Military / War Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military / War Quotes

Put down any military quotes you've heard and liked...

"The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards."

--Sir William Francis Butler
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Churchill meaning GHQ in Egypt (mis)using a biblical reference as well, "The Gabardine swine!"
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

"Hell boys, at this range they couldn't hit an eleph ugh!"
        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

"Well, this plan is f-cked."

Comment

"You're safe with me Sergeant, I've seen every movie John Wayne ever made".

-Originally attributed to WO Vaughn shortly after crashing his helicopter in enemy territory.
            Last edited by sappersgt; 15 Apr 07,, 03:15.
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

"John Wayne is a f_cking puss!e!'

Sappersgt

Comment

"He who sees the other first already has half the victory."

Erich Hartmann
                "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

nuts.

I have included some very poignant points form the American Civil War as I think if we followe dthier advice we would ahve peac ein Iraq in short order.

I have never advocated war except as a means of peace.
                  Ulysses S. Grant

No other terms than unconditional and immediate surrender. I propose to move immediately upon your works.
                  Ulysses S. Grant

Every attempt to make war easy and safe will result in humiliation and disaster.
                  William Tecumseh Sherman

I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy.
                  William Tecumseh Sherman

My aim then was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us.
                  William Tecumseh Sherman

This war differs from other wars, in this particular. We are not fighting armies but a hostile people, and must make old and young, rich and poor, feel the hard hand of war.
                  William Tecumseh Sherman

War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.
                  William Tecumseh Sherman

Comment

The trick is not to die for your country, but make the poor SOB on the other side die for his.
                    Fist time I came across this one
                    it was attributed to a NCO
                    addressing his troops in
                    front of the Walls of Troy!
                    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

I didn't know the Greeks had NCOs...
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I got plenty of good quotes I like to share, too many are not military quotes:

"Fear not the name of the style nor color of the belt, But rather the man who has trained tirelessly to achieve it."

Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so - Unknown

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience. Patience means restraining one's inclinations. There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, love, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient. I am not as strong as I might be, but I have long known and practiced patience. And if my descendants wish to be as I am, they must study patience" - Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu

"Youth ages, immaturity can be outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered…but stupid lasts forever."

"“Seeking perfection” is developing ourselves into what we should have been from the beginning."

"Never mind what others do; do better than yourself, beat your own record from day to day, and you are a success."

"From the days of Sparticus, Weishophf, Karl Marx, Trotski, Belacoon, Rosa Luxenburg, and Ema Goldman, this world conspiracy has been steadily growing. This conspiracy played a definite recognizable role in the tragedy of the French revolution. It has been the mainspring of every subversive movement during the 19th Century. And now at last this band of extraordinary personalities from the underworld of the great cities of Europe and America have gripped the Russian people by the hair of their head and have become the undisputed masters of that enormous empire" - Sir Winston Churchill

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."

"A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity is down for good."

"Always hold your head up, but be careful to keep your nose at a friendly level."

"The world empire must be one, with one faith, and one sovereignty. To establish this unity, there is no other place more fitting than Constantinople."
                        Mehmed the Second

"No one can doubt that he is emperor of the Romans. He who holds the seat of empire in his hand is emperor of right; and Constantinople is the centre of the Roman Empire." Greeks historian George Trapezuntis

I am God’s slave and sultan of this world. By grace of God I am head of Muhammad’s community. God’s might and Muhammad’s miracles are my companions. I am Süleymân, in whose name the hutbe is read in Mecca and Medina. In Baghdad, I am the shah, in Byzantine realms the Caesar, and in Egypt the sultan; who sends his fleets to the seas of Europe, the Maghrib and India. I am the sultan who took the crown and throne of Hungary and granted them to a humble slave. The voivoda Petru raised his head in revolt, but my horse’s hoofs ground him into the dust, and I conquered the land of Moldavia." Suleiman

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that."

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity" General George S. Patton, Jr.

"My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition." Ghandi

"The tighter you hold on to life the more it slips away from you."

"Don't fear the brave man, fear the coward who will fight merely to deny his fear."

"When I was a child I prayed and prayed to the lord for a bicycle, but then I found out that god doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked for forgivness."

"Heaven is defined as having American salary, a chinese cook, an English house and a Japanese wife."

"Hell is defined as having a chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese house and an American wife."

"Aikido is the most polite of martial arts. Should a man come at you, it is obvious that he wishes to stand where you are. A polite man will not impede him. A truly polite man will aid him in his journey."

"Strengh is not never falling down, it is getting up again and again and again after you do fall."

"Don't fear someone who knows a thousand kicks rather fear someone who only knows a few but has done it a thousand times."

"Do not get into a battle of wits with a fool - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

"At war's end we were physically the strongest nation on Earth and, at least potentially, the most powerful intellectually and morally. Ours could have been the honor of being a beacon in the desert of destruction, a shining living proof that civilization was not yet ready to destroy itself. Unfortunately, we have failed miserably and tragically to arise to the opportunity. On the contrary, We find ourselves in a position of impotency."

"The reality is that the only alternative to the communist world empire is an American empire, which will be, if not literally worldwide in formal boundaries, capable of exercising decisive world control."

"The arms of Genghis Khan and his descendants shook the globe from China to Poland and Greece: the sultans were overthrown, the caliphs fell and the Caesars trembled on their thrones. Decades later, the victory of Timur Lang over Sultan Bâyezîd of the Turks suspended above fifty years the final ruin of the Roman Empire." The history of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon

NAPOLEON QUOTES:

Even when I am gone, I shall remain in people's minds the star of their rights, my name will be the war cry of their efforts, the motto of their hopes.

A society without religion is like a vessel without compass

From the heights of these pyramids, forty centuries look down on us

What is a throne? — a bit of wood gilded and covered in velvet. I am the state— I alone am here the representative of the people. Even if I had done wrong you should not have reproached me in public—people wash their dirty linen at home. France has more need of me than I of France.

The bullet that will kill me is not yet cast.

An army of sheep, led by a lion, is better than an army of lions, led by a sheep.

Authoritarian government required to speak, is silent... Representative government required to speak, lies with impunity.

If I always appear prepared, it is because before entering an undertaking, I have meditated long and have foreseen what might occur. It is not genius where reveals to me suddenly and secretly what I should do in circumstances unexpected by others; it is thought and preparation.

Never awake me when you have good news to announce, because with good news nothing presses; but when you have bad news, arouse me immediately, for then there is not an instant to be lost.

Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the latter than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never.

Passionate people invariably deny their anger, and cowards often boast their ignorance of fear.

I know when it is necessary, how to leave the skin of lion to take one of fox.

From sublime to ridiculousness there is only one step.

Imagination governs the world.

Death is nothing; but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.

In politics, absurdity is not a handicap.

It is the cause, not the death, that makes the martyr.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.

The best way to keep one's word is not to give it.

To exraordinary circumstance we must apply extraordinary remedies.

Victory belongs to the most persevering.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          "John Wayne is a f_cking puss!e!'
                          -Sappersgt
                          Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                          (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Does anyone have the exact words of this quote made by a German General to the Kaiser when the latter was supposed to be demanding too many updates of the battle.

Let me use my head while I can, and after the battle, your Majesty can do anything you want with my head!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                              I didn't know the Greeks had NCOs...

Your right!
                              But that was the way that the attribute was listed.
                              Unknown NCO...
                              When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Working...
                              X