New Wolfowitz Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wolfowitz Scandal

A scandal has emerged at the World Bank, where Wolfowitz gave unapproved wage increases and promotions to his girlfriend:
    Wolfowitz 'to stay' at World Bank.

The embattled World Bank President, Paul Wolfowitz, has indicated he does not plan to resign over a pay scandal.

Mr Wolfowitz told a news conference: "This is important work and I intend to continue it."

He has been under pressure to quit after admitting helping his partner win a promotion and pay rise.

He spoke after World Bank governments described the scandal as a matter of "great concern" but stopped short of asking him to step down.

The statement from the bank's 24-member policymaking Development Committee came after talks in Washington that were overshadowed by the controversy.

"The current situation is of great concern to all of us," the committee said.

"We have to ensure that the bank can effectively carry out its mandate and maintain its credibility and reputation as well as the motivation of the staff," the statement said.

The final decision on Mr Wolfowitz's future will be taken by the bank's board of governors.

The committee's statement said it supported the board's actions in looking into the matter and had asked it to continue its work.

Mission

At a news conference held shortly afterwards, Mr Wolfowitz was asked several times if he intended to resign.

"Look, I believe in the mission of this organisation, and I believe that I can carry it out. I've had many expressions of support," he said.

But he refused to be drawn further, saying that he would wait for the board to complete its work.

"I'm not going to pre-empt what they're doing by getting into discussion of it here."

Pay rise

The row concerns events that occurred shortly after Mr Wolfowitz assumed his position at the World Bank. His girlfriend, Libyan-born Shaha Riza, was seconded from the World Bank to the US state department to avoid creating a conflict of interest.

There she received promotions and pay rises which the bank's staff association say were "grossly out of line" with bank rules.

The World Bank's executive board has said that it did not give its approval for Ms Riza's wage rise.

On Thursday, Mr Wolfowitz issued a statement apologising for the controversy. "I made a mistake, for which I am sorry," he said.

In recent days, although the US has continued to support Mr Wolfowitz, other nations have questioned his position, arguing that the controversy has damaged the bank.

World Bank staff have also called for his resignation.

A former deputy secretary of defence under George W Bush, Mr Wolfowitz was seen as a controversial nominee to the role from the beginning due to his part in driving forward the war in Iraq.
    Source: BBC NEWS | Americas | Wolfowitz 'to stay' at World Bank
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

I am not surprised.

Corruption and nepotism is not confined to any part of the world. It is an universal phenomenon.

But what I find most interesting is the fact that Wolfowitz is supposed to be a neo con. How on earth is he cavorting with a Libya born?

The bloke has been subverted! :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      ...But what I find most interesting is the fact that Wolfowitz is supposed to be a neo con. How on earth is he cavorting with a Libya born?

Some years ago here in Denmark, the chief ideologue of the Danish nazi party was discovered to be having an affair with a Palestinian woman.
      Love conquers all!!!
      When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Wonders never cease! :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

ray,

perhaps it is his personal attempt at, ah, democratization and americanization?
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Amled View Post
            Some years ago here in Denmark, the chief ideologue of the Danish nazi party was discovered to be having an affair with a Palestinian woman.
            Was she hot?

Comment

A few reverse question to ask would be......

Robert Kennedy being qualified for Attorney-General?

Monica Lewinsky and her job at the Pentagon?

How about arranging for Joe Wilson to go to Africa?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                Sir,
                You know how women are. Wolfowitz's girlfriend must have driven him mad, or worst she must have imposed an "off limits" embargo on him. Poor chap what else could he have done?

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

LT,

No, I find it difficult to agree.

When you are in a high position, you have to be real careful.

Note the difference between Wolfo and Blunkett.

Blunkett resigned.

British after all, as some would say. Resigned since he realised that it was unbecoming of a person of responsibility to behave so!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by CMartel View Post
                    Was she hot?
                    Hot enough to cook his goose!
                    He was expelled from the Nazi party!
                    You really must have done something odious, not to be accepted as a peer in that group! ;)
                    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Working...
                    X