A man we called "Chief"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A man we called "Chief"

I had to go to a funeral this morning for a next door neighbor of 35 years. While all of us guys in the neighborhood had fathers that were in the Army or Navy we kids spent alot of time being hooligans in the street doing the same as kids these days did except we were mindful of our elders and their property.
    Today a prominint voice from our past was laid to rest. A man that tought us guys something about life, respect and honor and doing what is right no matter the cost or punishment. This man was more or less a father in the street to all of us young hooligans although we never realized just how much until much later in life.

He was six years old when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941 and he already knew the course his life would take from there on out. He joined the Navy and served the Korean War aboard the USN carrier Franklin D. Roosevelt (CVB42). He achieved the rank of MCPO and served many years after until his retirement.

Well today the world lost another stand up man, friend, neighbor and a patriot beyond question. He leaves behind a family,military career, and a bunch of gratefull street hooligans which he took the time to keep in line when we were young. I just wanted to say Thank you Chief!

Farewell Master Chief Petty Officer Ronald J. Herrick 1935-2007 the world and time im from is sure going to miss the likes of you Sir! I couldnt post and not post a pic of the chariot in which carried you off to conflict and the one you cut your teeth on being a young swab. Rest in Peace Sir.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 23 May 07,, 20:21.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Dreadnaught reality has hit you hard. Your "Mentor" has gone and there is a mental void in your life. I hope the "hooligans" of yester-year all feel that here was someone who guided them onto the right path and adulthood. In reflection maybe they will also use his guidance in their future lives. "If I can help somebody as I walk along then my Mission shall not be in Vain" RIP MCPO

Comment

Good men are hard to find. I guess you thank your lucky stars that you knew him, R.I.P. Ronald J. Herrick.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

You are human after all. :) Everyone who has been lucky enough to find a mentor during a tough time in one's life knows how you feel. Mine passed many years ago, but I remember like it was yesterday the things he told me. Good mentors don't say much. Mainly their influence comes from their heart because they care about you. May the chief rest in peace.
        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

My sincere condolences Dreadnought
          Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

God Bless.

Present Arms.

Comment

Deadnought,

It is your good fortune that you had someone to look up to.

Remember him for the good that he did for the society.

It is heartbreaking, but the best salute you can give him is carrying his good work forward.

May his soul rest in Peace!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                May his soul rest in Peace!
                Sir,

I doubt that very much. I expect the PCO would be scaring Dreadnaught and his cohorts for the rest of their natural lives ... and smiling on them,

Comment

My condolences and my admiration to the man for being a good man and a leader in times of need.

Comment

The man we called "Chief"

I too knew this man for about twenty some years. We were all part of the Dunkin Donuts crowd. He was a regular at several different stores in the county. I wish I had known how sick he was since we lost contact for a while due to my illness. We would have visited him and had a chance to say "good bye". I had to say my good bye at his casket. We had some good laughs over the years. He's probably in heaven looking for the nearest coffee shop.
                    I don't think anyone knew his real name. He was just the "Chief".

God bless you Chief. At last you are no longer in pain.
                    Last edited by les215; 17 Jul 07,, 20:32. Reason: We will miss you.

Comment

salute

Comment

Says a lot about a guy when he is held in such high esteem, and when he is known for the good he did in his life leain by example s others will follow, I also feel that to be known as the Chief by others says more than words can

God bless you Sir RIP

Comment

I understand both your respect and loss, but having once been a Chief (QMC USCG ) myself, PLEASE don't EVER call a a Chief "Sir." He would have also told you the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X