Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leader of Taliban Killed

Taleban commander killed

The Taleban's top military commander in Afghanistan, Mullah Dadullah, has been killed in fighting in the south of the country, officials say.

They say he died in a clash with Afghan and Western forces in Helmand province.

Soldiers took the body to the city of Kandahar, where it was shown to reporters.

[...]

'Top commander'

Mullah Dadullah was a member of the Taleban's 10-man leadership council before the US-led invasion in 2001.

He has been called "Afghanistan's top Taleban commander" by Nato officials, and is high on the US list of most-wanted people in the country.

Mullah Dadullah lost one of his legs as a mujahideen fighter against the Soviet occupation troops in the 1980s and has since used an artificial limb.

He had the reputation of a fearless man.

Despite his disability, he fought and led major battles for the Taleban against the rival Northern Alliance forces during the 1990s.

He was one of the first Taleban commanders to organise attacks against US-led coalition forces after the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan.

And he was the first Taleban commander to give interviews to print and electronic media after the fall of the regime.

Unlike other Taleban leaders who never allowed themselves to be photographed for religious and security reasons, Mullah Dadullah did just the opposite.

He granted an interview to the Arabic television channel al-Jazeera.

Occasionally he called journalists, including those from the BBC in Afghanistan and Pakistan, on his satellite phone to provide information about Taleban attacks and issue new threats against foreign and Afghan forces.
    Source: BBC NEWS | South Asia | Afghan Taleban commander killed
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Man, the ISI is going to be sad.
    Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

wasn'T he reported dead at least two times before?

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
        Yes, and they are denying the report of his death once again

Comment

I saw this on Indian TV today.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
            This time they've produced the body.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Even though he was Taliban and I highly despised Taliban, the man deserves some respect for continuing to fight in the face of long odds and insurmountable obstacles. At least he got a warrior's death. Only God can answer whether he was worthy of respect or not. The Americans did their job: to send the Taliban warriors to meet their maker, the grandest of all judges, Allah Akbar.

Comment

It's interesting that less than a month after NWFP leaders condemn him for releasing a video of how he got some boys to behead prisoners, he is apparently given up
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

The unfortunate reality is that some other oddball takes the place and the vermin flock to him!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Dadullah was Pakistan boy. He was the chief architect of the Waziristan peace deal.

Isn't it ironic that a day after he dies, Pakistani troops venture into Afghan territory and exchange fire with the ANA?

---

Ding Ding Ding .. Another One Bites The Dust!
                    I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Srirangan View Post
                      Dadullah was Pakistan boy. He was the chief architect of the Waziristan peace deal.

Isn't it ironic that a day after he dies, Pakistani troops venture into Afghan territory and exchange fire with the ANA?
                      Venting a little spleen over the death of the golden boy methinks
                      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Glad to see he`s gone, but as has been said, at least he had the balls for a fight, unlike the other cave dweller,

Comment

Parihaka,
                          Caught the follow up of this incident when the American officers tried to make peace between Pakistan and Afghanistan?
                          I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

one is dead another one will take his place, as long as there is a reason for them to exsict they will, i bet someone in aq camp already took his place,
                            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

You'd win that bet.

OF COURSE he's going to be replaced, but he was their most able commander.

And now he's dead.

It's a Big Deal, guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X