• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Chinese spy ships seized off Andamans

http://indiareacts.com/nati2.asp?recno=3060&ctg=Defence
    2 Chinese spy ships seized off Andamans

2 Chinese spy ships seized off Andamans

30 November 2004: Two Chinese ships have been seized in and around the Andamans last week.

More than forty Chinese sailors with suspicious identities were carrying navigation equipment on board the ships.

They were also conducting a survey of the magnetic resonance of the seabed in the vicinity of the islands on which India plans to station a part of its strategic forces.

So far, the arrested sailors have said they are fishermen, who mistakenly entered into Indian territorial waters.

Officials said that the ships came from either the East China Sea or the South China Sea, a distance of more than two-thousand miles, which makes it not a case of casual, mistaken intrusion.

When informed about the seizures, the Chinese embassy in New Delhi buttoned up, and its officials refused to meet the arrested sailors.

Since some Taiwanese nationals were identified among the arrested, the Taiwanese diplomats were summoned, who promptly reached the island, confirmed their citizens, and exposed some of the Chinese with fake travel documents who were posing as Taiwanese.

While the intelligence agencies are investigating the spying, the government is keen to play down the incident.

Magnetic resonance of the seabed sheds light on its condition, its capacity to accept submarines, and the kind of weapons that can be used in case of hostility.
    There are those who feel that the Chinese have no interest in the Indian Ocean and that their Navy is pathetic.

Obviously, they are not doing this just to burn fuel!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Originally posted by Ray
    that their Navy is pathetic.
    Well it is....
    "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Chineese surely are interested in indian ocean.
      1. For all the oil it gets from middle east and futurepurchases in africa mid east by chineese oil major will be shipped through sea and so the sea route is the key.
      2. This region handles one third of the global sea trade( i might be wrong with the one third for i donot remember the real figure) which makes it very important for china to have its say in the region.
      3. They need to know what indian navy is up to for india is not a reall goody with it .
      4. Chineese are in a full expansion mode and in 15-20 years time they will be world class navy .So its better to plan right and get the foundations correct.

chineese gotta understand taht in case they someday gotta attack india then how much will it take to put out the indian arabian sea base.

Comment

Sir,

It is an interesting and somewhat surprising development but I would not line up my sights just yet. Until the Chinese start sending ships, even for a one week tour per year, this is just tourist stuff.

Comment

Colonel,

You must link this with the Coco Island (Myanmar) Listening post and electronic Base the Chinese have constructed and using.

Though Myanmar is cosying up with India at times, their equation with the Chinese is also rather strong. This is because they want the Chinese to lay off the rebels up North.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sir,

Still the nagging question of assets. The Chinese simply do not have the sea legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
              Sir,

Still the nagging question of assets. The Chinese simply do not have the sea legs.
              Sir,
              I am 'navy deficient'. By "sea legs" do you mean blue water capability?

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

China can get its oil supply from the new pipeline being constructed in Pakistan would be connected with Gwadar.

Comment

did u mean a pipeline from CAS to pakistan.Then from gwadar its gotta pass through indian ocean=>mallaca straits before reaching China.
                  Or is there gonna be a pipeline between pak & china ??(without passing thru india) ??
                  Last edited by ajaybhutani; 04 Dec 04,, 14:32.

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
                    Sir,
                    I am 'navy deficient'. By "sea legs" do you mean blue water capability?
                    Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
                      China can get its oil supply from the new pipeline being constructed in Pakistan would be connected with Gwadar.
                      Yea, and from Gwadar it will have to be shipped to China, via the Straits of Malacca.
                      I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

You guys do know that Pakistan has borders with China?

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
                          You guys do know that Pakistan has borders with China?
                          Pipeline's across the mighty himalayas, no thank you sir.
                          I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

To keep the roads open over the mountains is difficult and folks talk about pipelines!

One landslide and so much lost. And landslides during rains and snow are a dime to a dozen!

Even telephone lines are a mess.

Why in the name of Dickens are the cost so high in fighting in the mountains.? One crore a day!

Get real.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

has the US "magnetically resonanced mapped" all, or a very large part of, the Pacific Ocean, particularly close to Mallucas and China?

Comment

Working...
                              X