Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Program: Opinion needed

Hello all,
    I'm from engineering background and completed my MA in History. If any of you can help me in get an opinion on this Online Degree Program?
    Program

Basically it's costing roughly 13,000$, so I'd like to know if it's really worth it (though of course the value of money being relative)? And how good a University is this "American Military University"?

Thanks

What do you need this degree for? Teaching?

Comment

I wouldn't trust any online college. That's just my opinion.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

AMU is one of the oldest online universities. And they are accredidated, also accepted by the VA and DoD. GI Bill and TA can be used so they are not a
        diploma mill.

For on line universities, check the DECT and the US Dept of Education. They both have searchable indexes of accredited schools.

But their programs are pretty military specific. Why do you want one?
        Last edited by Gun Grape; 11 Apr 07,, 03:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          What do you need this degree for? Teaching?
          Sir,
          After engineering I started my own business and continued my MA in History. Currently I'm in final year MA Economics. I'm writing a book on Indian Military history with certain socio-political implications and have been interested in Military Affairs in general.
          I'm interested in this degree to learn the subject in general and to get some more credibility to the content of my book.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            AMU is one of the oldest online universities. And they are accredidated, also accepted by the VA and DoD. GI Bill and TA can be used so they are not a
            diploma mill.
            I didn't get it. What is a diploma mill? I thought it s a graduate degree.

For on line universities, check the DECT and the US Dept of Education. They both have searchable indexes of accredited schools.
            Thanks

But their programs are pretty military specific. Why do you want one?
            As in the previous post I'm interested in subject matter in general. What are the career benefits(non military) of this kind of degree, if any?

Thanks

Comment

RMC(Royal Military College) of Canada has an excellent distance education program in War History, International Affairs etc. But you must be either serving or associated with CF(Canadian Forces) in some way (ex. defence contractor) in order to be eligible.

Comment

American Military University (AMU): Student Eval

I have been a student with American Military University (AMU), since the spring of 2004. I will be completing my BA in Intelligence Studies on May 25, 2007. I have been very pleased with this university for several reasons that I believe many other students would find as reasons to earn a college degree through this school. AMU offers a vast selection of AA, BA, and MA course plans. Military, government, and civilians alike will undoubtedly be able to find a course that coincides with a specific interest or their respective job field. I would consider many of the degree programs to be "non-traditional" but I would in no way diminish the quality of the education received. One only needs to take a course to truly appreciate what AMU has to offer academically and personally. At the undergraduate level, the course books and shipping are free. The courses are held 100% Online and you can access your e-classroom at any time. The professors generally hold at least a Master's Degree and many of them hold PhDs. Additionally, the student will often find that their professor is a working professional within the subject field in which they are teaching. Obviously this augments the learning experience above and beyond that of a curriculum based solely on the textbooks or web notes. The professors are very accommodating toward the students in that many are military members who are often sporadically deployed or sent on temporary duty away from their computers. Arrangements between the student and professor can almost always be made to satisfy the assignment while allowing the student extra time to complete the work if needed. I believe it was in February of 2007 that AMU was evaluated and received their hard earned regional accreditation. I believe this speaks volumes for the staff, curriculum, and the students who provided honest feedback during the entire evaluation.

In summary: if you are considering an online university, I don't think you will have to look further than American Military University. A quick glance at their home page will provide further explanations on what I have broadly covered.

Comment

Originally posted by shakari View Post
                  I didn't get it. What is a diploma mill? I thought it s a graduate degree.

Thanks

As in the previous post I'm interested in subject matter in general. What are the career benefits(non military) of this kind of degree, if any?

Thanks
                  Shakari,

I think there are a few things to look at. If this degree would be a resume builder, then you need to look at what jobs folks are getting with the degree you want to get. Are they moving on to bigger and better jobs, or is it just up in their current organization because they checked a masters degree block (and so it's not really a career enhancer if you are trying to move laterally and then up).

Also, the degree mill comment refers to whether or not they are just an easy way to get a degree and so people sign up for them because they know $$ = diploma. What is their acceptance rate? Not definitive, but a place that is harder to get into is going to be seen as being a cut above other institutions.

If you want to take the coursework just for the knowledge since you've already got your MA in history, then focus on the professors and their skill sets, and talk to current students who have the instructors you want to study with. I had a professor with a pretty decent book out there that wasn't a good instructor. I had professors who were great instructors that weren't that published. And I had professors who were both published and great instructors. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here since you've already gotten your history MA.

So, in the end, I'd contact AMU and get them to have students in the field you want to study contact you, and then branch out from there so that you can get the best feel possible for the program. Also, contacting the instructors should give you a good feel as well - do they blow you off, or are they genuine and contact you even though you aren't currently enrolled in your course.
                  "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
                  X