• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Moscow Tests New Missile System

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...i_missile_test

Report: Moscow Tests New Missile System

Mon Nov 29, 6:31 AM ET Europe - AP

MOSCOW - Russia has successfully tested a modernized anti-ballistic missile system, Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov told President Vladimir Putin (news - web sites) on Monday, according to the Interfax news agency.

Ivanov told Putin that his ministry would "further perfect and modernize the anti-ballistic missile system," the news agency reported.

He said the anti-ballistic missile had passed its test on Monday morning at the Sary-Shagaz testing range in the former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan.

Ivanov said earlier that Russia would test-fire a mobile version of the new Topol-M missile before the year's end and would commission it next year.

Topol-Ms have a range of about 6,000 miles and reportedly can maneuver in ways that are difficult to detect. The missile, which can intercept and destroy other missiles, has been deployed in silos since 1998.

Russia reacted calmly when Washington withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty in 2002 in order to develop a nationwide missile shield. But Moscow has since complained about Washington's plans to build new low-yield nuclear weapons.

Last month, Putin said Russia was developing a new nuclear missile system unlike any weapon held by other nuclear powers. In the past year, Russian defense officials have also made several announcements about new weapons.
    Ask your ISP to add the following newsgroups:

alt.war.world-war-one
    alt.war.world-war-two
    alt.war.world-war-three
    alt.war.napoleonic
    alt.war.war-of-1812
    alt.war.terrorism
    alt.war.biological
    alt.war.chemical
    alt.war.misc

apart from Topol's, didn't s-500 (maybe 450 [sry its late]) have capability to intercept ICBM's?

Comment

Their people starve, their economy fails, but they have enough Nukes to whipe out the Northern Hemisphere. Sounds like a great plan. :)
      "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

God what a muck up, the Topol-M is a intercontinental ballistic missile, not a ABM.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/icbm/rt-2pmu.htm

The ABM system uses currently the SH-11 Galosh and SH-08 Gazelle missiles.

http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/program/soviet/abm3.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici
          Their people starve, their economy fails, but they have enough Nukes to whipe out the Northern Hemisphere. Sounds like a great plan. :)
          what a load.

and there arent starving children in the USA?

Comment

Originally posted by SovietHonor
            ...and there arent starving children in the USA?
            Actually, no there aren't, unless they are victims of abuse. There are plenty of avenues for people to get food, even without government involvement. For example, there are two private food banks within 2 miles of where I live. Anyone can walk in and get food, no questions asked. Then you have welfare, food stamps, etc- available to anyone, based on income.

Show me any news articles about starving children in the US.
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i...18&s=lieberman

your post is a lie. There are starving people in America. Plenty of them
              American starvation is downplayed.

Comment

The only starving people in america are the abused and the dumb ones that dont go to shelters

Comment

Originally posted by SovietHonor
                  http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i...18&s=lieberman

your post is a lie. There are starving people in America. Plenty of them
                  American starvation is downplayed.
                  My followup questions to the article is what items this family has that it doesn't need?

My experience in delivering Christmas food baskets to the "poor" during grade school opened my eyes to the fact that every story has two sides. I grew up upper middle class; however, with seven kids and a stingy dad, we had what we needed and not what we wanted. When delivering a food basket to a family living in government funded, low income housing, I saw that this family had a VCR (this is when Beta was still very much alive and VHS machines popped open at the top), cable, and HBO (back when it was the only premium channel). That was a waste of taxpayers' money and the donors' food IMO. This family couldn't prioritize purchases to what they needed, and bought what they wanted while relying on others to provide what they needed.

It sounds like this lady in the story has a sad story, but the article never reveals what her health problems stem from. Are they the result of an industrial accident where she had no control, or do they stem from smoking (an unhealthy waste of a budget - I am not trying to make this an anti-smoking thread, but if a person gets sick from smoking, I don't buy the evil cigarette company story as being 100% responsible)? Are the injuries the result of being obese and not taking care of herself?

Too many questions left unanswered to know whether the story is a bunch of spin to induce the desired reaction or a truly sad story.

In the end, there is hunger on a case by case basis. However, there aren't many stories IMO where a person/family has tried everything in their power to prevent the malnutrition from occuring.
                  "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

This family is not starving:

"While the most severe forms of malnutrition and starvation that prevailed through the 1960s have largely disappeared, some 33 million people live in households that aren't sure where their next meals are coming from--those whom policy analysts call the food insecure. "
                    sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici
                      Put yourself in a shoes of a Russian leader. And then answer some questions:

Why then US wants NATO to be so close to Russia? Hasn't the cold war ended with peice? What is the point of having US troops so close to Russian borders. Does US really need this to protect themselves after Russian openly diverted from millitary confrantation? Or maybe they want to prepare a launch sites for agression? What will stop them?

You will never know how pieceful or cunning is your opponent, especiall US which dropms any earlier promise or treaty any time when it feels not confortable with them. So you need little bit of security and ability to destroy the globe serves this goal. Until Russia has this ability not even only novelists will be writting stories of US/NATO directly engaging Russia.... just like one did ask you stupid questions recently in one thread here.....

Roman proverb: A nation which does not want to feed its own army will feed army of somebody else

Comment

Working...
                      X