X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last WWI Navy vet dies in Md. at age 105

Last WWI Navy vet dies in Md. at age 105

Last WWI Navy vet dies in Md. at age 105 - Yahoo! News

CHARLOTTE HALL, Md. - Lloyd Brown, the last known surviving World War I Navy veteran, has died. He was 105.

Brown died Thursday at the Charlotte Hall Veterans Home in St. Mary's County, according to family and the U.S. Naval District in Washington.

His death comes days after the death of the last known surviving American female World War I veteran, Charlotte L. Winters, 109.

The deaths leave three known survivors who served in the Army, and a fourth who lives in Washington state but served in the Canadian army, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Brown was born Oct. 7, 1901, in Lutie, Mo., a small farming town in the Ozarks. His family later moved to Chadwick, Mo. In 1918, 16-year-old Brown lied about his age to join the Navy and was soon on the gun crew on the battleship USS New Hampshire.

"All the young men were going in the service. They were making the headlines, the boys that enlisted," Brown told The (Baltimore) Sun in a 2005 interview. "And all the girls liked someone in uniform."

Brown finished his tour of duty in 1919, took a break for a couple of years, then re-enlisted. He learned to play the cello at a musicians school in Norfolk, Va., and was assigned to an admiral's 10-piece chamber orchestra aboard the USS Seattle.

When Brown ended his military career in 1925, he joined the Washington Fire Department's Engine Company 16, which served the White House and embassies. He had married twice, and had a son and daughter from one marriage and two daughters from the other.

Even after reaching 100, Brown remained independent, living alone in his Charlotte Hall bungalow and driving a golf cart around his neighborhood.

A true veteran.....RIP Sir
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

salute

Comment

God Bless

Comment

I remove my hat and bowl my head to a warrior who shows what it is to be a man.
          May your soul rest with all of the best. You have shown what a man should be, regardless of his place in life, to die a warrior and as a man is as good as the the birth of life and starting all over again.

Road Runner!!!

Comment

When I read articles like this, I always think about the stories this man had about his service and if anyone including himself took the time to write them down and pass them along. Service histories are so valuable and so few take the time to record them. How interesting it would be to read about where he was, what he did, his reflections on his own life and those around him during that time. His social and cultural reflections of the war. I wax poetic about a man I never knew, but who served his country. Truly a top individual that has been taken away.
            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Rest in Peace Sir!
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

My salute.
                "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late;
                And how can a man die better; Than facing fearful odds,
                For the ashes of his father; And the temples of his gods."

Comment

Working...
                X