This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia Probes Berezovsky 'plot'

Russia's chief prosecutor says he has launched new criminal proceedings against the exiled tycoon Boris Berezovsky, who lives in London.
    Earlier, Mr Berezovsky told a UK newspaper he was plotting "revolution" to overthrow President Vladimir Putin.
    Moscow said Mr Berezovsky's comments to the Guardian newspaper were grounds for a criminal prosecution.
    Mr Berezovsky later clarified his words, stating that he backs "bloodless change" and does not support violence.
    Mr Berezovsky was granted political asylum in Britain in 2003.
    He told the Guardian that "we need to use force to change this regime" - referring to President Putin's administration in the Kremlin.
    Undermined
    He also said he was giving financial support to unnamed members of Russia's political elite who wanted to force a change of leadership in Moscow.
    The Kremlin said the comments undermined Mr Berezovsky's right to refugee status in Britain.
    Mr Berezovsky has a fortune estimated at £800m ($1.4bn).
    Previously an ally of former President Boris Yeltsin, he has already fought off Russian extradition requests on fraud charges which he said were politically motivated.
    He was one of the first targets of President Putin's crackdown on the Russian oligarchs - well-connected entrepreneurs who made fortunes during privatisation - and went into self-imposed exile at the end of 2000.
    Following the Guardian article, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov again called on Britain to extradite Mr Berezovsky and said he should be stripped of his refugee status.
    Violating
    Speaking to the BBC on Friday, Mr Berezovsky explained why he was considering a violent transfer of power in Russia.
    "Of course I'd prefer it to be peaceful - I don't like violence. But the problem is that for centuries the Russian authorities have been violating the Russian people, turning it into cattle.
    "Take a quick look at what's being shown on Russian state television - any channel - and you'll see that, under the cover of being 'the legitimate authorities', they're violating the Russian people.
    "Therefore, unfortunately, I can't say that this revolution will be without blood. But I tell you - it will happen, with 100% certainty," Mr Berezovsky said.
    In his later statement he said he wanted to see Russia become a free and democratic country - but that fair elections were not viable under the current regime.
    He said: "Therefore I do support using other methods to push for a change back towards democracy.
    "However, I wish to make very clear that all of these methods would be bloodless, with perhaps Georgia and Ukraine's recent popular demonstrations and action being good examples.
    "I do support direct action. I do not advocate or support violence."
    The BBC's Russia analyst Steven Eke says Mr Putin continues to enjoy approval ratings of well over 80% in Russia and a majority of Russians would welcome him staying in office beyond his constitutional limit of two terms.
    Mr Berezovsky, on the other hand, is a public hate figure in Russia, our analyst says.
    Mr Putin has not only consolidated his own grip, but also surrounded himself by like-minded people, drawn overwhelmingly from a security service background, whose loyalty has never been questioned.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC NEWS | Europe | Russia probes Berezovsky 'plot'

Published: 2007/04/13 14:56:53 GMT
    Now why on earth would an ex-Russian oligarch, who is presently in Great Britain as a political refugee, jeopardize his status by putting forth statements like these?
    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Originally posted by Amled View Post
    Now why on earth would an ex-Russian oligarch, who is presently in Great Britain as a political refugee, jeopardize his status by putting forth statements like these?
    Good point! He has claimed that he is being set up by the Kremlin, and has never said anything of the kind. On the contrary, he wishes to see democratic changes brought about by the ballot box.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
      Good point! He has claimed that he is being set up by the Kremlin, and has never said anything of the kind. On the contrary, he wishes to see democratic changes brought about by the ballot box.
      Speaking to the BBC on Friday, Mr Berezovsky explained why he was considering a violent transfer of power in Russia.
      He said: "Therefore I do support using other methods to push for a change back towards democracy.
      "However, I wish to make very clear that all of these methods would be bloodless,
      He does seem to be "waffling" on the issue.
      Keeping his options open so to say.
      Maybe the BEEB will re-run the interview later tonight and I can watch it.
      When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

He might be kicked out based on this talks.... however not necesserilly to Russia.... just outside of UK. Same happened with Lenin who was kicked out of London for preparing Russian revolution.... but he left to Switzerland

Comment

Working...
        X