PDA

View Full Version : is this World Affairs?

Lambert
01 Dec 04,, 04:34
I'm sorry if this is out of line and if I'm nagging. I have to admit I replied to a few myself but it seems to be getting a little out of hand...
The forum (in the pub) is heading to more of a teen chat get to know you thing rather than a world affairs thing.
Do you smoke?
Alcohol preference?
Favorite car?
Alexander? ect. Are these World Affairs topics?

Again I apologize if I have offended anyone :)

Leader
01 Dec 04,, 04:40
I'm sorry if this is out of line and if I'm nagging. I have to admit I replied to a few myself but it seems to be getting a little out of hand...
The forum (in the pub) is heading to more of a teen chat get to know you thing rather than a world affairs thing.
Do you smoke?
Alcohol preference?
Favorite car?
Alexander? ect. Are these World Affairs topics?

Again I apologize if I have offended anyone :)

What would you talk about in a place described as "A place for chit-chat, whatever's on your mind?" I’m not offended, but frankly if you don't like the topics you could just ignore them or better yet post some things that you would rather "chit-chat" about.

Confed999
01 Dec 04,, 04:48
We're all in the world, and those are parts of our affairs. ;) Plus, it's a way to learn a little about the others you're talking with.

Lambert
01 Dec 04,, 05:13
true, there just seems to be getting more off topic threads. I thought chit chat whatever on you mind was slightly restricted to World Affairs just not such a blunt category of posts. More of a personal what's going on at home in the view of world affairs.
It's just, when I was told of this site they were very strict on "there's other places to chit chat like that and this forum is of more mature stature."
but I see I was wrong and apologize again if I have been ignorant or rude. :)

Confed999
01 Dec 04,, 05:35
No need to be sorry, it was a valid question. ;)

Leader
01 Dec 04,, 06:38
I was told of this site they were very strict on "there's other places to chit chat like that and this forum is of more mature stature."

It's nice to hear WAB has a good reputation.

Horrido
01 Dec 04,, 06:56
is this World Affairs?

I was under the assumption it was a website providing a global dating service for swinging singles and wife swapping...

At any rate, the pub is for off-topic discussion. We have all sorts of people, here, of all sorts of ages, nationalities, and backgrounds. When you have an established community and a sudden influx of new members, people are going to be curious about each other, their backgrounds, and how their views are formed. As a result, such questions are bound to be asked. Besides, aren't smoking, drinking, cars, and movies typical discussion topics in pubs across the world? :cool: ;) :)

Leader
01 Dec 04,, 07:14
I was under the assumption it was a website providing a global dating service for swinging singles and wife swapping...

Given the guy-to-girl ratio on this site it would have to be gay singles.

lemontree
01 Dec 04,, 08:03
Given the guy-to-girl ratio on this site it would have to gay singles.

:biggrin: Thank heavens! Some of us are married. :biggrin:

Leader
01 Dec 04,, 08:06
:biggrin: Thank heavens! Some of us are married. :biggrin:

Lucky bastard. :biggrin:

Ray
01 Dec 04,, 08:27
Actually, I am rather hooked on WAB.

Yet. discussing world affairs that we can't solve does become a bit tedious and heavy.

Yet, without leaving the WAB board, one would lile to take a break . What could be better place than the Pub where we discuss which country we are from, what is our religion, what is our poison, who is off to Europe. etc etc.

Juvenile? So be it.

But you can't deny it gives a break to frayed nerves that gets so charged up with the 'active' discussions of divergent views. Ask Ironduke who had a hard tiome on the Asian pizzazz! It was very hot out there.

The best part (though some of the ones who have very divergent views from those of the Mods and Admins get banned; which is rather unfortunate since they also make the world and should be heard) is that the nuggets of info in all the firefights are real nuggets and worth the trouble to visit to WAB even in the wee hours in the morning.

It is these times when one is sleepy but cannot leave the discussion on be, that one wants to take a short break and then having been recharged get back to the firefight! ;)

I think WAB is doing a good job and catering for a variety of tastes.

If the Pub is lousy, one needn't visit it. What ho?

Too much of assumed high brow stuff is not good for the heart! ;) :)

In fact it is time the WAB gives a disclaimer that they are not to be held responsible for heart attacks or starting a new war! :) :eek: ;)

Ironduke
01 Dec 04,, 13:22
true, there just seems to be getting more off topic threads. I thought chit chat whatever on you mind was slightly restricted to World Affairs just not such a blunt category of posts. More of a personal what's going on at home in the view of world affairs.
It's just, when I was told of this site they were very strict on "there's other places to chit chat like that and this forum is of more mature stature."
That's exactly what the purpose of the pub is, for off-topic discussions that have nothing to do with world affairs. Otherwise people would be making such posts in other forums.

Julie
01 Dec 04,, 13:25
:biggrin: Thank heavens! Some of us are married. :biggrin: Yeah, and since we're soooo lucky being married, that's why I hang out here while my other half is forever watching football games or racing on television. I have to chat with somebody, and this is the very best place. :biggrin:

LOL, Ray.....I even look forward to each and everyday tolerating you ! :biggrin:

Ray
01 Dec 04,, 14:01
Yeah, and since we're soooo lucky being married, that's why I hang out here while my other half is forever watching football games or racing on television. I have to chat with somebody, and this is the very best place. :biggrin:

LOL, Ray.....I even look forward to each and everyday tolerating you ! :biggrin:
:)

Asim Aquil
01 Dec 04,, 15:28
this kinda seems like, one of those, posts I see on PDF whenever someone posts a pic of a hot chick...... "What's this got to do with defence?"

The simple answer is, the board is divided into different forums. And it all goes, into relevant forums. Just because it doesn't fit, the mainstream spectrum of posts, doesn't mean it shouldn't belong on the board.

Julie
01 Dec 04,, 15:36
The simple answer is, the board is divided into different forums. And it all goes, into relevant forums. Just because it doesn't fit, the mainstream spectrum of posts, doesn't mean it shouldn't belong on the board. Well said. What really intrigues me about this board is there is such a diversity of people here, from all over the world, that can talk about everything happening all over the world, with a very minimal fueling of hatred. Now, it seems to me if all of us here could do that, then the leaders of all countries should be able to. Hence, world peace is possible. :)

Ray
02 Dec 04,, 19:49
Peace is possible.

Our Leaders are IMPOSSIBLE! :)

Julie
02 Dec 04,, 19:59
Peace is possible.

Our Leaders are IMPOSSIBLE! :)Very true Ray.

Bill
03 Dec 04,, 06:21
JULIE SAID:

"Yeah, and since we're soooo lucky being married, that's why I hang out here while my other half is forever watching football games or racing on television. I have to chat with somebody, and this is the very best place."

You should try me on IM. ;)

Bill
03 Dec 04,, 06:23
"Hence, world peace is possible."

Julie, what in the hell would ya want that for?

mostlymad
03 Dec 04,, 16:37
Juvenile? So be it.

Alright! I'm ready!

Thanks for bringing up this topic, Lambert. There's a question I had but wasn't sure if WAB was the place to ask it. Now I know, so off I go.

BTW, Lambert, it's perfectly fine to joke around in the right place at the right time, despite what Mommy and Daddy say. I'm sure they do when your not looking. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Julie
03 Dec 04,, 17:48
JULIE SAID:

"Yeah, and since we're soooo lucky being married, that's why I hang out here while my other half is forever watching football games or racing on television. I have to chat with somebody, and this is the very best place."

You should try me on IM. ;)Even though we do have some common ground, me and you, I prefer not to go looking for the controversial issues, I will just confront them as they arise, thank you very much. :)

"Hence, world peace is possible."

Julie, what in the hell would ya want that for? That is SO like you to ask such a question, and it justifies what I said above.

Julie
03 Dec 04,, 17:56
I think we have all here fully answered, as well as demonstrated, the answer to Lambert's question. However, is juveniles only allowed in the Pub? :rolleyes: If so, I'm not allowed. :redface:

Bill
03 Dec 04,, 18:01
You have OBVIOUSLY not thought out the implications of the unattainable utopian vision of world peace.

Sounds great, but it looks like crap on paper miss.

You would probably also find that i'm a lot more agreeable on IM. ;)

LOL

mostlymad
03 Dec 04,, 18:09
However, is juveniles only allowed in the Pub? :rolleyes: If so, I'm not allowed. :redface:

we could always start another section for mods, where they can be just like us churlish masses, no rules. (but remember - mods won't be able to ban us, even if we engage in paybacks! :biggrin: )

Bill
03 Dec 04,, 18:14
The mods have their own forum...you just can't see it.

I know-i used to be one of 'them'. ;)

mostlymad
03 Dec 04,, 18:22
The mods have their own forum...you just can't see it.

I know-i used to be one of 'them'. ;)

decided the air up there was too thin? ;)

Yes, a forum of their own is all well and good for élitists, but for to really get the full experience, we should have one where all of us can read and post, and the mods join in and pretend they are just like us, and we get to treat them just like each other. You know, kind of like the remote prince playing peasant to keep in touch with his subjects? :)

Julie
03 Dec 04,, 18:24
we could always start another section for mods, where they can be just like us churlish masses, no rules. (but remember - mods won't be able to ban us, even if we engage in paybacks! :biggrin: )Sniper is right, Mod's do have their own "mystery" forum. However, what you just said about a no-rules forum reminded me of something. I was a moderator a year or so ago at a site that had such a thread. It was a "enter at your own risk" thread, that was unmoderated, and no one could be banned for posts within that thread. It was deep and often vulgar, so I didn't go in there much. It was very popular. :biggrin:

Bill
03 Dec 04,, 18:26
"decided the air up there was too thin?"

Something to that extent. No need to rehash WABs past dirty laundry miss. :)

Suffice it to say i took a subbatical to pursue my own projects, and i have now returned in a diminished capacity.

"...but for to really get the full experience, we should have one where all of us can read and post, and the mods join in and pretend they are just like us, and we get to treat them just like each other. You know, kind of like the remote prince playing peasant to keep in touch with his subjects? "

That is, and always was, my style of moderation. ;)

mostlymad
03 Dec 04,, 18:45
It was very popular. :biggrin:

really says a lot about people.

Despite the teasing on my part, thanks for the fine job you mods do.

Julie
03 Dec 04,, 22:43
You have OBVIOUSLY not thought out the implications of the unattainable utopian vision of world peace.

Sounds great, but it looks like crap on paper miss.

You would probably also find that i'm a lot more agreeable on IM. ;)

Peace will always remain unattainable as long as the ego of man continues a "kill and conquer" if I don't get my way standpoint. If women were at the helm, diplomacy could be successful in obtaining world peace, since women tend to have a more diplomatic nature. However I don't foresee a woman leader in every country, in our lifetime.

And again, thanks, but no thanks, on the IM.

Despite the teasing on my part, thanks for the fine job you mods do. I don't feel i've been mod long enough to deserve the compliment, but if you were including me, thank you. :)

Bill
04 Dec 04,, 04:44
"Peace will always remain unattainable as long as the ego of man continues a "kill and conquer" if I don't get my way standpoint. If women were at the helm, diplomacy could be successful in obtaining world peace, since women tend to have a more diplomatic nature. However I don't foresee a woman leader in every country, in our lifetime."

beyond the fact that women are the most catty backstabbing creatures known to man, you're missing the point entirely.

World peace. No more weapons, no more war, no more death.

Project that 10 years, than 50 years and tell me what you get.

As for the IM, as you see fit miss. Shame, i have every other mod of WAB on IM. I guess there's an exception to every rule.

Parihaka
04 Dec 04,, 05:42
If women were at the helm, diplomacy could be successful in obtaining world peace, since women tend to have a more diplomatic nature.
I haven't noticed anything particularly diplomatic about Margaret Thatcher, or our own p.m. Helen Clark :tongue:

Gio
04 Dec 04,, 06:26
Too true, in fact, they were and are quite b i t c h ie. If anything, diplomacy might get worse, at least once a month..

Horrido
04 Dec 04,, 08:51
If women were at the helm, diplomacy could be successful in obtaining world peace, since women tend to have a more diplomatic nature.

If a woman was at the helm, I would send in Snipe as the diplomat.

Gio
04 Dec 04,, 08:55
pfft, more women vote then men, there's more women in america then men yet women don't even trust themselves and vote for men?

LOL, opps, i'll shut up.

Srirangan
04 Dec 04,, 10:37
The forum (in the pub) is heading to more of a teen chat get ...
omfg .. u2'z nu album rockzzz .. eminem'z da mah foreva!!! lol!!!111 mah post owned!!!!11

Srirangan
04 Dec 04,, 10:37
Lol

Julie
04 Dec 04,, 14:06
I haven't noticed anything particularly diplomatic about Margaret Thatcher, or our own p.m. Helen Clark :tongue:

Too true, in fact, they were and are quite b i t c h ie. If anything, diplomacy might get worse, at least once a month :confused: I was under the impression you admired Margaret Thatcher? Did you mislead me?

pfft, more women vote then men, there's more women in america then men yet women don't even trust themselves and vote for men?Oh, that hurts... :frown:

If a woman was at the helm, I would send in Snipe as the diplomat. That wouldn't work because the first time Snipe didn't get his way, he would exterminate (kill) them. :biggrin:

As for the IM, as you see fit miss. Shame, i have every other mod of WAB on IM. I guess there's an exception to every rule. I feel an uneasiness about you that I'd rather not connect with on a more personal level. Sorry.

Julie
04 Dec 04,, 15:05
beyond the fact that women are the most catty backstabbing creatures known to man, you're missing the point entirely.

World peace. No more weapons, no more war, no more death.

Project that 10 years, than 50 years and tell me what you get.

As for the IM, as you see fit miss. Shame, i have every other mod of WAB on IM. I guess there's an exception to every rule.

Well SnipEy, you're about to see if you are right about that since Condi Rice is now the face and spokesperson for the United States. Projections?? In 200 years, a black woman has emerged from slavery and oppression and is now in a position to represent diplomacy for our country in an international capacity. That is not a bad time-frame from start to finish for an accomplishment of a woman. However, I reserve the right for future comments, since her results are remained to be seen.

Confed999
04 Dec 04,, 16:48
In 200 years, a black woman has emerged from slavery and oppression and is now in a position to represent diplomacy for our country in an international capacity. That is not a bad time-frame from start to finish for an accomplishment of a woman.
In just over 50 years Dr. Rice has progressed from a poor segrigated black woman, to an invaluable part of 3 presidential administrations. She is a woman that understands the American ideal of freedom, and she isn't afraid to point out those who oppose it. Also, IMHO she's quite attractive. Keep a cowgirl in the White House, Condi for Prez!!! :tongue:

Ray
04 Dec 04,, 18:17
Nuts a Black is a Black.

She can never be the President.

Cowgirl or a female one, it makes no diff.

The Indian, who converted to be a Christian, Bobby Jinadal, and was more Bible thumping a man than Bush could ever be, couldn't be a Governor; so whatever makes one feel a black will be President!

Sure i would love to see such liberal things happening, but I am a pragmatist.

It too a long time for Blacks to be accepted in society. Let's just wait. Sure things will change, but not so fast!

If Condi Rice is attractive, Confed, then Sniper is the cutest thing this side of the Atlantic! :)

Julie
04 Dec 04,, 18:27
Nuts a Black is a Black. She can never be the President.. As bad as I hate to admit it, the time will arrive when that will be very possible Ray, so I suggest you get over it. :biggrin:

If Condi Rice is attractive, Confed, then Sniper is the cutest thing this side of the Atlantic! :)Don't say such things, his ego is already as big as a house. :biggrin:

Gio
04 Dec 04,, 19:51
Julie, I do admire Mrs Thatcher, she made old labour and the trade unions fall their knees. I liked her bi th chiness, just depends on the idelogy of the woman. :P

And I concur, Condi for President!!!!

Ray
04 Dec 04,, 20:00
You guys will never vote for a black or a chocolate coloured.

Second generation India. All conservative values he thumped more than Bush. Converted to Christianity. Changed his name. to be more American. Decried his origin and pronounced hoiw American he is, and yet he missed being the Givernor of his State to a person who was white and was not so liked as per the post election poll!

Stop being political correct.

You never did for Bobby Jindal and you wont.

Bill
04 Dec 04,, 20:06
"I feel an uneasiness about you that I'd rather not connect with on a more personal level. Sorry."

I get a lot of that from women... ;)

Julie
04 Dec 04,, 20:55
"I feel an uneasiness about you that I'd rather not connect with on a more personal level. Sorry."

I get a lot of that from women... ;)I do not doubt that.

Bill
04 Dec 04,, 20:58
"I do not doubt that."

Not everyone is prepared to have me gazing into their soul...hehehehe. ;)

Julie
04 Dec 04,, 21:17
"I do not doubt that."

Not everyone is prepared to have me gazing into their soul...hehehehe. ;)Funny you should mention that, because it is me that does not want to gaze into yours. :rolleyes:

Julie
04 Dec 04,, 21:30
Julie, I do admire Mrs Thatcher, she made old labour and the trade unions fall their knees. I liked her bi th chiness, just depends on the idelogy of the woman. :P

And I concur, Condi for President!!!!Maybe I was a little over-bearing in my post. I think entertaining the possibility of a woman President in the United States is in the near future. I also feel women would take a different perspective in how they deal with situations, especially foreign relations. Whether it be for the better or not, who knows.

Confed999
04 Dec 04,, 21:45
If Condi Rice is attractive
I think she is somewhat physically attractive, but intelligent, opinionated and decisive count for alot to me. I would vote for a black or a woman or a black woman, if I agree with more of their policy than an alternative.

Bill
04 Dec 04,, 23:05
"Funny you should mention that, because it is me that does not want to gaze into yours."

Afriad of what i'll see miss?

Gio
04 Dec 04,, 23:54
The Indian, who converted to be a Christian, Bobby Jinadal, and was more Bible thumping a man than Bush could ever be, couldn't be a Governor; so whatever makes one feel a black will be President!

You do realize that in that case he lost the black vote, and got half white vote, right?
You don't even get it, Ray. :rolleyes: Oh yeah, it was white racism that got Mr. Jindal. That's why Mr. Jindal got nearly 80% of the vote for Louisiana's 1st house district, a majority white district.. :confused:

Ray, with all due respect, I think you have a lot of research to do on American politics and political culture. :)

Julie
05 Dec 04,, 00:16
"Funny you should mention that, because it is me that does not want to gaze into yours."

Afriad of what i'll see miss?I just do not care to be in the hair of your sights.

Bill
05 Dec 04,, 01:31
A wise choice.

"One shot, one kill."

Julie
05 Dec 04,, 11:59
I wise chice.

"One shot, one kill."So tell me something I don't know.

Ray
05 Dec 04,, 14:23
Gio,

Indeed, I have a long way to go before I understand US politics, the culture and what makes the US tick. There is no doubt about it.

That is why I am here.

In the short span I have been here I have a very interesting exposure to not only the US but also Canada. But it is still a long way to go.

While the Americans I have met in India are not so jingoistic and mostly very balanced in their views, but on WAB, what is most striking is that there is a lot of jinogism and that US can do no wrong. Something like Deutschland uber alles. That surprises.

Also interesting is the feeling that everyone is against the US. That is not true. There is a lot of goodwill for the US around the world. But like you all are tired of being on the wrong end of the stick, so are the other countries too that we are laggards and don't support the US.

When we support the US, you don't register (like Afghanistan, etc). When we don't support the US, you fret and fume and make everyone feel creepy and small.

Now, why do I not have the non white vote. It is because of saying what I feel and it need not be music to the ear. Also, I am not standing for elections! :biggrin:

Added Later:

My view that a black or a brown cannot yet be the President or Governor is not that it is because of racism. Racism has a very negative connotation and I don't think there is much racism in the US now. I would say it is because of psychological deficit and not racism. The fact that Bobby Jindal could be the candidate for Governor is in itself a pointer to the fact that racism is not conspicuous. And I think he was standing for Governorship from a Southern State!

Likewise, I also so not subscribe to the view that just because someone is coloured, that someone must get a preferential treatment. All must stand on their feet and on their merits.

The Chap
12 Dec 04,, 06:25
A wise choice.

"One shot, one kill."
Jesus. You Yanks. Can't drink for toffee! One shot indeed :tongue: