PDA

View Full Version : Where ships go to die.

tim52
06 Apr 07,, 16:55
I came across this site (Shipspotting.com) a few days back and was struck by how sad it was to see how some of the great ships that sailed the seas came to meet their end.

Shipspotting.com - Shipsphotos (http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?num=10&cid=70)

gunnut
06 Apr 07,, 19:53
Yeah...I always wondered why these newer ships are either used for target practice or scrapped while older, less capable ships sit in the mothball fleet for decades.

Michigan_Guy
07 Apr 07,, 01:19
That's somehting I don't get; why do we sink old ships? That's (literally) a boatload of steel! Is the cost to scrap a ship more then you'd get for all that steel? That would be pretty hard to believe.

gunnut
07 Apr 07,, 04:15
Artificial reef, testing weapons and munitions, testing warship construction and survivability, practice for the crew...etc.

pdf27
08 Apr 07,, 18:33
Yeah...I always wondered why these newer ships are either used for target practice or scrapped while older, less capable ships sit in the mothball fleet for decades.
Hull life? It's entirely possible that the older ships were built with longer hull lives and so are still usable, while the newer ships may have used up their hull life and so be deathtraps without a major refit that they can't justify.

Ytlas
09 Apr 07,, 03:54
I'm of the belief that the older ships sit in storage because no one knows what to do with them. They're full of things that would cause environmental problems if they were scrapped and the cost of removal is more than the scrap value of the ship. As for the newer ships like the Spruance class ships, most of them had 20 years of service life when they were decommissioned. The last Spruance class I worked on was the USS Merrill and it had a full overhaul 3 years before it was decommissioned and we were told it was going be be retired.
I never could understand the decommissioning of the newer destroyer tenders. The ones I saw had little more than 10 years of service, but I guess they got caught up in the downsizing of the Navy.