Emir of ISI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emir of ISI

A question related to Iraq. Please answer prior to looking up the answer. Thanks.
    Yes
    27.03%
    No
    72.97%
    Last edited by Shek; 02 Apr 07,, 12:59.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Shek sir is this going to be part of an ongoing quizz?
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

If I didn't vote 'Yes', I'd probably get fired!

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
        Shek sir is this going to be part of an ongoing quizz?
        No. I specifically made sure that this poll was anonymous in its answers (I tend to like the by name voting).

I'm just curious as to the percentage of folks that know it, given that I'm sure that the WAB demographic can run circles around the general public in terms of knowledge. I don't think that the American public is well informed on the consequences of withdrawal from Iraq, and this little nugget of knowledge is a potential barometer for that hypothesis.

Now, I don't know whether the Bush Administration has made a strategic choice not to publicize the ISI (I hope this is the case), but given its ineptitude in distributing its message on other issues surrounding Iraq, I wouldn't be surprised if its a lack of competence, either.
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Got THAT right.

But CENTCOM's New Guy has pledged to start getting that right, if only from the COCOM level. (It sure would be nice if we had a real effort worthy of the name at the national level, too.)

Comment

Shek,

Are you alluding to the CS Monitor article?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
              Shek,

Are you alluding to the CS Monitor article?
              Sir,
              My guess is no since I'm not sure what CSM article you are referring to. I guess the CTC's new article last week which I posted in the Staff College triggered my question.

Comment

Sir

You havent answered the question you asked.

Please do that, for I dont know whos the emir of ISI. Infact when you are on it, could you tell me what is the whole thing about.
                "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late;
                And how can a man die better; Than facing fearful odds,
                For the ashes of his father; And the temples of his gods."

Comment

I got it.

His name is Abu Omar al-Baghdadi.

Comment

Successor to the other guy we wacked?

Comment

I have to admit that while I have heard of this guy before, when I first saw this thread his name slipped my mind. Is that the point here? That the new guy just doesn't have that kind of...would you call it marketability? Does this signify progress against A. Q. in Iraq?
                      Last edited by HKDan; 03 Apr 07,, 02:33.

Comment

I thought it was Zarqawi since ObL had stated that he was the emir. It is what is also contained in the CSM of 1 Apr!

But then, obviously I am wrong.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was the emir of AQI. He was replaced by Abu Ayyub al-Masri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Baghdadi is the emir of the Islamic State of Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by HKDan View Post
                            I have to admit that while I have heard of this guy before, when I first saw this thread his name slipped my mind. Is that the point here? That the new guy just doesn't have that kind of...would you call it marketability? Does this signify progress against A. Q. in Iraq?
                            No, this development signals a new front in the GWOT, war against radical islam, the "long war," etc., with the virtual establishment of a new caliphate in Iraq. The arguments for the caliphate rest heavily on the history of Mohammed to deflect the criticisms that there aren't defined boundaries, there aren't services provided by the "government" of the caliphate, etc. While the argument has been cleverly crafted to avoid the necessity of looking and acting the part of a modern nation-state with territory, boundaries, government, services, etc., failure to win in Iraq followed by the ability to define some boundaries and setup something that walks and acts more like a modern nation-state will do nothing but give it more credibility in the eyes of many in the Muslim world, and will then serve as an AQ coup de grace in Iraq.

Instead of being AQ's Vietnam as Ralph Peters wants to describe Iraq (an argument I don't necessarily buy into), Iraq becomes a trophy on the mantle if the ISI succeeds. The fact that as of right now, only 1/3 of WAB members know of Baghdadi and how the ISI relates within Iraq is an indicator that probably less than 5%, if even that, of the general American population has any idea of the ISI and its potential implications. Instead, the fight over the legitimacy of the current fight is still bogged down in the quagmire of WMD and other extraneous arguments over the current fight. For sure, much of this exists from the failure of the Bush Administration to constantly be working on explaining Iraq to the public, and so the narrative has been hijacked by those opposed, but it is dangerous nonetheless IMO.

For more information on the ISI, here are two prior posts that you can check out.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/359713-post4.html
                            http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/war...out-press.html
                            Last edited by Shek; 04 Apr 07,, 02:23.

Comment

I admit, I didnt know the answer or about ISI :(
                              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Working...
                              X