Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corps clarifies tattoo policy

Corps clarifies tattoo policy

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (March 20, 2007) -- The Marine Corps is clarifying its tattoo policy according to Marine administrative message 197/07.

“This clarification came about because there was room for interpretation of the old policy,” said Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson, spokesman for the commandant of the Marine Corps. “The commandant had this issue come up at every town hall meeting that he attended and wanted to make the policy fair across the board, squashing any margin for error.”

The message details new guidelines for Marines with tattoos, specifically, restricting them from getting sleeve tattoos while protecting those who already have them.

“Effective April 1, Marines are prohibited from getting sleeve tattoos,” said Capt. Stephen T. Fowler, military policy analyst, Manpower Plans and Policy Division, Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Headquarters Marine Corps. “Those individuals who have sleeve tattoos are required to be documented by their command by July 1.”

A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person’s entire arm or leg. Half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing a standard physical training T-shirt and shorts are likewise prohibited.

Marines who currently have sleeve tattoos need to have them photographed by their command and have them documented in their service record books to be grandfathered into this policy.

“The grandfathering clause is to protect Marines who currently have sleeve tattoos,” said Fowler. “By being grandfathered they will be as competitive for promotion and retention as their peers who do not have such tattoos.”

The new policy should not have an effect on recruiting numbers, said Fowler. “The policy change is not any more stringent than the guidelines used by the Recruiting Command,” he said.

Marines can contact their administrative office for more information.
    Source: Marine Corps News -> Corps clarifies tattoo policy
    Attached Files
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Brisk business

This would be a good week to own an Oceanside tattoo parlor!
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
      This would be a good week to own an Oceanside tattoo parlor!
      What about chinese eyes on the cheeks of ones ass, courtesy of friends dropping one off in "red rosies tattoo" parlour, when asleep due to an upset stomach .........
      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
        What about chinese eyes on the cheeks of ones ass, courtesy of friends dropping one off in "red rosies tattoo" parlour, when asleep due to an upset stomach .........
        Got pictures?
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
          Got pictures?
          Mrs Tigger does not allow me to talk about it .....never mind pictures.......because its signed "love Rosie"
          sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Never been fond of a tattoo on a man or a woman. Have never seen one that I thought looked really nice or enhanced the persons overall looks. Then again to be fair, I don't understand why a person would want a tattoo in the first place. To be different - to display a uniqueness - doesn't that come with a persons character? To be part of a crowd - to join - why would someone place something on their body that cannot be removed? What I really don't understand is young women getting a tattoo on their belly or low back. They ever plan on having kids that is going to get mighty ugly.
            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
              Mrs Tigger does not allow me to talk about it .....never mind pictures.......because its signed "love Rosie"
              I'm not sure if I want this image in my head
              Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                What I really don't understand is young women getting a tattoo on their...low back.
                Those are incredibly popular but I frankly don't see the appeal.

I've also read that those type of tattoos are called "Tramp Stamps"
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I love my tattoos. I have three more in the works and then I may be done. I would like one as a tribute to my short roomate...her name with some fluffy girly design or something of the sort. I also want mala beads on my right ankle to go with the buddha on my left foot. Lastly, I want a Mexican and an American flag somehow intertwined...been thinking about this one for years and have had it drawn up a half dozen times or so and just cannot find it how I like it.
                  "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Guess I wont have to worry about joining the USMC anytime soon. Thank god for the grandfather clause
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 22 Mar 07,, 12:53.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

No, you didnt just say that....LMAO. (Knew that for a long time but never mentioned around women) especially if I wanted to be closer to them

Remind me NEVER to stand next to you in a bar where there are women drinking with those back tatts. That is without me flakjacket.;)
                      Last edited by Dreadnought; 22 Mar 07,, 13:39.

Comment

Originally posted by THL View Post
                        I love my tattoos. I have three more in the works and then I may be done. I would like one as a tribute to my short roomate...her name with some fluffy girly design or something of the sort. I also want mala beads on my right ankle to go with the buddha on my left foot. Lastly, I want a Mexican and an American flag somehow intertwined...been thinking about this one for years and have had it drawn up a half dozen times or so and just cannot find it how I like it.
                        If you have the time or inclination, you could go to the arts department at a nearby college. Make an ad for $20.00 for the best design and place it on a reader board. You would be amazed at what some starving art student can come up with for some extra beer money.
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

We agree on this point.

Lovely and I see your point. I don't disagree with the terminology at all and can see how that thought came about. Both of us could go to the bar and trash tramp stamps with reckless abandon. Since I'm short, when a fight breaks out I'll go low - you go high.

I knew a gal once who got her body fairly full of tattoos and then went on to show me - while at work. She asked if I wanted to see and then just went ahead without me answering. Now, I never knew that polyester clothing could be hiked up so high and low and still cover the minimum. She was very proud that the various tattoos won her some event. I didn't ask what kind of event - who really wants to know that? Well ok-now most of the people that are reading this but not me. Ever since that time I have tried to leave the subject of tattoos alone especially when in the company of women.

I have found however that men for the most part aren't so quick to uncover themselves and show off a tattoo - mainly for the reason that most men don't hide them, they are easily seen.

Comment

I have found however that men for the most part aren't so quick to uncover themselves and show off a tattoo - mainly for the reason that most men don't hide them, they are easily seen.

Myself, I keep them covered as much as possible most of the time. Its not real easy to do come the nicer weather wearing shorter shirts and tank tops but what can you do. The only person that sees them all at once is the mistress or when swimming. Besides it keeps the looky lo's from making small talk;)

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                              Eewwww....I dont easily show any that are hidden, though none are in a place that would not be seen while wearing a tank top or sandals.

Ya know what I dont like...people touching them! I have one on my arm that looks one way when you first look at it and another way after you have looked at it for a few minutes...people...strangers...will grab my arm and turn it or rub my fore arm...eeeewwwww.
                              "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Working...
                              X