Words Have Meaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words Have Meaning

Here's a good entry that I came across at the SWJ Blog.

I’ve been on Jim Guirard’s (TrueSpeak.org) e-mail list for years and have found his discussion of ‘the power of words’ quite fascinating, to say the least. Jim is an ‘out of the box’ thinker in regards to information operations and has taken on the West’s choice of Arabic terms and the message they convey as a life-mission.

For those interested in Jim’s work I recommend beginning with the following as an introduction and reference point for further research.

Mini Glossary For Fellow Word Warriors

At the request of several "word warriors" on my lists, here is an update of a late-2006 memo which lists quite a number of the Arabic and Islamic words we will need to break out of the habit-of-language box which today makes makes us the "bad guys" and the "infidels" and so falsely anoints the al Qaeda-style suicide mass murderers as the so-called jihadi "holy guys" and shahidi "martyrs."

Importantly, the ubiquitous (it’s everywhere! it's everywhere!!) word Jihad is entered four times in order to more clearly define its several meanings and to deprive al Qaeda killers of its halo.
    Read the rest at Words Have Meaning (SWJ Blog)
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Fascinating. Must start using some of these words.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks Shek:)
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Mods

This is a valuable and constantly used resource for me and, I suspect, some others.

Words have meaning, indeed. Can we sticky this? Please? I'm always looking and I think good diction should always be at the forefront of any post, especially ones that address worthless irhabi fcuks that need to be sent to hell expeditiously.:)
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Thank You

Thanks fellas.

Next stop-Websters.

Soon all these shall be part of our daily lexicon.

Blessings.:)
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
            Thanks fellas.

Next stop-Websters.

Soon all these shall be part of our daily lexicon.

Blessings.:)

S2,

My friend, what you say is correct, but it is ten or fifteen years behind. The situation has changed. It is no longer what they hear said, it is what they hear...or can be convinced they hear. Hit 'em between the ears, not in the ears.

William
            Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

I'd seen S-2 refer to irhabis... I got it confused with takfiri. Good word to know.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

mufsiduun is also very useful when talking to people who aren't.
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Parihaka Reply

"mufsiduun is also very useful when talking to people who aren't."

Some lovely reading related to the information war near and dear to our hearts. From the Nat'l Defense University's Center for Strategic Communication a neat paper from 2006-

Choosing Words Carefully: Language to Help Fight Islamic Terrorism-NDU May 23, 2006

Comment

The media should say our soilders in Iraq.

Troops just takes away their individuality.

Comment

Working...
                    X