Israel in talks with USA over F-22 orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel in talks with USA over F-22 orders

Israel has approached the USA about acquiring Lockheed Martin F-22s as concern mounts about new threats to the country’s regional air superiority.

Sources say that the issue was raised during a one-day trip by US defence secretary Robert Gates to Israel last week.

Washington has so far not authorised the export of the Raptor stealth fighter, but sources in Israel say this is the first time a “reasonable” request has been made.

Among the subjects discussed with the country’s prime minister and defence minister were Israel’s concerns about the USA’s possible sale of advanced weaponry to Saudi Arabia and the Israeli intelligence assessment of the Iranian nuclear programme.

URI
    Attached Files
    Wild Wild Web sigpic

I really wonder about this one, the US support Israel alot however I don't see the US selling F-22's to anyone save perhaps the RAF or RCAF neither of which will be funded to buy them in the next 15 years. I'm sure there are certain factions within the US who would love to see them in Isreal but between the uproar from the Arabs of the selling and the uproar in congress over funding a country with aid and discounting fighters sold to that country. Also the USAF would be unhappy over loosing airsuperiority.

(yes lochmart is "independant" of the US gov but I'd like to see that end user license approved.)

Comment

I love Israel but they do not need the F-22 right now. It would only push the Irainians and thus the rest of the gulf states who are already in an arms race. The F-22's super cruise would let the IAF hit any target in Iran at will with thye F-22's ground attack ability.

Comment

The F-22?

israel sold china - Google Search

Probably not. It's also extremely expensive for a nation with a per-capita GDP a little over half that of the US.
        HD Ready?

Comment

I think this is a bad idea for a number of reasons...it'll likely incite anger in the Middle East, Israel doesnt need something this dominant, they probably cant afford it, they have a habit of working with the Chinese, etc.

The only good thing about it that I can see is that it'd keep the line open longer.

Comment

I dont necessarily see why israel needs them. Their needs can be satisfied by oither aircraft which are more versatile such as the F 16 B.60,JSF, and maybe the F117 nighthawk. Right now the F 22's A2G capabiliites are quite limited. Blk 20 is supposed to add features such as SAR this year but im not usre about the current status of the Blk 20.Israel leaked Patriot tech to China and Ii'd hate to see that with the F 22.

Comment

i really dont want to see this happen, but I can believe the US would go through with it, and unfortunately Jimmy, Israel doesn't have a concept of afford ability, since the US is floating the Israeli military and economy.
              ROAD WARRIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Regardless of the ethics of sales it's very hard to see the Israeli's affording them.
                Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

If Israel gets the F 22, then it would be less dependent on the nuclear aspect of its defence since it will give it more confidence to face the Arabs in all combat situations. The nuclear aspect is worrisome to all including Israel's well wishers because if cornered Israel will use it. It must be remembered that Israel does not flinch or care about what others may feel.

It will also make the Arabs including the Hezbollah have second thoughts before embarking on any military or quasi military adventure.

Just my thoughts.
                  Last edited by Ray; 22 Apr 07,, 19:58.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                    The F-22's super cruise would let the IAF hit any target in Iran at will
                    ... no it wouldn't. unless they want to crash the F-22s into Iran after the hits. Ferry range 3,200 km, with external fuel tanks (byebye low RCS) and zero A2G/A2A ordnance (oops, we forgot to pack something), is just about a direct-path return trip from Jerusalem to Teheran.

@Ray: I don't think it matters much to Hisb'allah if it's a F16 or a F22 dropping bombs on Beirut...

Comment

Can't possibly see anything but bad coming from this deal. Israel will outfit their F-22s to be offensive no matter what we say, and giving Israel an offensive weapon of that caliber is going to hamper our diplomatic efforts.
                      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

F-35 maybe

or why not tell them to buy more Euro fighters from the UK

Isreal buys 50 eurofighters we can cut back on the amount we need and tell the US to sell us some F-22 instead

also we want tech transfer on them like the f-35
                        Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Comment

This isnt my view per say but...

If Russia is going to continue supporting Iran. And Iran is going to continue to make threats. Then why shouldnt we arm them with the F22's. We would only be insuring their survival as Russia is insuring Irans nuclear survival. Tit for Tat perhaps?;)
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

If Russia is going to continue supporting Iran. And Iran is going to continue to make threats. Then why shouldnt we arm them with the F22's. We would only be insuring their survival as Russia is insuring Irans nuclear survival. Tit for Tat perhaps?;)
                            Because its overkill, and they cant be trusted. When we get our own Raptor fleet up and running, push some of the replaced F-15Cs down to the ANG and Reserves, and sell Israel the F-15As we still use. Its at least a match for anything Iran is flying.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

why would you need F-22s against early mig29s?

Comment

Working...
                              X