Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cindy Sheehan quits

Sheehan resigns as war protest leader - Conflict in Iraq - MSNBC.com

FORT WORTH, Texas - Cindy Sheehan, the soldier’s mother who galvanized an anti-war movement with her monthlong protest outside President Bush’s ranch, says she’s done being the public face of the movement.

“I’ve been wondering why I’m killing myself and wondering why the Democrats caved in to George Bush,” Sheehan told The Associated Press by phone Tuesday while driving from her property in Crawford to the airport, where she planned to return to her native California.

“I’m going home for awhile to try and be normal,” she said.

In what she described as a “resignation letter,” Sheehan wrote in her online diary on the “Daily Kos” blog: “Good-bye America ... you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can’t make you be that country unless you want it.

“It’s up to you now.”

Sheehan began a grassroots peace movement in August 2005 when she set up camp outside the Bush ranch for 26 days, asking to talk with the president about the death of her son, Army Spc. Casey Sheehan. Casey Sheehan was 24 when he was killed in an ambush in Baghdad.

Protests grew in size
    Cindy Sheehan started her protest small, but it quickly drew national attention. Over the following two years, she drew huge crowds as she spoke at protest events, but she also drew a great deal of criticism.

“I have endured a lot of smear and hatred since Casey was killed and especially since I became the so-called “Face” of the American anti-war movement,” Sheehan wrote in the diary.

Kristinn Taylor, spokesman for FreeRepublic.com, which has held pro-troop rallies and counter-protests of anti-war demonstrations, said dwindling crowds at Sheehan's Crawford protests since her initial vigil may have led to her decision. But he also said he hopes she will now be able to heal.

"Her politics have hurt a lot of people, including the troops and their families, but most of us who support the war on terror understand she is hurt very deeply," Taylor said Tuesday. "Those she got involved with in the anti-war movement realize it was to their benefit to keep her in that stage of anger."

‘Heartbreaking conclusions’
    On Memorial Day, she came to some “heartbreaking conclusions,” she wrote.

When she had first taken on Bush, Sheehan was a darling of the liberal left. “However, when I started to hold the Democratic Party to the same standards that I held the Republican Party, support for my cause started to erode and the 'left' started labeling me with the same slurs that the right used,” she wrote.

“I guess no one paid attention to me when I said that the issue of peace and people dying for no reason is not a matter of 'right or left', but 'right and wrong,'” the diary says.

Sheehan criticized “blind party loyalty” as a danger, no matter which side it involved, and said the current two-party system is “corrupt” and “rapidly descending into with nary a check or balance: a fascist corporate wasteland.”

Harsh national assessment
    Sheehan said she had sacrificed a 29-year marriage and endured threats to put all her energy into stopping the war. What she found, she wrote, was a movement “that often puts personal egos above peace and human life.”

But she said the most devastating conclusion she had reached “was that Casey did indeed die for nothing ... killed by his own country which is beholden to and run by a war machine that even controls what we think.”

“Casey died for a country which cares more about who will be the next American Idol than how many people will be killed in the next few months while Democrats and Republicans play politics with human lives,” she wrote. “It is so painful to me to know that I bought into this system for so many years and Casey paid the price for that allegiance. I failed my boy and that hurts the most.”

“I am going to take whatever I have left and go home,” Sheehan wrote. “Camp Casey has served its purpose. It’s for sale. Anyone want to buy five beautiful acres in Crawford, Texas?”

Sheehan told the AP that she had considered leaving the peace movement since last summer while recovering from surgery.

She said she was returning to California on Tuesday because it was Casey’s birthday. He would have been 28.

“We’ve accomplished as much here as we’re going to,” Sheehan told the AP. “When we come back, it definitely won’t be with the peace movement with marches, with rallies and with protests. It will be more humanitarian efforts.”

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    How surprising? A liberal defeaticrat quits her fight. This following Rosie quiting The View because she couldn't handle a real debate with facts rather than shouting and emotions. If only islamic terrorists were this easy...
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

My original comment about this worthless whore still stands.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
      My original comment about this worthless whore still stands.

-dale
      worthless whore?? is she??? almost entire world knows her name, her reasons to do what she did, and a lot can recognize her face. she has balls,

did you accomplish anything close to what she did? would you have balls to even start anything like that?? open faced in front of the whole world, not behind screen name on the net? . pick your wording wise next time.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Personally anyone who loses a loved one, during this conflict has the right to protest, I find your comments to be offensive, she was only doing what she thought was right, and no one should be criticised for that

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Jones View Post
          Personally anyone who loses a loved one, during this conflict has the right to protest, I find your comments to be offensive, she was only doing what she thought was right, and no one should be criticised for that
          Bob,

Sorry, but she was trying to use her son's death as providing some sort of higher level of moral authority status, all the while spewing venomous trash. There are plenty of reasons to criticize her, and the fact that she lost a son doesn't shield her from being responsible for her words and actions.
          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
            worthless whore?? is she???
            Yep.

almost entire world knows her name, her reasons to do what she did, and a lot can recognize her face. she has balls,
            Who cares? Almost the entire world knows what Paris Hilton looks like with a wang in her mouth - this makes her noteworthy how?

did you accomplish anything close to what she did?
            You mean embarrass myself, piss on the memory of my dead son, and generally prove to the entire planet that I'm a lying simpleton available to the highest bidder? No, I have to admit I've never accomplished anything remotely close to that, you got me there.

would you have balls to even start anything like that?? open faced in front of the whole world, not behind screen name on the net? . pick your wording wise next time.
            I thought about buying time on local networks so I could masturbate in public, sure - who hasn't? - but instead I have registered on an internet opinion forum, where I spend time reading and giving opinions. On the internet. And my screen name is my first name and last initial, and I'm in Columbia Heights, Minnesota, USA (USA! USA!). Not very stealthy of me, huh?

Fool.

-dale
            Last edited by dalem; 29 May 07,, 20:15.

Comment

Yep.

Who cares? Almost the entire world knows what Paris Hilton looks like with a wang in her mouth - this makes her noteworthy how?

You mean embarrass myself, piss on the memory of my dead son, and generally prove to the entire planet that I'm a lying simpleton available to the highest bidder? No, I have to admit I've never accomplished anything remotely close to that, you got me there.

I thought about buying time on local networks so I could masturbate in public, sure - who hasn't? - but instead I have registered on an internet opinion forum, where I spend time reading and giving opinions. On the internet. And my screen name is my first name and last initial, and I'm in Columbia Heights, Minnesota, USA (USA! USA!). Not very stealthy of me, huh?

Fool.

-dale
              i thought higher of you, not anymore, all it took you 1 stupid post. i say she still worth more than you.
              fool right back at you.
              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

I presume anyone is entitled to their opinion on her as she is entitled to her opinion about others.

None can assume that one is the sole arbiter of the truth and others are jackasses!

Those who lose their near and loved ones alone understand the pain and tend to also at times lose the facts in issue. However,those who claim to be Christians must remember Christian compassion teaches to be forgiving.

Time alone will tell if she is right or she is not.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

She has the right to voice her opposition to the war.

She does not have the right to make verbal attacks on the soldiers.

You guys should hear some of the stuff she said about our soldiers, our country, our history, and our leadership. Those words were beyond simple opposition. Those were vile and vicious attacks.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

If one has to believe everything that is being said, then one would be a bit naive.

It makes all sorts to make the world.

Ignoring a person is the biggest insult that one can offer, without saying a word!

I would take it that the shock has made her lose her balance!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Read between the lines her pay check went away,the left used her, she became embarassment,the left quits the pay day and she blows away like so much garbage.

Comment

I feel great pity for any parent who has to bury their child. It seems to me that she may have been more sinned against than been a sinner herself. What a pity all the wrong sort were advising her when she was in such a troubled state and she ended up being hated by many of her fellow countrymen and women for expressing her naive and altruistic views. I hope she finds peace.
                        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                          i thought higher of you, not anymore, all it took you 1 stupid post. i say she still worth more than you.
                          fool right back at you.
                          No problem. You asked me questions and I answered them - glad to know that's enough to push me onto your Ignore list. :)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            She has the right to voice her opposition to the war.

She does not have the right to make verbal attacks on the soldiers.

You guys should hear some of the stuff she said about our soldiers, our country, our history, and our leadership. Those words were beyond simple opposition. Those were vile and vicious attacks.
                            I always thought that in a democracy everyone is entitled to an opinion, however odious to some it may be.

“I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. ” - Voltaire
                            "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

No problem. You asked me questions and I answered them - glad to know that's enough to push me onto your Ignore list. :)

-dale
                              lol, i don,t even know what ignore list is, never had one.
                              i do just fine without it.

Comment

Working...
                              X