Yet another Mary Jane thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Mary Jane thread

Hey since 4/20 was just last week and I personally had some "involvement" with authorities on that day of celebration I have been giving a Lot of thought to the legalization of MJ and such.

Let me ask a similar question that has been asked before: Should the United States legalize Marijuana? Now others have asked about medically making it available. I am saying should we straight up allow it like tobacco is allowed?

I personally think that of the three classic "vices" (smoking tobacco, drinking and smoking weed) that burning a few bowls is the least detrimental to society as well as individuals. My friend recently did a research paper on the long term effects of smoking MJ, thinking that it would make him want to quit. It actually made him feel better about it. Think about it, when people get really stoned, they just pass out or have fun hanging out with friends. However when people get drunk, they punch out windows, walls and other people. While not everyone gets violent when extremely drunk, it happens. I have yet to see/hear of someone take a bong rip and then go beat the hell outa someone. Smoking tobacco is also terrible for your lungs.

I say the United States needs to legalize the substance. it will take moments for companies to start making joints instead of cigs. The government could even tax it a bit for all I care. The transfer would be quite smooth.

I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker...
    Yes
    65.31%
    No
    34.69%
    MT . . .

my personal observation, headaches go away after a joint, it works better than advil, tylenol.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Militarythinker View Post
      Smoking tobacco is also terrible for your lungs.
      And pot isn't?
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Much as I tried - could never feel good nor get high. Pot was totally wasted on me.
        Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          And pot isn't?
          Marijuana smoke contains just as much if not more carcinogens than tobacco smoke. Not to mention the whole gateway drug issue.

Comment

Pot isn't dangerous enough to warrant limitation, in my most humble opinion
            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

I don't want marijuana legalized but I accept that it probably will happen, because of the whole pursuit of happiness part of the constitution. Marijuana is basically tobacco and alcohol in one to me.

Comment

Is Peter Parker marrying Mary Jane in this movie?
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Pot should be legalized. I cannot begin to imagine how much the taxpayers would save from the legalization. The cotton industry is who lobbied against hemp. Even today, it's unlawful to grow non-THC hemp.

Comment

Legalize it and tax it.

Let the cops concentrate on dangerous criminals. I've never seen a pot head start a fight. I've seen plenty of mean drunks hurt themselves and others. On a scale of what is more dangerous, I'd put legal booze over illegal pot any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                      Much as I tried - could never feel good nor get high. Pot was totally wasted on me.
                      I was worried enough about poppy seed anythings much less pot. Never knew when you'd get snagged for a urinalysis.
                      “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                      "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601 View Post
                        Marijuana smoke contains just as much if not more carcinogens than tobacco smoke. Not to mention the whole gateway drug issue.
                        While it'd be nice to have a link to back up that statement, even if pot does in fact have more of the unkindlies than tobacco, one would think that the bad effects would be tempered by the fact that pot needs only to be smoked in one single hit. Cigarette smokers may chug 20 or more sticks in a day.

Aside from that, has there ever, anywhere, been a case of lung cancer, emphysema, or bronchitis that was attributed to marijuana use?

Comment

The plant grows naturally. The creator has a lot to answer for!:)
                          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I was a cannabis smoker some time ago. Started because I was told it was cool, continued using it for more spiritual reasons.

What I can tell is that cannabis, if not abused (alcohol is equally evil if abused) is rather harmless and gives the environment a lot less danger than alcohol. A stoned person does not think that he is awfully hot, popular or interesting, and most important, he does not think that he's a good fighter. Stoned people do -not- behave aggressively (unless in a combination with other drugs). Of course, you should never attempt to operate a vehicle, firearm or other mechanical contraptions.

The negative effects are: laziness and memory loss. If abused, pot can bring some sort of mental addiction, when you do not want to do anything except hanging in a couch and smoking weed. Because of your memory getting fuzzy, school grades might drop, and the laziness will tell you to stop going to school. I've seen several people end up like that. It gave me a disgust of cannabis and I stopped using it now.
                            I have nothing against my friends who do use it, and I respect their choise. Use and abuse are different things. But I will never touch cannabis again (mushrooms are a different story! :D)

Nevertheless, I think it should be legalized. I know a lot of people who use it responsibly, and I've gained some insights by using it. And this gateway drug issue is nothing but misinterpreted statistics.
                            Same story as "since our army has started using helmets, we've got more wounded".
                            And many an ancient civilisation used it.
                            Last edited by entropy; 24 Apr 07,, 20:46. Reason: edited out horrible sentence constructions

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                              The negative effects are: laziness and memory loss. If abused, pot can bring some sort of mental addiction, when you do not want to do anything except hanging in a couch and smoking weed. Because of your memory getting fuzzy, school grades might drop, and the laziness will tell you to stop going to school.
                              Yeah, but it's "harmless"!
                              And it's not as bad as cigarettes! Or whatever.

But I will never touch cannabis again (mushrooms are a different story! :D)
                              If it's so harmless, then why give it up?

And this gateway drug issue is nothing but misinterpreted statistics.
                              Disagree. I can't count the number of celebs and people that I know personally that ended up crack-heads or smack-heads. They usually say the same thing: "I started out smoking weed..."

It's not that smoking weed automatically means you're going to graduate to harder drugs.

But it can put you into that scene and hey, pot is no big deal, so why not try something that'll really make you feel good?

(And before somebody says it, I'll repeat: It's not that smoking weed automatically means you're going to graduate to harder drugs and yes, I know, you smoked weed 24/7 and never once had the urge to do harder drugs. Fine. I'm not talking about you.)

Pot should be decriminalized, inasmuch as jail time should be eliminated from sentences and replaced with community service. Dealers should be give the jail times instead.

Stoned people do -not- behave aggressively (unless in a combination with other drugs).
                              No argument there. People stoned to the bejeezus belt on pot aren't a threat, unlike a drunk.

Look, it's not that I think that pot smokers are horrible people and that pot itself is a product of the devil or some other extreme attitude. Each to his own.

Just don't go around thinking that you "drive better after a little weed" because that's a bigger crock of shyt than "I drive better with at few drinks in me".

I simply don't subscribe to the notion that pot is this joy-to-the-world wonderful thing like most proponents would have you believe.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X