DVD TV Player Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD TV Player Help Please

Okay, so I have this TV that has a coaxial connection for the cable, but no little plugs for the yellow, white and red video, audio cord to connect the tv to the dvd player.

Is there some sort of adapter that I can get to modify this?
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Yeah, it's called a new TV. ;)

Here's a workaround for you THL. You do have a VCR, right? Cable the DVD output into the line 1 input for the VCR (using the color coded RCA cables), then take the coax from the VCR to the TV. You can then use the input selector on the VCR to select line 1 to watch DVD's. You can leave the TV on channel 3 and use the tuner on the VCR (plug your cable connection to the coax input on the VCR).

If your cable box uses RCA cables too, just plug them into line 1 on the VCR and the DVD into line 2, and use the VCR's input selector accordingly (whether you are watching TV or a movie).
    Last edited by highsea; 21 Mar 07,, 06:44.
    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Canadian Tire

Comment

Ahhh, how did I manage to overlook the obvious solution?

THL, just drive up to Canada and buy some tires!
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
          Ahhh, how did I manage to overlook the obvious solution?
          Yeah but your solution is like, so much more fun, and requires so many more cables, and remotes, and then you can go out and buy a multi-remote, and some cable ties, and then not remember how you wired it in the first place, and then do it all over again, and then get a really shitty picture, and then use that as an excuse to go out and get a new 42" 16:9 HDTV with scart, RCA and fibre plugs and surround sound
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Lol. The tires will be cheaper.

Hey, you knockin' my setup? I bought a new Samsung LCD TV, and it doesn't have analog RCA inputs, but it has a coax connector!

I guess they assume everyone will use component video from now on. One of these days I am going to have to go buy some more cables...
            Last edited by highsea; 21 Mar 07,, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
              Lol. The tires will be cheaper.

Hey, you knockin' my setup? I bought a new Samsung LCD TV, and it doesn't have analog RCA inputs, but it has a coax connector!

I guess they assume everyone will use component video from now on. One of these days I am going to have to go buy some more cables...
              Your new LCD should also have HDMI inputs, which is all digital audio/video. So when you buy Blue Ray or HD DVD, you can use the full capability. If your LCD doesn't have HDMI, you bought an outdated TV .

Comment

Originally posted by kams View Post
                If your LCD doesn't have HDMI, you bought an outdated TV .
                Yeah, there's also the question of checking the resolution of your "HD Ready" TV. Beware the ones in the sales as the old saying has it - if it looks too good to be true it probably is. Retailers are getting rid of wrong standard TVs.

The Facts and Fiction of 1080p - Xbox

1080p - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Answers: HDTV Resolution - Standards vs. Capability

Comment

Two words, WEDDING REGISTRY.:)
                  Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                    Two words, WEDDING REGISTRY.:)
                    :)

Comment

Originally posted by kams View Post
                      Your new LCD should also have HDMI inputs, which is all digital audio/video. So when you buy Blue Ray or HD DVD, you can use the full capability. If your LCD doesn't have HDMI, you bought an outdated TV .
                      Yup and If your DVD player does not have HDMI you still are screwed. A Blu Ray DVD player is almost 800$ and you could get a decent 42" LCD for that price

THL, I think Highseas method is the only way to connect your outdated TV with the outdated DVD..

Better yet, sell your TV and DVD player in Craigslist and get a new set
                      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                        Yup and If your DVD player does not have HDMI you still are screwed. A Blu Ray DVD player is almost 800$ and you could get a decent 42" LCD for that price

THL, I think Highseas method is the only way to connect your outdated TV with the outdated DVD..

Better yet, sell your TV and DVD player in Craigslist and get a new set
                        Actually if any of you bothered to follow OoE's link the perfect solution is right there for just $21.49.....
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                          Actually if any of you bothered to follow OoE's link the perfect solution is right there for just $21.49.....
                          Free is better than $21.49 ;)

Also I think the RF Adapter accepts coaxial input and sends out component/svideo out? Its been ages I use done of those.
                          A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

[QUOTE=Jay;357646]
                            Free is better than $21.49 ;)
                            Cheap bugger
                            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

This TV I am connecting is an old one that I have in my room. It has spent the last two years at my sisters house and has now made it back home.

I went to Circuit City tonight and bought some sort of adapter to connect it all to and make it work.

After nearly an hour, two glasses of red wine and getting shocked twice (FYI: Do not lean up against a TV with a lot of static on the screen while touching an equally staticy DVD player and while wearing any undergarments that contain a type of half moon shaped metal - the outcome will be painful) I have it connected and it works!
                              "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Working...
                              X