Think this will work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think this will work?

Hi there! I stumbled onto these forums by accident, and can't help but get your thoughts on some things.

I've been thinking of joining up for about a year now. College really isn't working out. My best friend joined the Army last year, he's done with training and is networking in Germany, so it worked for him, and my mom's boyfriend has great things to say about the Air Force.

It just seems like a good choice, but I can't help but think it won't work out.

I think I can manage getting into shape if I really tried, I hear it's not too terriby tough to make the entry reqs, but I have a couple other things going on that I can't find any definitive info on.

I've got some terrible vision, it's at about 20/1000, and degenerating. Corrective lenses aren't even working out, so I'm looking into cornia transplants. Is this going to be a big problem assuming the surgery works?

A friend told me he was in the Army for a month. The recruiters had him lie about being on antidepressants, and he got caught, put into some unit during basic that was basically guys waiting to be processed to go home, they raked leaves and stuff.

I have the same problem, I guess. I haven't taken those pills for a long time, and I'm really starting to feel it. I got an appointment for another subscription.

I hate to plunge you for info, but here's something I really can't find anywhere else: I don't know if I have the right attittude. Maybe it's because I'm currently depressed and don't have any direction, but I don't know if I could take it if it got tough. Then again, maybe having something to do would help.

If your curious, I'm thinking Air Force. It's getting stagnant around here, I could see traveling around working out. I know some Spanish, too, maybe I can do something with that. Or helicopters, who doesn't like helicopters.

Thanks for the help, I guess I need some encouragement.
    Last edited by Pantheon; 27 Mar 07,, 16:46.

I don't know about the corrective surgery I know that as of 2 years ago the airforce was only accepting one of the types as being ok but you could be basically blind and get waivered in. Check with you local meps or call the national hotline for recruiting on this one don't talk to the local recruiter they have a tendanc to lie just a little. (think this has something to do with quotas)

Comment

mmmmmmmmm how odd
      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Air Force would probably be the best choice... from what I've heard the MOSs there can help secure a good career upon transferring back to the civvy world.

AF is the most lenient physically, I believe... if you do extremely well on the ASVAB. I had a 93 on mine (rushed through it though).

Recruiters... yep, they lie like a rug. They lie to you, then they lie about you. They say "whatever you say now, is what you have to say forever". At least the Army chaps. ;)
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I know of a guy who did 3 years with a heart murmur so anything is possible.
          Get fit and give it a go if thats what you want.
          "Just go home rednecks!" Me, 28/03/2007

Comment

The military ain't for you. Above all else, the military demands a price to be paid for anything that they give you and all militaries tell you up front what that price is.

It looks like from your post that you're not willing to pay that price and frankly, you're not worth our troubles and neither are we yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              The military ain't for you. Above all else, the military demands a price to be paid for anything that they give you and all militaries tell you up front what that price is.

It looks like from your post that you're not willing to pay that price and frankly, you're not worth our troubles and neither are we yours.
              No chance of them turning a boy into a man then?
              "Just go home rednecks!" Me, 28/03/2007

Comment

At this point in time, we don't have the luxury.

Comment

Furthermore, notice the reasons he gave for wanting to 'try it out'. It's all about HIM. Well, that ain't 'service; that's being served.

You've got to be there because you want to DO something. A drectionless and adrfit person that is simply looking for something to do, or is looking for what he can get out of it is NOT what we want. We want somebody that will do hard stuff and keep going, and ask for MORE hard stuff.

Military life can be HARD, and certain aspects can be VERY hard. If you REALLY want to serve, then you can. But if you're just looking for some kind of a dodge or a way to goldbrick along on somebody else's responsibility...don't join.

Comment

Working...
                  X