post) and that is what surprised me and I queried that.

Somehow, I have the feeling that such weapons are available in the grey market in abundance and therefore it makes a huge mockery of the shenanigan that is made over who gave what.

However, here is an ingenuous way how Iran is putting pressure on the US. None can fault Iran and yet with 1 million returning, it will surely put a strain on the fledging Afghan govt and the ISAF initiatives.

Afghanistan ill-prepared as Iran deports thousands

By Jason Motlagh
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
June 7, 2007

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Nearly 100,000 Afghan migrants have been expelled from Iran over the past month and the total could reach 1 million by next spring, according to Tehran officials who say they are trying to protect the jobs of Iranians.
The mass repatriation is straining the resources of the Afghan government and international aid agencies operating in the region.............................

Afghanistan ill-prepared as Iran deports thousands*-*World*-*The Washington Times, America's Newspaper (http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/20070606-112514-6389r.htm)

Dreadnought
08 Jun 07,, 18:31
Dreadnought,

The Iranian arms in the Turkish train crash were of US origin! I can't locate the post (I remember it was a Big K post) and that is what surprised me and I queried that.

Somehow, I have the feeling that such weapons are available in the grey market in abundance and therefore it makes a huge mockery of the shenanigan that is made over who gave what.

However, here is an ingenuous way how Iran is putting pressure on the US. None can fault Iran and yet with 1 million returning, it will surely put a strain on the fledging Afghan govt and the ISAF initiatives.

Sir, Every article I have found on this train states Iranian involvment not U.S.

WORLD IN BRIEF
Thursday, May 31, 2007; Page A16

Turkey Seizes Weapons On Train Bound for SyriaNKARA, Turkey -- Turkish authorities seized weapons hidden among construction materials on a train headed to Syria from Iran after Kurdish guerrillas bombed and derailed the train, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

The cargo was discovered when authorities checked containers on the train, which was attacked by the guerrillas May 25, prosecutor Ismail Sari told reporters Wednesday.

The Iranian Embassy denied that the weapons belonged to Iran and said the allegations were being made "by circles" aiming to disrupt Turkey's close relations with Iran.

Earlier in the day, a government official said the cargo included machine guns and pistols.

Turkey Seizes Syria-Bound Weapons - Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-turkey-weapons,0,503027.story)

Turkey Seizes Syria-Bound Weapons | World Latest | Guardian Unlimited (http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6672578,00.html)

Turkey seizes Syria-bound weapons - 05/30/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/world/AP/story/123898.html)

glow
10 Jun 07,, 22:18
Does anyone just kinda go duuh??? Why is this a surprise and Why is this getting so over hyped.

This is like saying if the US went to war in the Ukraine we should be surprised that insurgents have Russian made weapons. :rolleyes:
Major Arms manufacturer (Iran) + Major arms dealers in a region + demmand = duh.

Parihaka
11 Jun 07,, 00:26
I concur with trying to save the camel. In the event that's not possible let's not let it go to waste.:tongue:
Whole Stuffed Camel Recipe | Recipezaar (http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=67495)

Yuuummmmm:biggrin:

Parihaka
11 Jun 07,, 00:28
Dreadnought,

Ray, Big K made the claim but was unable to supply any links, and I wasn't able to find any other evidence for them being US-made arms on the net.