Dentistry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dentistry

The dentist wants to cap my incisors because of wear. I don't know first thing about cosmetic dentistry. I don't know what kind materials they use, how durable it is, procedures, options, etc. Maybe I could get a pair of Dracula fangs?
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

All I know is that I had to get my actual incisors grinded down because I had a real life pair of dracula fangs, unfortunately it was the only way I could have straight teeth. I would assume they are made of some kind of durable porcelain polymer. I wouldn't worry about durability, as long as you don't chew rocks you should be good. ;)

Comment

if your teeth are getting bad it is a good idea to cap them, if they are still alive he will have to do root canal, file them down and put porcelane crowns, they have a mettal(gold, silver, other inert mettals)base and porcelane coating, some dentists, put a post in your dead tooth and put crown over it, it lasts longer this way. some dantists put crown on live teeth, i don,t like it, my father had it done, than 3 years later they started to hurt, and he had to remove the crown, kill the tooth,screw in a post, and do a new crown, now noone in my family will do caps on live tooth.
      but the question is are your incizers are so bad that it has to be done, or your dentist just wants to do some crown job, and charge you? there are planty of dentists like that, my father once went to a dentist, and the guy said half of the mouth needs to be pulled out and bridged, he went to anoither guy, other dentist just put 2 fillings, and 1 crown, and said there is nothig wrong with the rest of the teeth.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Well sarge,I have had more than a few teeth capped in my day. As far as durability goes,porcelain is tough but not infallible.I have broken a couple,once on creme brule'. That is a story for another thread like"What stupid things have you done on a cruise?"
        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I had a back molar capped without first having a root canal. I was in pain for 2 weeks, taking advil every 4 hours. They had to give me a shot of novacaine before they could even remove the cap to do the root canal. Definitely get the root canal first. And hope you don't have a dentist like Orin from Little Shop of Horrors!
          “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
          "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
            Well sarge,I have had more than a few teeth capped in my day. I have broken a couple,once on creme brule'.

Shamus a good tip is to take the dessert out of the freezer well before consumption, as this saves a massive Dental Bill. :) Creme Brule' Eh! they seem to make them tough in your part of the World. (they happen to be my favorite ) Thank God it was'nt something really tough like a Sponge Cake

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
              Shamus a good tip is to take the dessert out of the freezer well before consumption, as this saves a massive Dental Bill. :) Creme Brule' Eh! they seem to make them tough in your part of the World. (they happen to be my favorite ) Thank God it was'nt something really tough like a Sponge Cake
              Hah!You should see me tenderizing my oatmeal in the morning. (Gets a little messy )Are you really supposed to thaw them?
              "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Seems we all have our stories here so will add mine to it. I've never had a root canal - all caps - all 5 of them. None on incisors, but the teeth were bad enough that taking out the fillings and putting in more were not allowable. I have one gold and the other are porcelain. The gold one is far enough so it doesn't show unless I get a good guffaw on. The others are close enough to the front that I wanted white. Ages of caps are from the late 80's to the mid 90's. No problems and they were yes, put over existing live teeth. Best rule of thumb for a cap is this - how bad are the teeth are there fillings in them now? Do they scrape against the other teeth in your mouth causing excess wear and tear on those? Finally, this thread is useless without a picture.
                Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

My teeth that need caps have no fillings. They're probably just worn from me gritting my teeth to keep from strangling the fools I've had to deal with. I guess being in the front means porcelain unless I want to become a rapper. They're not sensitive, I'm taking this on a preemptive note before it gets bad. I just don't like going to the dentist.
                  Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                  (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Working...
                  X