My latest warship museum weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest warship museum weekend!

Just got back from Boston, met up with my father and a friend of the family (Hopefully he'll be joining the board soon :) ) up there. They flew over from Chicago whilst I hopped up from Florida.

We went to Battleship Cove in Fall River and to the USS Constitution in Boston Harbor. Needless to say, it was an amazing trip.

Here are a few pictures:

Fall River has among other things,
    USS Massachusetts
    USS Joseph P Kennedy
    USS Lionfish
    Soviet-built Tarantul I Hiddensee (of the East German navy)

I know, that sign says "No Climbing". Guess what happens to rule-breakers?

Yup, I made it a grand total of 20 minutes aboard the Massachusetts before being thrown in the brig.

Just in case anybody was wondering what kind of fuel the Navy uses:

My Saving Private Ryan moment. Ironically, we went back to the hotel and rented Flags Of Our Fathers. That'll be on my Amazon.com buylist tonight.

Pictures of the Constitution to follow! :)
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

USS Constitution and USS Cassin Young

I've got a ton of pictures, mostly detail stuff. I'll be posting a bunch in the Models forum later.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The Constitution looks a fabulous vessel, bet it looks incredible in full flow

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
        The Constitution looks a fabulous vessel, bet it looks incredible in full flow
        Doesnt it just Dave, did you check out the recoil systems on them guns ..what a great TP that would be to give..those were the days ;)
        Last edited by T_igger_cs_30; 03 Apr 07,, 19:07.
        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

How big is a HESH round for one of them things Wayne???
          Last edited by dave lukins; 04 Apr 07,, 08:30.

Comment

TH, 20th century battleships all very cool and stuff, but do they ever take the Constitution out for a run, or is she always tied up?
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              TH, 20th century battleships all very cool and stuff, but do they ever take the Constitution out for a run, or is she always tied up?
              Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: She leaves the dock 7-8 times per year (and gets turned around for even weathering) but rarely is she under her own sail power, mostly moving via tugboat.

She's also strictly forbidden from leaving the mouth of the harbor.

In addition, she'd need a couple hundred crew to effectively man the sails and she's only got something like 90 (or less).

Having said that, she's still a commissioned warship in the United States Navy with an active-duty crew, not reservists. Being a national icon - and slower than molasses in January with her tiny crew, about 3 knots - she'll never be sent off to war. But technically she is just as liable to be deployed as any other USN vessel because of her being an active vessel.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: She leaves the dock 7-8 times per year (and gets turned around for even weathering) but rarely is she under her own sail power, mostly moving via tugboat.

She's also strictly forbidden from leaving the mouth of the harbor.

In addition, she'd need a couple hundred crew to effectively man the sails and she's only got something like 90 (or less).

Having said that, she's still a commissioned warship in the United States Navy with an active-duty crew, not reservists. Being a national icon - and slower than molasses in January with her tiny crew, about 3 knots - she'll never be sent off to war. But technically she is just as liable to be deployed as any other USN vessel because of her being an active vessel.
                It'd be fantastic if I ever got a chance to crawl all over her, even better to see the old girl under sail.
                I know I'm talking to the converted but her kind were the most complicated and powerful human powered machines ever made.
                The sheer complexity of her operation and the depth of knowledge required for her officers and able seamen is astonishing. Imagine the minds of the men who could sail them across a thousand or more miles of ocean and make near perfect landfall as a matter of course.

Leibniz

Comment

TopHatter, is that you in the picture??

I never knew you were bald and have red eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post

Have you never seen the terminator?

Leibniz

Comment

Yep, that's me. :)

Not really bald yet, just balding. (and at 31 too )
                      Mostly I keep a very close crew-cut.

Comment

In my part of my country, those who are thin on the pate and have hair in their ears are said to be highly intelligent! :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I wonder if his head spins around when he gets angry?

Where are all the other pictures?

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                          In my part of my country, those who are thin on the pate and have hair in their ears are said to be highly intelligent!
                          In my country they're lonely....

I think Grasshopper is too young to have hair in his ears
                          Last edited by Ytlas; 04 Apr 07,, 05:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                            In my part of my country, those who are thin on the pate and have hair in their ears are said to be highly intelligent! :)
                            No, no. That's Yoda.
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                              Yep, that's me. :)

Not really bald yet, just balding. (and at 31 too )
                              Mostly I keep a very close crew-cut.
                              31 and a half at my last calculation...but who's counting? ;)

Very nice pictures, TH. I am still very jealous!:)
                              "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Working...
                              X