3]Zulu
4]Band of Brothers
5]Pearl Harbour
6]Memphis Belle
7]The Great Escape
8]All Quiet on the Western Front
9]The Boat
10] Other

Das Boat without a doubt. I found "Pearl Harbor" very cheesy. The Great Escape-liked it when I was a kid.

What do you make of gallipoli? as an aussie?

Jan
20 Mar 07,, 01:07
1] Saving Private Ryan.
2]Black Hawk Down
3]Zulu
4]Band of Brothers
5]Pearl Harbour
6]Memphis Belle
7]The Great Escape
8]All Quiet on the Western Front
9]The Boat
10] Other

My favorite:Guns of Navarone.

T_igger_cs_30
20 Mar 07,, 01:33
Although I am pretty sure this has been done before I voted Zulu and would like to mention a very close second ......'Das Boot".........and third ...."Cross of Iron"

xerxes
20 Mar 07,, 02:27
Saving Private Ryan, followed closely by Band of Brothers, are the best.

I despise and hate Pearl Harbor and the Enemy at the Gates with a passion.

101st Airborne
20 Mar 07,, 02:44
Ah yes. Enemy at the Gates. I forgot it. In fact I shouldn't have. I liked it very much and I guess you might have some reason of your own Xerxes to say that. It was in fact a marvelous movie and showed it like it was.
Yes Cross of Iron with James Cohburn. Great movie for it's day.
Gallipoli? Marvelous movie. But I didn't list it with the greats because it holds a special meaning for Australians and is above mere polls.
Pearl Harbor. I loved it. Planes and dames with nylons and plenty of shootin' and bulldust. Who cares if it is bulldust. It was entertaining.
I am surprised that Black Hawk Down didnt rate.
I liked it a lot.

SnowLeopard
20 Mar 07,, 09:52
Gallipoli I saw as a teen and seen from an American standpoint with a great knowledge of history, the wasting of Australians by the Brits wasn't lost in meaning.

As far as the 'best'? Well, what is the intended message? To entertain, to convince that it is really like this and avoid as much as possible, that it is really like this and join up to kill the bas**rd, or what?

And from what point of view? From the 'English' side, from the English yet Soviet side (where they will lose in the end, anyhow), from a Third World side? Or what?

Also, a lot depends on how background the viewer has to a movie. While I saw Zeppelin as a child, long, long before I was an adult and in the Navy, it's angle, presentation on the various points of Intelligence stays with me to this day ............................ but would others see it that way?

I'll tell you one thing; I don't think I could present anywhere near a convincing performance for the sheer terror of a constructed "Man Overboard!" from a zeppelin.

If I thought about it for a while, I could come up with a great list, .... but I should be studying, so ......

Entertaining: Zeppelin (sure, weak at points, but insightful at others)

Counter English: The Beast (but it has been years since I've seen it, so memory may be faulty)

Counter Third World: The Terrorist (Dir: Santosh Sivan)

Now, to the original list: unfortunally, I've only seen Zulu (great), The Great Escape (over and over on tv, so okay), and The Boat (great).
-------------------------------------------------
("For six crucial minutes, Major Von Richter, the mission will be dependent on you and your expert knowledge of the local country side. We have gone to a great deal of trouble to acquire you; I know we won't be disappointed."--Major Tauntler, (wtte), "Zeppelin")

InfiniteDreams
20 Mar 07,, 10:03
Although not a fan of his political views Oliver Stone's Platoon is without a doubt one of the best war movies I've ever seen.

Dafoe and Berenger were excellent, especially Berenger imo. There are two scenes with Sgt Bob Barnes going off that are both serious and at the same time funny as hell. The dialogue of Barnes was brilliant. Also the transformation of Chris Taylor from beginning to end left an impression on me.

One for Platoon.:)

101st Airborne
20 Mar 07,, 11:35
I guess Snowleopard, that if a Frenchman was a member of this forum he would answer as a Frenchman and would have chosen "other' and filled in a film made in France.
If a gardener had answered, I guess he might have chosen a movie that had lots of flowers in it.
For whatever reason anyone deems a particular war movie is the best they have seen, it is up to them only what criteria they use.
The question was what do YOU think was the best war movie.
It didn't extend to why.
It is just a fun poll Snowleopard, not a university thesis for you Phd.

101st Airborne
20 Mar 07,, 11:38
Another movie that I missed out of the poll that should have been in there was 'A BRIDGE TOO FAR'.
A fantastic effort for it's day. A war movie for the buffs.

THL
20 Mar 07,, 12:23
I vote for The Majestic. (C'Mon - it's kind've a war movie! He got killed in a war.)

I saw it again last week after not having seen it for a long time and it was pretty good. :)

101st Airborne
20 Mar 07,, 12:47
I haven't seen it THL.
Is this it?

Welcome to The Majestic (http://majesticmovie.warnerbros.com/)

SnowLeopard
20 Mar 07,, 13:57
I guess Snowleopard, that if a Frenchman was a member of this forum he would answer as a Frenchman and would have chosen "other' and filled in a film made in France.
If a gardener had answered, I guess he might have chosen a movie that had lots of flowers in it.
For whatever reason anyone deems a particular war movie is the best they have seen, it is up to them only what criteria they use.
The question was what do YOU think was the best war movie.
It didn't extend to why.
It is just a fun poll Snowleopard, not a university thesis for you Phd.

WELL, FIRST OF ALL ........................... no insult taken and none intended.

Secondly, you'll learn that of me, I like to explain, ie, talk a lot.

Next, that's what I put down, what I thought was the best war movie but understand, they are taken from certain points of view. So despite that I'm American and was in service during the Cold War, I was not so anxious to see movies that had "Kill a Commie for Ronnie".

Following that, when I do my PhD, it may be in oceanography, it could be in Criminal Justice, it might even be in Psychology or Education .... but it probably won't be in film analysis .......... (though I have done media research from time to time from various angles).

For example, ever notice how Xena and Gabrielle resemble ........... Wicked Wanda and Candyfloss despite there being a 20 year difference? There's food for thought!

Back to the subject at hand, movies are made to sell to a particular audience. If they fail at that, odds are they will be forgotten. It's the memory of the audience that receives them that makes them great, IMHO.
("I like to watch,"--Chauncey Gardener, (wtte), "Being There")

101st Airborne
20 Mar 07,, 14:44
No problems SnowLeopard. I'm sure we will talk again.

execrable
20 Mar 07,, 14:51
Great thread!

My favourites are

Apocalypse Now
Full Metal jacket
633 Squadron
Ice Cold in Alex
The Pianist
Bridge Over the River Kwai
A Bridge Too Far
The Longest Day
The Eagle Has Landed
Kellyís Heroes

But that's just me.

101st Airborne
20 Mar 07,, 15:14
Kelly's Heros. Yeah I loved that junk mate. Great music too. HAHAHA!
The Eagle has landed. I was only watching it this week.
Michael Caine. Robert Duval. In fact Robert Duval is my favourite actor.

I have remembered another classic that should not be left out of any list.
" Battle of Britain". Great in every way.
And Shindler's List.
And the Dam Busters.

And what was the name of that terrific movie with Clint Eastwood, when they parachuted in to that castle in the German Alps from a Ju 52?
Great.
'Where Eagles Dare"......Yes

SnowLeopard
20 Mar 07,, 15:28
Kelly's Heros. Yeah I loved that junk mate. Great music too. HAHAHA!
The Eagle has landed. I was only watching it this week.
Michael Caine. Robert Duval. In fact Robert Duval is my favourite actor.

I have remembered another classic that should not be left out of any list.
" Battle of Britain". Great in every way.
And Shindler's List.
And the Dam Busters.

And what was the name of that terrific movie with Clint Eastwood, when they parachuted in to that castle in the German Alps from a Ju 52?
Great.

Complete with a Bell 47 ....... which as things go, wasn't too far out of place. Actually, one of my intel profs noted the realism of that movie, Eagles, when Richard Burton says he's with some service when a German soldier walks in ... and departs instantly, because no one wanted to get on that service's bad side. I don't remember the exact line or the service mentioned, though.

The book wasn't bad, either (Alistair MacClean).

I caught part of Battle of Britain on TCM this weekend and while movie creditbility is always debatable, I have to wonder .......... did Goring ever have any leadership creditbility?
--------------------------------------------------
("Do me a favor, will you? Next time you have one of these things, keep it an all-British operation."--Lt. Schaffer, (wtte), "Where Eagles Dare")

execrable
20 Mar 07,, 18:22
Great.

More than just a war movie but I suspect the fact Eastwood was in it (at the same time as his Dirty Harry movies) means people won't take it seriously as a war movie.

when Richard Burton says he's with some service when a German soldier walks in ... and departs instantly, because no one wanted to get on that service's bad side.

I remember that too and was impressed - now I'll have to root around my DVD collection to stop wondering what the answer was....

xerxes
20 Mar 07,, 18:28
Ah yes. Enemy at the Gates. I forgot it. In fact I shouldn't have. I liked it very much and I guess you might have some reason of your own Xerxes to say that. It was in fact a marvelous movie and showed it like it was.

I dont like "Enemy at the Gates", because it represents a hollywoodish way of making a war movie. Whereas the SavingPrivateRyan/BandsofBrothers/FlagsofOurFather/LettersFromIwoJima are movies that have meaning and that represent evil to be the demon inside onself, rather than typical random Nazi as presented in "Enemy at the Gates". If you notice Enemy at the Gates had a main villian character, the Nazi colonel sniper. That is also a concept that I hate in war movie, and it turns it into a James Bondish type of flick. Preal Harbour, I despised because it made the Japanese look really bad, and I hate movies that represent one group of people as bad. Just for your information, I would have the same opinion should the Japanese make a movie about the fire-bombing of Tokyo in 1945, where close to 250,000 died, and show graphically how the flesh truned into flame and smoke. These kind of movies are unnessacery. I consider, Preal Harbour to be an unworthy propoganda movie.

I think Platoon should be added, another great movie, is Mel Gibson's "When we were soldeires and Young". I loved it. Another one is Apocalypse Now, Full Medal Jacket.

Ofcourse, there are those classic encyclopedic war movies like: The Longest Day, Tora tora tora, Battle of Britian, patton, macarthur, a bridge too far ... and many others.

gunnut
20 Mar 07,, 21:11
Come on, how can you not like Enemy at the Gates? It has the hottest sniper and public sex scene in the barracks. It had to be the most erotic scene of any war movie....uh...or so I've heard....

Bluesman
20 Mar 07,, 22:16
I wrote this a long time ago, and I still think it's my favorite:

I know it's the complete opposite of what the thread was about, but I thought one of the very BEST movies to portray the military - especially LEADERSHIP AND COMMAND - was 12 O'Clock High.

Brian Donlevy's acting as the two-star general is not-so-hotso (he was REALLY 'old school', so I give him a pass), but Gregory Peck, the guy that played the XO, Major Cobb, and Lt. Zimmermann were a credit to their craft.

It has been a required feature at Air Force professional military education courses for many years, and rightly so. It shows what it means to be in command, to LEAD, instead of just doing your job. It actually made me see what the word meant, and if you look behind the storyline, the acting, the combat scenes and the 'movie' aspects, there is real value there.

Can't say more for a military movie than this: it was a realistic portrayal of what the military is like, and it inspires military people to become better leaders. QED.

I like it so much, I actually bought it this weekend, down in Key West.

dalem
20 Mar 07,, 22:18
I've always been partial to A Bridge Too Far, myself. A lot of the others, I like, but that one edges into my favorite. It's got everything I like in a war movie.

-dale

SnowLeopard
20 Mar 07,, 23:56
Come on, how can you not like Enemy at the Gates? It has the hottest sniper and public sex scene in the barracks. It had to be the most erotic scene of any war movie....uh...or so I've heard....

I actually rather liked Enemy at the Gates, but then again, I am both a fan of Ed Harris and got a thing for snipers, the deadly reputation of the craft.

Public sex scene in the barracks? I don't quite recall that which all goes to show, either my mind was elsewhere or with so much of it in the movies, another just becomes like wallpaper.
--------------------------------------------------
(There were always beautiful women wanting to break into the film business and equally beautiful women wanting to stay in the film business, but after a while and with the constant parade, Paul Foster found them as outstanding as the floral pattern of wall paper. (description of SHADO's Colonel Foster's film cover), (w,stte), Book: UFO-1 by Robert Miall)

101st Airborne
21 Mar 07,, 00:05
[QUOTE= Pearl Harbour, I despised because it made the Japanese look really bad, [/QUOTE]

Made them look really bad?
I have some news that might interest you. From an Australian perspective, they were 'really bad". You might get that view around China too.

If Paul Tibbets hadn't been chosen to nuke them and I was around then, I would have asked if I could have done it.

101st Airborne
21 Mar 07,, 00:08
Yeah Ed Harris did a great job in that part.
Public sex scene Gun nut? I saw some movement and grunting under a great coat. Was that it?

xerxes
21 Mar 07,, 00:15
^^

Allright, mr 101, i dont want to derail this thread about my pro/anti-Japanese views. But lets say I am against a movie that is alienate a whole people and society. and I did say the samething in regard of a Japanese movie based on American burning kids, old man and women in the paper-cities of Japan by firebombing.

Why i dont like these kind of movie, because there are watched by millions of people who are easilly influenced by them. As far as nuking cities around for the hell of it. I would rather die than to be responbile for the death of 100,000s of people. But thats just me. Sometimes, I feel human race deserve to die as a whole.

101st Airborne
21 Mar 07,, 00:25
Yeah, well any movie they like to make that keeps reminding the next generation of what the Japs did is OK by me.
In Australia we don't want them to forget.
Now if you will excuse me, it's August 1945 and I've got a B29 waiting with it's engines idling.

SnowLeopard
21 Mar 07,, 00:26
I suppose I might think differently if I actually saw the movie, but I can't understand what all the excitement about "Pearl Harbor" is. I mean, we know how the movie is suppose to go, in the big picture, right? From the description, it sounds like another version of "Pearl" (Dennis Weaver, Robert Wagner, Leslie Anne Warren, Angie Dickenson). If anything would draw me in to watch this movie, it would be to see pictures of the Cold War fleets in mothballs (only if you have pause).
-------------------------------------------------------------------
("I hear in this picture, the sinkng of the ship is quite realistic."--adult couple in line for "Titanic"
"Awwww, thanks! Go ahead and ruin the picture for us!"--kids behind them in line, (w,stte), editorial cartoon of the time)

101st Airborne
21 Mar 07,, 00:36
You haven't seen Pearl Harbour Snowleopard? Get the DVD out and see it.
Come back and tell us what you think tomorrow.

12 Oclock High. Yes I loved the start when the adjutant rode to the weed infested strip on his bicycle and remembered.

A Bridge too Far. I am glad that there are such people in the world that go to all this effort so that I can sit in my home theatre and look at such marvels. Give thanks for modern cinema my friends.

xerxes
21 Mar 07,, 00:46
Yeah, well any movie they like to make that keeps reminding the next generation of what the Japs did is OK by me.
In Australia we don't want them to forget.

yes, 101. I agree, the next generation should learn and know. But not by biased movies (generally-speaking), rather by reading and reading and reading.

Now if you will excuse me, it's August 1945 and I've got a B29 waiting with it's engines idling.

Indeed

BudW
21 Mar 07,, 02:28
Saving Private ryan
Band of Brothers
Battle Ground
Stlag 17
Das Boat
Patton
Apocalypse Now
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Black Hawk Down
Gettysburg

101st Airborne
21 Mar 07,, 02:39
Good list BudW.
Not enough of them to put on the list. That is the problem.

Another movie that should be seriously considered as a 'great' is "Operation Crossbow". The test flying and manufacture and ultimate destruction of the German flying bombs.

Also "The Heros of Telmark". Destruction of Germany's heavy water plant in Norway.
And "Dunkirk", was one of the great too. With John Mills.

Canmoore
21 Mar 07,, 03:40
I really liked Das Boot, however I decided to vote for Band of Brothers, because I thought that was extremely well done, not just the fighting scenes but in portraying the "band of brothers" that becomes of men in war.

saambaarblast
21 Mar 07,, 05:48
20th Century theme not neccessarily in this order:
-------------------------------------------------------
Guns of Navarone
The Great Escape
Bridge on the River Kwai
The longest Day
Tora Tora Tora
Where Eagles Dare
The Dirty Dozen
Lawrance of Arabia
Operation Pettycoat
Das Boot
Von Ryan's Express
The one that got away
Blue Max
Stalag 17

Historical war movies, off the top of my head
--------------------------------
Cleopatra(Naval battle Scene)
Ben Hur( Naval battle Scene)
El Cid
Helen of Troy

My all time favorite is of course "The Duck Soup".

Stan187
21 Mar 07,, 06:30
Unfortunately Band of Brothers is not a movie. Otherwise it'd be right up at the top. As far as movie, Platoon and Uprising are my favorite.

101st Airborne
21 Mar 07,, 06:49
Well Stan it is a movie made for TV and not the cinema, but it's a movie.
Few would disagree when I say it is the best ever Canmoore. It tops my list too.

Hmmm Saam, you pulled the rug out from under us with Lawrence of Arabia.
How could I forget it? Absolutely marvelous. Brilliant. Unforgetable.

gunnut
21 Mar 07,, 07:32
yes, 101. I agree, the next generation should learn and know. But not by biased movies (generally-speaking), rather by reading and reading and reading.

You know reading materials can be biased too.

Bluesman
21 Mar 07,, 14:32
12 Oclock High. Yes I loved the start when the adjutant rode to the weed infested strip on his bicycle and remembered.

Absolutely. What a great way to start and end the movie. The nostalgia he felt as an old man, even for a terrible period in his life, is so poignant, it hurts the heart to feel it with him. Leaving that artifact - the masked raider ceramic mug, that meant there was a mission tomorrow, if it faced into the room, instead of the wall - facing the viewer, is so symbolic of what they - those unbelievably brave young men - gave us: another tomorrow, another mission.

In my mind, that mug is still there, at the old bomber base. Because we're still HERE, in charge of what was bequeathed to us by them. And it's facing us, because it's OUR mission tomorrow.

saambaarblast
21 Mar 07,, 14:45
Few would disagree when I say it is the best ever Canmoore. It tops my list too.

Hmmm Saam, you pulled the rug out from under us with Lawrence of Arabia.
How could I forget it? Absolutely marvelous. Brilliant. Unforgetable.

Landmark performances by the cast members(Peter O'Toole, Alec Guiness, Omar Sheriff) . Excellent directing(David Lean). Spectacular photography(Freddie Young). Standout score(Maurice Jarre). One can't go wrong with this choice.

101st Airborne
21 Mar 07,, 15:33
Great post Bluesman. I couldn't have put it better.

glyn
21 Mar 07,, 17:58
I couldn't believe it when Hollywood announced it was going to make a film called @Memphis Belle'. What were these cretins thinking of ?(OK, I know the answer, MONEY!) The original shot by William Wyler used actual footage and real people, not actors. It is one of my favourite WW2 colour films. The other is 'Night Bomber' showing the RAFs contribution to pounding the Reich. The two films complement each other admirably.

Stan187
21 Mar 07,, 21:48

No, it is not. A mini-series is not a movie made for TV, it is a mini-series. I don't know how much more clear that has to be to become crystal.

101st Airborne
22 Mar 07,, 00:53
Not sure what point you are making about 'Memphis Belle' Glyn.

glyn
22 Mar 07,, 02:02
Not sure what point you are making about 'Memphis Belle' Glyn.

William Wilder made the documentary film called 'Memphis Belle' in England during WW2, which recorded the first crew to achieve 25 bombing missions. The film is superb. It stands on its own merits. There was no need to make a modern 'movie' when the original is still in existance. One is real, and everything you see in it is genuine. I have my own copy.The other is not, and I wouldn't waste my time by watching it.

101st Airborne
22 Mar 07,, 02:14
I guess I could see why you are cynical about Hollwood's version.
Personally I loved it and have watched it many times for just pure entertainment.

xerxes
23 Mar 07,, 22:48
You know reading materials can be biased too.

Yes, but someone who is intellect enough to open a book, has much higher knowledge the one that watches the movie like Preal Harbour, and gets over-emotional by seeing the Flag teared into pieces. Ofcourse, the more you read on the same subject (different books), the more normalized your view becomes. The more you read of the same subject, the higher is the height of the hill where you are standing and judging past events, becomes.

Infact, as matter of opinion the movie Preal Harbour, aside from the nice CG work, was the kind of movie where teenagers take their gf to get a hand***. I hated that movie. They guy who made did a good job with popcorn flicks such as Bad Boys. .. i think he should keep his work in that arena.

gunnut
23 Mar 07,, 23:45
I have never watched Pearl Harbor. It just didn't interest me enough to weave a romantic angle into a serious war movie. I didn't watch Titanic for the same reason. I don't care for the romantic angle. If I want to watch a romance, let it be a romance.

Michael Bay is the guy you're thinking of. He did such famous movies (and I'm being sarcastic here) as Armageddon, Bad Boyz and Bad Boyz II, The Rock, and The Island. All were at best average in my book. Just a lot of noise and shaky camara work. I'm skeptical about him doing Transformers. I hope he doesn't ruin a classic cartoon.

Shamus
14 Apr 07,, 17:01
I voted for Zulu but I enjoyed "We were soldiers once and young"very much also.I appreciated how it showed the war through the eyes of both sides' soldiers families and politics aside,both sides in a war are human.

Ray
14 Apr 07,, 17:46
The Longest Day!

I also loved Patton, Battle of the River Plate and Tora Tora Tora!

Oh yes, also Bridge on the River Kwai!

S2
14 Apr 07,, 21:49
"Hamburger Hill" seemed as realistic a portrayal of combat between our best and their best as I've seen.

"We Were Soldiers Once... "paled when they charged the hill at the end. Pure Hollywood filmed in California by it's looks. Had the dry scrub savannah look of the Ia Drang but none of those groovy anthills. Too many big hills also. The Chu Pong massif stands alone.

Always loved "The D.I" with Jack Webb and "Retreat, Hell!"

"Zulu" remains epic, though best watched with it's modern twin, "Zulu Dawn", starring Peter O'Toole. Hard not to love "The Longest Day".

For a quirk, enjoy "Taras Bulba" w/ Yul Brynner and Tony Curtis, about Ukrainian cossacks sacking the Polish city of Kiev (Polish at the time anyway). Great stuff. Plague, Polish catholic princess falls for ukrainian orthodox peasant, clan betrayal.

"Major Dundee"-Sam Peckinpah at his slow motion best starring Charleton Heston...well, next to "The Wild Ones".

An interesting depiction of Stalingrad is the German 1993 movie "Stalingrad". Interesting perspective of the desperation felt by the individual landser. Little corny at the end. Slight inaccuracies, but at least as good as "Enemy At the Gates".

glyn
14 Apr 07,, 22:20
A powerful film about a military establishment in wartime, but not a war film per se, is 'The Hill'. It is a well observed story about life in a British MPE (military prison establishment) in the middle east during WW2. The acting is of the highest calibre, and the film feels totally realistic. Harry Andrew played the role of Establishment RSM to perfection, and he was ably supported by the rest of the cast. 1RTR members will immediately spot the beret badge worn by Sean Connery! If you have never seen this film, do yourself a favour and rent a copy.

Ironduke
15 Apr 07,, 01:54
I really liked Zulu, though I've been by a Zulu I work with that it is very inaccurate.

Southie
19 Apr 07,, 01:00
Saving Private Ryan is definitely one of the best war movies. I also liked The Wild Geese with Richard Burton and Richard Harris.

glyn
19 Apr 07,, 11:12
I really liked Zulu, though I've been by a Zulu I work with that it is very inaccurate.

In the film Private Hook was portrayed as a 'bad-assed' soldier, but in real life he unfailingly exhibited exemplary behaviour.

soutie
19 Apr 07,, 12:47
there are alot of inconsistancies in the movie Zulu ,a very good movie though,David Rattary who was reciently murdered in south africa had a lodge at ishandwana and he did battlefield tours The mission at rorkes drift was there and amoungst Zulu folk lore they say the men responsible for the defence of rorkes drift where the men with white marks on there arms,it is written that the 2 officers concerned where left behind at rorkes drift because of incompetence ,qouted as nice chaps but do not have a clue about soldiering.Where as in the movie the hero,s of rorkes drift where the 2 leutenants,as i say its still one of my favourite movies though,that and the TV series shaka.

execrable
19 Apr 07,, 18:15
About 3 months ago, I sat next to a gray haired but very affable gentleman on the train down from Edinburgh. He talked about working in the movie "Zulu" and about his life in movies and outside of movies. His name is Tom Gerrard, he played a lance corporal.

Yes it's not an accurate film, and as the offspring of a Zulu descendant mother and a British father my loyalties were always divided - but now I have more reason to watch and enjoy the movie.

glyn
19 Apr 07,, 20:19
[QUOTE=execrable;367015]About 3 months ago, I sat next to a gray haired but very affable gentleman

I hope this did not come as a great shock to you! Oldies (myself included) can be affable as well as anyone else!

Yes it's not an accurate film,

I wonder if anyone has ever made an accurate military film? I know someone just before WW2 made an accurate 'western' where actors were correctly dressed for the times. The 'sod-busters' had sacking for windows and their simple houses had outdoor mud ovens. Although it should have deserved better the film went down like a lead balloon. It seems the paying public wish to keep their illusions intact, and so the studios churn out what their public wants. No wonder Hollywood, Bollywood, Elstree and the like are called 'dream factories'.:)

xerxes
20 Apr 07,, 21:11
Iron Eagle III

and

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Iron Eagle IV :biggrin:

joey
20 Apr 07,, 22:03
The Pianist....Haqiqat....longest day..etc etc...

execrable
23 Apr 07,, 11:55
About 3 months ago, I sat next to a gray haired but very affable gentleman

I hope this did not come as a great shock to you! Oldies (myself included) can be affable as well as anyone else!

I'm sorry Glyn I didn't say what I wanted to say in the right way - no offense intended!

I wonder if anyone has ever made an accurate military film?

------snip----- It seems the paying public wish to keep their illusions intact, and so the studios churn out what their public wants.

Hate to disagree with you, however I feel the film going public isn't always consulted or thought about when it comes to making good movies. The current trend is to spend more and more money on special effects when all people like myself want when we go to the movies is a great script acted well and directed strongly.

The other "hollywood" problem is that the marketing men and women tend to spend dollars on ideas that have already proved successful - innaccuracy has proved popular (and lazy) so it will continue. It takes real effort and research to "do" accuracy as I'm finding in my personal project (I'm working on a historical military graphic novel and getting as much accuracy in as I can - but it's making the project take longer than I thought!)

glyn
23 Apr 07,, 15:20
I'm sorry Glyn I didn't say what I wanted to say in the right way - no offense intended!

Nor any taken:)

Hate to disagree with you, however I feel the film going public isn't always consulted

I didn't know they ever were:confused:

or thought about when it comes to making good movies. The current trend is to spend more and more money on special effects when all people like myself want when we go to the movies is a great script acted well and directed strongly.

I'm sure you are right. All I hope for is a good storyline, reasonable lighting, a clear soundtrack, thespians who know their trade and the right director for the project.
What I usually get is a confused storyline, which is gloomy (but the little darlings call it 'atmospheric'!) muddy soundtrack, posturing 'actors' and a director who is undergoing 'personal problems'!

The other "hollywood" problem is that the marketing men and women tend to spend dollars on ideas that have already proved successful - innaccuracy has proved popular (and lazy) so it will continue. It takes real effort and research to "do" accuracy as I'm finding in my personal project (I'm working on a historical military graphic novel and getting as much accuracy in as I can - but it's making the project take longer than I thought!)

That I believe!

execrable
23 Apr 07,, 17:26
the film going public isn't always consulted
I didn't know they ever were

It does happen but it is quite rare.

More often you have private screenings with a selected audience after the movie and changes are made enforced upon the director but sometimes the screenplay is pre-screened (a "Leica" type reel comprising rough story boards and visuals and possibly some sound) for audience feedback. Leica reels are more common to animation movies but the technique is quite old.

A film like 300 would have been easy to do (if the directors wished) as the images had already been done in graphic comic format.

leib10
23 Apr 07,, 21:32
How on earth could you leave Das Boot out and put Pearl Harbor in there! :eek:

Das Boot, without a doubt.

Tarek Morgen
26 May 07,, 10:24
I think "the boat" is "Das Boot"...and Pearl Habor really doesnt deserve to be on such a list...

ChrisF202
17 Jun 07,, 03:46
Zulu followed very closely by Where Eagles Dare and Saving Private Ryan, Letters from Iwo Jima is also pretty close to the top of the list as well.

HoratioNelson
17 Jun 07,, 05:58
For realism, i'd have the say Band of Brothers

For sheer, gory, war-atmosphere i'd go with Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down.

My personal favourite, however, is the 1960s classic Zulu.

tankie
17 Jun 07,, 15:30
Although I am pretty sure this has been done before I voted Zulu and would like to mention a very close second ......'Das Boot".........and third ...."Cross of Iron"

Hey Wayne , you missed out B/Sqd on the piss in charlies bar mindenerstrasse Herford W/G, best lifelike war scenes ever :biggrin:

Seriousy though it has to be for me Private Ryan . ;)

aktarian
18 Jun 07,, 10:05
Das Boot
A Bridge Too far
Platoon
Lost Battalion
9ya Rota (9th company)

VarSity
18 Jun 07,, 13:24
Im a big fan of "the big red One" however Saving Ryan's Privates has to be a close second

texasjohn
18 Jun 07,, 16:00
Black Hawk down, is kinda personal to me. My good friend John was one of them. He made it back safely, thank God.

He also did his time playing in the sandbox, and is now a cop in Garland, TX.

FibrillatorD
19 Jun 07,, 05:05
Zulu followed very closely by Where Eagles Dare and Saving Private Ryan, Letters from Iwo Jima is also pretty close to the top of the list as well.

I second Where Eagles Dare. Way intense. And pleasing cinematography.

I make a point of catching A Dirty Dozen whenever its shown on PBS around November.

FibrillatorD
19 Jun 07,, 05:21
More than just a war movie but I suspect the fact Eastwood was in it (at the same time as his Dirty Harry movies) means people won't take it seriously as a war movie.

Clint was in a few war flicks. Kelly's Heroes and Firefox off the top of my head, in addition to Where Eagles Dare

texasjohn
19 Jun 07,, 22:03
Clint was in a few war flicks. Kelly's Heroes and Firefox off the top of my head, in addition to Where Eagles Dare

What was that 90s flick? Heartbreak pass??? with Clint?

aktarian
20 Jun 07,, 09:40
What was that 90s flick? Heartbreak pass??? with Clint?

Heartbreak Ridge (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091187/). Not bad flick

RedArmySurplus
21 Jun 07,, 07:29
aktarian, can you give me some more info on 9ya Rota? i was going to get it a while ago but didnt.....

aktarian
21 Jun 07,, 12:35
aktarian, can you give me some more info on 9ya Rota? i was going to get it a while ago but didnt.....

very similar to Full Metal Jacket only with Soviet airborne and Afghanistan instead of US Marines and Vietnam. The attacks on convoys and attacks on departing aircraft are well and realistically done. Though the final battle, while it did take place, is not accurately shown.

Very good movie, highly recommended.

SteeljawScribe
20 Aug 07,, 19:03
Bridges at Toko-ri.

glyn
20 Aug 07,, 19:08
Bridges at Toko-ri.

If they could tweak the film to replace the awful models with modern computer generated effects, and considerably reduce (magically?) Bill Holdens age, well then it would be much improved.:)

toemag
20 Aug 07,, 20:06
I have seen so many war film's that the choice is a hard one.

Band of brother's has to be the best serialized film ever, seeing the original Easy Co. guy's telling it in their way, really brought it home to me. The hardships suffered by these men, and those who didn't make it, deserve our never ending respect.

After seeing a good war film, try going to a Military Cemetery, look at all of those headstone's, take a good look at the name's and ages of a few of the fallen, then go to the entrance and check the list of all of the fallen who are in the Cemetery.

Then have a good hard think about it all.

A few of you will know what I'm getting at.

Tony

kompikos
05 Oct 07,, 21:54
Apocalypse Now

entropy
06 Oct 07,, 18:38
Apocalypse Now

Excellent movie, no doubt, but it's more a surreal, psychological thing than a war film per se.

kompikos
06 Oct 07,, 20:42
Excellent movie, no doubt, but it's more a surreal, psychological thing than a war film per se.

You are right but I still love that movie for the war scenes as well, very sureal! I also liked very much "We were sholdiers" with Mel Gibson

hobogeo
30 Oct 07,, 15:23
We were Soilders .......Hands down then id have to add Black Hawk Down next.

texacali
30 Oct 07,, 18:48
Bridges at Toko-Ri came to mind first. The War Lover. Catch-22 for its massed takeoff scenes of B-25s. The Hill. The Young Lions. D-Day, June 6 1944. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo. The Caine Mutiny. King Rat. I haven't seen the latest (10-20 year old) movies. Some, including Pork Chop Hill (Korea), Mr. Roberts, Audie Murphy's To Hell and Back , which I have seen only once or twice were able to give a small understanding of what it was like. Hollywood wants to give us blood and gore to boost their bottom line, if that is what it takes for us to appreciate the sacrifice our men made, so be it. All of these stories must be told.

furkensturker
07 Nov 07,, 13:57
Gallipoli, came out in the early eighties, the story of a group of young Aussies that "Joined up for an adventure".
Gallipoli (1981 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallipoli_%281981_film%29)

It was an adventure alright, Churchill made sure of that, the poms landed the Aussies on the wrong beach that is now called ANZAC (Australia and New Zealand Army Courp) cove. 7500 Aussies were killed and 20,000 were injured.
and 2500 Kiwis were also killed
The English, where possible, would send troops from countries that were under their control, yep you guessed it, that was us, first so as not to loose their own troops. "(better to loose a few thousand orrstralians than our boys, hey what, old chap)"

We still haven't forgiven the Poms for that, I think that's why we love to belt the Poms in Cricket so much, and for you poor unfortunate people who have never seen cricket, it leaves Baseball for dead, and cricket world series involves the whole world.

I think the rational back then was to use us to soften them up, they did it in the Boer war too. It was only when we went to the islands that Gen Blamey told the Poms and the US that "we were running our own show here". "We've had enough of our men being used as cannon fodder".

I did also like Mc Hales Navy, not the movie, but the series

glyn
07 Nov 07,, 14:10
[QUOTE=furkensturker;424141]Gallipoli, came out in the early eighties, the story of a group of young Aussies that "Joined up for an adventure".
Gallipoli (1981 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallipoli_%281981_film%29)

It was an adventure alright, Churchill made sure of that, the poms landed the Aussies on the wrong beach that is now called ANZAC (Australia and New Zealand Army Courp) cove. 7500 Aussies were killed and 20,000 were injured.
The English, where possible, would send troops from countries that were under their control, yep you guessed it, that was us, first so as not to loose their own troops. "(better to loose a few thousand orrstralians than our boys, hey what, old chap)"

Obviously there were no British casualties at all, were there? Oh, hang on a minute - I seem to remember a certain Tommy Atkins scratching his hand on some barbed wire.

I think the rational back then was to use us to soften them up, they did it in the Boer war too.

I can only gasp in admiration at your comprehensive understanding of military history. Was it a good comic book, do you reckon?

furkensturker
07 Nov 07,, 14:23
Obviously there were no British casualties at all, were there? Oh, hang on a minute - I seem to remember a certain Tommy Atkins scratching his hand on some barbed wire.

I can only gasp in admiration at your comprehensive understanding of military history. Was it a good comic book, do you reckon?[/QUOTE]

Did you notice I was referring to ANZAC Coce?:)

As far as us Aussies are concerned, when we talk of Gallipoli, we're referring to Anzac Cove.

And as for Tommy Atkins, he should have kept away from it and he wouldn't have got hurt:)

Bluesman
08 Nov 07,, 17:28
[QUOTE=furkensturker;424141]Gallipoli, came out in the early eighties, the story of a group of young Aussies that "Joined up for an adventure".

I think the rational back then was to use us to soften them up, they did it in the Boer war too.

I can only gasp in admiration at your comprehensive understanding of military history. Was it a good comic book, do you reckon?

Spilled a bit of acid on the page there, glyn:))

HistoricalDavid
08 Nov 07,, 17:35
Stuart Slade on Pearl Harbor:

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material!"

glyn
08 Nov 07,, 18:07
[QUOTE=glyn;424145]

Spilled a bit of acid on the page there, glyn:))

Oh, as if Keith. You are a wag! In fact I am rather fond of Freddy Furkensturker (in a rather lop-sided sort of way). He is Australian, you know, so all due allowances have to be made:))

Parihaka
08 Nov 07,, 21:47
Gallipoli was a buggers muddle but then what in WWI wasn't. The ANZAC's weren't singled out for special treatment, everyone got more than their fair share of chances to die.
Infantry charges against machine guns in entrenched positions, need I say more.

(mind you, her indoors great uncle was Birdwood, so you could say I am biased)

wajahat
08 Nov 07,, 22:10
i like the movie twist of fate.

The screenplay is based on the book "Pursuit" by Robert L. Fish, in which the physical descriptions of both von Schraeder and Daniel Grossman show how perfectly Greenwood captured them:

watch it if u wish. u will not be dissapointed by BEN CROSS

http://www.gazillionmovies.com/Actor/B/Be/Pictures/ben-cross.jpg

The Chap
08 Nov 07,, 22:49
I'm sure we did this a few years ago. Nomatter.

Two that have not been mentioned will follow. I hope this may prove of interest to Glyn as they are both as uncompromising as Das Boot, Apoc. Now; as brutal as Stalingrad and Cross of Iron with the studied cynicism of all the above.

The Beast.
Soviet tank crew in Afganistan.:(

Permission to kill.
A cold war none the less ... Smileys People never had it so good:redface:

Ashamed to see no mention of Dambusters or Battle of Britain or In Which we Serve etc ...

How about M*A*S*H for the more lefty mob? A mention for The Dear Hunter?

Kagemushe? Hotel Rwanda? March or Die. I'll stop after this:

Saving Private Ryan has a bunch of guys with a top notch sniper run up a hill in broad daylight -frontally, mind - to assault an entrenched position. AND at the end they don't simply blow the bloody bridge. I have many Yank friends. Some from L.A. . None are that f***ing stupid. Blondes included.:confused:

glyn
08 Nov 07,, 23:46
[QUOTE=The Chap;424606]I I hope this may prove of interest to Glyn as they are both as uncompromising as Das Boot, Apoc. Now; as brutal as Stalingrad and Cross of Iron with the studied cynicism of all the above.

Can you mean me?:confused: Moi?:confused: I am the Wimp of the West these days! 'Onest, guv!:))

furkensturker
09 Nov 07,, 02:19
[QUOTE=furkensturker;424149]Obviously there were no British casualties at all, were there? Oh, hang on a minute - I seem to remember a certain Tommy Atkins scratching his hand on some barbed wire.

So now you're wanting to be a Pom?:confused: Last week there was no way you were going to be called a Pom, By the way, how was the trip to Denial? :biggrin: :biggrin: I hear the weather was good, Please share the pics.:))

Freddie

glyn
09 Nov 07,, 14:18
[QUOTE=furkensturker;424657]

So now you're wanting to be a Pom?:confused: Last week there was no way you were going to be called a Pom,

The truest thing you have ever written.

By the way, how was the trip to Denial?

I only had the briefest of visits, just to see the place. The people there know you well, and wished to be remembered to you.

:biggrin: :biggrin: I hear the weather was good, Please share the pics.:))

You're the one living in Australia. You take the bloody things!:))

furkensturker
09 Nov 07,, 15:06
You're the one living in Australia. You take the bloody things!:)) [/QUOTE]

When they come back from the Chemist, I'll put the one with you and Tankie trying to Pick up that trani by the pool up on the net for all to see. :biggrin:

At least you realised before it was too late, poor Tankie, looked a mess next morning.:)) :eek:

ned kelly
29 Feb 08,, 06:45
not sure if anyone has mentioned "Gallipolli" with a young Mel Gibson. It really shows the futility of war and highlights how those dastardly English sent all those poor aussies to their deaths whilst they sat and drank tea on their beach.

NB I am not at all serious here except for the futility part highlighted in the movie. And we all know the English, French and Indian troops lost many more in that failed landing. Its a very Australian jingoistic look at that conflict but is still a good movie despite some serious errors in presentation

Top 5 for me
Apocalypse Now Redux
Das Boot
Saving Private Ryan
Joyeux Noel
M.A.S.H

dastardly english!

glyn
29 Feb 08,, 09:54
[QUOTE=ned kelly;464764]

dastardly english

Perfidious Albion!:redface:

furkensturker
29 Feb 08,, 12:55
not sure if anyone has mentioned "Gallipolli" with a young Mel Gibson. It really shows the futility of war and highlights how those dastardly English sent all those poor aussies to their deaths whilst they sat and drank tea on their beach.

NB I am not at all serious here except for the futility part highlighted in the movie. And we all know the English, French and Indian troops lost many more in that failed landing. Its a very Australian jingoistic look at that conflict but is still a good movie despite some serious errors in presentation

Top 5 for me
Apocalypse Now Redux
Das Boot
Saving Private Ryan
Joyeux Noel
M.A.S.H

dastardly english!

Ah yes, I remember the movie Gallipolli, wasn't that the story of a stuff up by those pomy bastards when they landed the ANZACS on the wrong beach? That's right, they even made the ANZACS do bayonet charges against machine gun pits. We all know that a bayonet will always win against a machine gun. Even Tommy Atkins would agree, don't you think Glyn?:)

But then again, us Australians were used as cannon fodder for years until Blamey told the Poms and the yanks that we were sick of being the forward scout for their wars.:mad:

Churchill was the person who sent us into Gallipolli. The Poms have a lot to answer for here. :mad: Rabbits, Foxes, blackberrys and lawn bowls

And they wonder why we love to flog them in cricket.:mad:

Hurumph, Hurumph.

Freddie

glyn
29 Feb 08,, 21:31

Ah yes, I remember the movie Gallipolli, wasn't that the story of a stuff up by those pomy bastards when they landed the ANZACS on the wrong beach? That's right, they even made the ANZACS do bayonet charges against machine gun pits. We all know that a bayonet will always win against a machine gun. Even Tommy Atkins would agree, don't you think Glyn?:)

But then again, us Australians were used as cannon fodder for years until Blamey told the Poms and the yanks that we were sick of being the forward scout for their wars.:mad:

Churchill was the person who sent us into Gallipolli. The Poms have a lot to answer for here. :mad: Rabbits, Foxes, blackberrys and lawn bowls

And they wonder why we love to flog them in cricket.:mad:

Freddie baby! I think you need to clean up those chips on your sloping shoulders.:) With all that Kookaburra dropping and Koala crap you have become unbalanced/unstable/unguided. I worry for you.

Hurumph, Hurumph.

Freddie

Zulkarneyn
29 Feb 08,, 22:00
You didnt mention Brotherhood of war which is my favourit, im strongly suggesting it. It is about the Korean war:biggrin:

Stitch
29 Feb 08,, 22:10
I voted "other" - "Apocalypse Now"; I've seen both the original and redux. IMHO, the original is better; the "added" scenes in redux seem rather extraneous (except for the scene where Willard stole Colonel Kilgore's surfboard; that was hilarious!).

Second place goes to "Blackhawk Down", if for no other reason than they portray Delta in a favorable light, especially towards the end.

wally83
02 Mar 08,, 20:24
Mine, in no particular order:

1. Apocalypse Now
2. Full Metal Jacket
3. Saving Private Ryan
4. Stalag 17
5. The Bridge on the River Kwai
6. The Great Escape
7. The Longest Day
8. The Big Red One
9. Kelly's Heroes
10. Schindler's List

Elbmek
03 Mar 08,, 22:36
Why are they all "american" ? I voted other - and my choice is a blend of british war movies - they tend to be more realistic and depend on a story not a directors "cut".

tankie
04 Mar 08,, 14:22
Why are they all "american" ? I voted other - and my choice is a blend of british war movies - they tend to be more realistic and depend on a story not a directors "cut".

Yea ,, and they tend to be low budget garbage as well . :mad:

Elbmek
04 Mar 08,, 14:34
Yea ,, and they tend to be low budget garbage as well . :mad:So, what your saying is that mega bucks make a mega movie? Not necessarily.

tankie
04 Mar 08,, 14:42
So, what your saying is that mega bucks make a mega movie? Not necessarily.

No im not saying that Mike , its just that the british movies leave a lot to the imagination, i saw one where the Germans ( the bad guys ) all rolled up in their vehicles to capture the british plum in mouth speaking escaped soldiers , the vehicles you would have thought would be half tracks , but ohhhh no , they were all ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SARACENS,,,,,,,,,, :eek: complete with all the wheels and rolls royce engines and the reme following behind to fix em .... pass the remote . ;)

Elbmek
04 Mar 08,, 17:17
No im not saying that Mike , its just that the british movies leave a lot to the imagination, i saw one where the Germans ( the bad guys ) all rolled up in their vehicles to capture the british plum in mouth speaking escaped soldiers , the vehicles you would have thought would be half tracks , but ohhhh no , they were all ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SARACENS,,,,,,,,,, :eek: complete with all the wheels and rolls royce engines and the reme following behind to fix em .... pass the remote . ;)Well, everything in those halcyon days of the 50s Eltree Film Industry was made to measure, we were post war skint you know, spending too much money doing Germany up!!

Purple Bladder
04 Mar 08,, 19:07

Don't they teach history in Australia any more? When I was there about 25 years ago, I went to the Australian War Museum in Canberra. The figures shown there told the story. ANZACs lost about 8,000 dead while the British lost about 20,000. I suppose the facts spoil a good bit of Aussie wingeing? Great film but not too hot on the facts. Gallipolli was Churchill's idea but it was messed up by the planning. Just think what D-Day would have been like if the Allies anchored in the Channel for days before and then landed in broad daylight.

glyn
04 Mar 08,, 19:25
Don't they teach history in Australia any more? When I was there about 25 years ago, I went to the Australian War Museum in Canberra. The figures shown there told the story. ANZACs lost about 8,000 dead while the British lost about 20,000. I suppose the facts spoil a good bit of Aussie wingeing? Great film but not too hot on the facts. Gallipolli was Churchill's idea but it was messed up by the planning. Just think what D-Day would have been like if the Allies anchored in the Channel for days before and then landed in broad daylight.

Don't confuse them with facts! They have been brain-washed from birth about Gallipoli and won't recognise the truth, no matter how often it's repeated.

malory
19 Mar 08,, 00:50
Hey folks, lots of good titles here. But as war movies (particularly WW2) are a great passion of mine, I'd like to make a few suggestions. ;)

If you like films about WW2 aviation, the two best -- hands down -- are Thunderbolt (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038171/) and Target for Tonight (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121791/). Both are without paid actors and 100% of the footage is real.

Thunderbolt is particularly breathtaking because it not only covers an obscure AO but is shot in original color. I really can't recommend this film enough. It's the best WW2 gun-camera footage I have ever seen. T for T speaks for itself.

Battle of Britain is a classic, despite its campy cast. But for something more modern, try the similarly themed Dark Blue World (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244479/), a Czech movie with excellent air combat scenes.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Finnish movie Talvisota (you can rent it in the USA under its English title The Winter War (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/).) It's a grueling and bloody movie about a conflict Hollywood will probably never touch.

Burnt by the Sun (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111579/) isn't a war movie strictly speaking, but it's an interesting glimpse into the Russian revolution.

There's also Europa Europa (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099776/), Empire of the Sun (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092965/), Sink the Bismarck (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054310/), A Midnight Clear (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102443/)

If you're interested in Rwanda, the best one I've seen is Shooting Dogs (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420901/), although it's tough to find it at most movie stores.

But Come and See (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/) might get my vote as the best war movie of all time. Saving Private Ryan is an afternoon popcorn-muncher compared to this one (IMO).

Anyway, enough from me for now ... Cheers fellas.

Edit: No one mentioned STALINGRAD (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/) !!! This flick easily dethrones the holy Saving Private Ryan/Apocalypse Now/Black Hawk Down trinity.

S2
20 Mar 08,, 06:55
"An interesting depiction of Stalingrad is the German 1993 movie "Stalingrad".

My comment from page four of this thread.;)

Burnt By The Sun was a fascinating film. Almost psychedelic.

Knaur Amarsh
20 Mar 08,, 10:10
Fave movie,war or otherwise is Savior
Das Boot was pretty good too

The others may be good,but they are too much like...."Havent I seen this before somewhere?"

Bigfella
20 Mar 08,, 10:17
Hey folks, lots of good titles here. But as war movies (particularly WW2) are a great passion of mine, I'd like to make a few suggestions. ;)

If you like films about WW2 aviation, the two best -- hands down -- are Thunderbolt (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038171/) and Target for Tonight (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121791/). Both are without paid actors and 100% of the footage is real.

Thunderbolt is particularly breathtaking because it not only covers an obscure AO but is shot in original color. I really can't recommend this film enough. It's the best WW2 gun-camera footage I have ever seen. T for T speaks for itself.

Battle of Britain is a classic, despite its campy cast. But for something more modern, try the similarly themed Dark Blue World (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244479/), a Czech movie with excellent air combat scenes.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Finnish movie Talvisota (you can rent it in the USA under its English title The Winter War (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/).) It's a grueling and bloody movie about a conflict Hollywood will probably never touch.

Burnt by the Sun (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111579/) isn't a war movie strictly speaking, but it's an interesting glimpse into the Russian revolution.

There's also Europa Europa (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099776/), Empire of the Sun (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092965/), Sink the Bismarck (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054310/), A Midnight Clear (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102443/)

If you're interested in Rwanda, the best one I've seen is Shooting Dogs (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420901/), although it's tough to find it at most movie stores.

But Come and See (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/) might get my vote as the best war movie of all time. Saving Private Ryan is an afternoon popcorn-muncher compared to this one (IMO).

Anyway, enough from me for now ... Cheers fellas.

Edit: No one mentioned STALINGRAD (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/) !!! This flick easily dethrones the holy Saving Private Ryan/Apocalypse Now/Black Hawk Down trinity.

Malory,

Great list. Especially pleased to see an Elem Klimov film at the top of the list. Though I haven't seen it, Agonia is one of the great films of its era. I just wish he had made more movies. I'll have to track down that Finnish film. Have some friends from there. A woefully under-reported war.

Also pleased to see Burnt by the Sun on your list. A great example of how a small, personal drama can sometimes illustrate history in a way that big, sweeping dramas sometimes cannot. I openly wept at the end when I realised that the story was not only true, but what the fate of the mother & little girl would be.

Along similar lines, have you seen this one from your native land ?--Derek de Lint filmography--THE ASSAULT--DE AANSLAG-- (http://www.derekdelint.com/assault.html)
Great storytelling and a brilliant examination of the terrible decisions people are forced to make in time of war.

BD1
20 Mar 08,, 10:35
Oh , the īWinter Warī deserves definately a spot on the list !

malory
20 Mar 08,, 21:00
Along similar lines, have you seen this one from your native land ?--Derek de Lint filmography--THE ASSAULT--DE AANSLAG-- (http://www.derekdelint.com/assault.html)
Great storytelling and a brilliant examination of the terrible decisions people are forced to make in time of war.

Hmm, no, I haven't. It looks interesting though and I'm headed to the video store tonight so I'll see if they have it. Thanks for the tip!

ofelas
22 Mar 08,, 22:18
The Beast.
The Patriot.

Stan187
22 Mar 08,, 23:14
The Beast.

Glad you've seen it, I love that movie!

ofelas
23 Mar 08,, 00:33
Glad you've seen it, I love that movie!
Roger that! I tend to side with righteous underdogs with the courage of their convictions, hence both my picks.

Stan187
23 Mar 08,, 01:16
I was just surprised cuz The Beast is not well known

Johnny W
06 May 08,, 21:48
My personal favorites in no particular order are

Gettysburg
Saving Private Ryan
Tora Tora Tora

I have also recently become a fan of Letters from Iwo Jima (always interesting to see things from the other side)

And although these are a little cheesy, I like Midway and In Harms Way as well.

BBwarrior
13 May 08,, 02:32
In Harms Way - cheesy but the Duke is cool. And how bout when Kirk Douglas slaps that mamby-pamby Lt not once, but twice! I lost my respect for him after he assaulted Dawn though.

cool foreign film: Downfall - fantastic portrayal of Hitler and his madness in the bunker as Berlin crumbles around him.
The film is in German, with English subtitles. You can really get a sense of Hitler's insanity listening to him rant in German. Quite powerful.

AAAO
14 May 08,, 09:22
The Battle of Algiers by Pontecorvo.

So good, so realistic that it was used, in its entirety for instructional purposes in the JFK Special Warfare Center at Ft. Bragg and the Command and General Staff College at Ft. Leavenworth. The second time I saw it it was pitched to a short-course at Leavenworth and introduced by a French LTC who had not only fought in Algeria, but had been jailed for rebelling against De Gaulle (maybe he was in the 1st REP) and then rehabbed back into the French Army. Coincidentally, I just found this film on enhanced DVD last Saturday and picked it up. I strongly recommend it.

The Battle of Algiers (film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_Algiers_(film))

fluffs
04 Oct 08,, 21:22
'Come And See'. It's Russian, it's one-sided but it's brutally realistic and accurate. A masterpiece. If you've not seen this one, then do so ASAP. You'll not regret it!

sappersgt
05 Oct 08,, 17:40
'Come And See'. It's Russian, it's one-sided but it's brutally realistic and accurate. A masterpiece. If you've not seen this one, then do so ASAP. You'll not regret it!

Since it was mentioned a few times on this forum I watched it. It was... interesting.

bengalraider
04 Nov 08,, 16:06
JP dutta's "BORDER" based on the battle of Longewala is probably the best Indian war film:biggrin:

Elbmek
04 Nov 08,, 16:19
For every good one, there is 10 bad ones.

Best tongue in cheek: Kelly's Heroes
Best factual: Tora Tora Tora, Battle for Midway
Best Visually: Saving Private Ryan

But then again, I will probably think of three others tomorrow ;)

Shamus
04 Nov 08,, 16:31
Best tongue in cheek: Kelly's HeroesOne of my favorite lines-TSGT Oddball to Kelly.."We've got the fastest taanks in the European Theatre forwards or backwards.Ya see,we like to be able to get out of trouble as fast as we got into it..."or Moriarity..."Tigers?!We was ASSAULTED by them Tigers!!":biggrin:

Elbmek
04 Nov 08,, 16:53
Oddball, a 60s relic thrown back in time

"woof woof" thats my other dog impression!!

Albany Rifles
04 Nov 08,, 17:15
"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves." TSGT Oddball, Tank Commander

Shamus
04 Nov 08,, 17:25
"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves." TSGT Oddball, Tank CommanderI use that one on my son AR:biggrin:

dave lukins
04 Nov 08,, 17:46
I use that one on my son AR:biggrin:

I use a cattle prod:))

Shamus
04 Nov 08,, 17:55
I use a cattle prod:)):eek::biggrin:

devgupt
04 Nov 08,, 19:05
JP dutta's "BORDER" based on the battle of Longewala is probably the best Indian war film:biggrin:

By Indian standards Lakshya was also a good one

Albany Rifles
04 Nov 08,, 20:40
I use a cattle prod:))

You must be an Alaskan State Trooper....

osage18
11 Nov 08,, 09:01
They showed Saving Private Ryan on TNT all day today.

It's just hard to beat. The first 20 minutes are incredible.

Kernow
17 Nov 08,, 05:00
Gallipoli I saw as a teen and seen from an American standpoint with a great knowledge of history, the wasting of Australians by the Brits wasn't lost in meaning.

As far as the 'best'? Well, what is the intended message? To entertain, to convince that it is really like this and avoid as much as possible, that it is really like this and join up to kill the bas**rd, or what?

And from what point of view? From the 'English' side, from the English yet Soviet side (where they will lose in the end, anyhow), from a Third World side? Or what?

Also, a lot depends on how background the viewer has to a movie. While I saw Zeppelin as a child, long, long before I was an adult and in the Navy, it's angle, presentation on the various points of Intelligence stays with me to this day ............................ but would others see it that way?

I'll tell you one thing; I don't think I could present anywhere near a convincing performance for the sheer terror of a constructed "Man Overboard!" from a zeppelin.

If I thought about it for a while, I could come up with a great list, .... but I should be studying, so ......

Entertaining: Zeppelin (sure, weak at points, but insightful at others)

Counter English: The Beast (but it has been years since I've seen it, so memory may be faulty)

Counter Third World: The Terrorist (Dir: Santosh Sivan)

Now, to the original list: unfortunally, I've only seen Zulu (great), The Great Escape (over and over on tv, so okay), and The Boat (great).
("For six crucial minutes, Major Von Richter, the mission will be dependent on you and your expert knowledge of the local country side. We have gone to a great deal of trouble to acquire you; I know we won't be disappointed."--Major Tauntler, (wtte), "Zeppelin")

We are talking about films here, not the fact that the British were wasting Australian and Kiwi lives. It was a joint British and French Operation. The Brtish lost 21,255 soldiers with 52,230 wounded. So now back to the films.

ToDiscuss
18 Nov 08,, 20:28
i gotta go with Paths of Glory or The Big Red One.

Donnie
19 Nov 08,, 03:22
of the ones on here band of bothers was the best, but my favorite war movies, (well war time movies) not quite in this order:

10. Empire of the SUn
9. Casablanca
8. We Were Soldiers
7. The Caine Mutiny
6. Bridge on the River Kawi (spelling)
5. Boys of Company C (apparently not to many people have seen this, great movie)
4. Hamburger Hill
3. Full metal Jacket
2. Jakob the Liar
1. Schindler's List

ace16807
19 Nov 08,, 04:47
Relatively old news, but the new mini-series The Pacific will be coming out sometime next year. It's produced by HBO (i.e. Spielberg, Hanks Goetzman) based on the memoirs "With the Old Breed" and "Helmet for My Pillow". My expectations are pretty high, based off the quality of Band of Brothers. Hopefully they'll live up to that.

PanSonic
15 Jan 09,, 09:17
Band of Brothers most accurate of them all.
The Great Escape
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal jacket
Platoon
Patton (if you can call it a war movie) is also great.

Anybody seen Waltz with Bashir?

Gallowglass
30 Mar 09,, 23:29
My picks

1. Flyboys

Jiw27pXIXRA

2. Paths of Glory

0ff2x_9G6oI

3. Hells Angels

bmJ6wHFN5c0

4. The Lost Battalion

UXLJq2MsbrY&feature=related

5. The Big Parade

aSUnHcHfbTs

6. The Dawn Patrol

LaKqZkptIyI

7. Kingdom of Heaven

Wh-JGjIZYpI

ChrisF202
31 Mar 09,, 01:30
Can I also add The Sand Pebbles (1966) starring Steve McQueen about a US Navy gunboat, the USS San Pablo patrolling China's Yangtze River in the 1920s. There's a great battle scene towards the end when the San Pablo takes on a bunch of Chinese junks complete with a boarding party wielding cutlasses, M1911s, Springfield rifles and BARs.

The movie also deals with aspects of racism and colonialism/exploitation. There's no Rambo crap either; just everyday US Navy sailors doing their jobs to the best of their ability.

Canmoore
31 Mar 09,, 03:06
Das Boot is another great, I watched it with my grandfather many years ago when I was a kid. It really helped capture that cramped claustrophobic sence of Submarine warfare.

Blue
31 Mar 09,, 06:14
My top fave, The great raid. My second, A Farewell to Arms(1957) excellent movie.

Castellano
01 Apr 09,, 16:33
Good stuff, I have learned of movies I've never heard before...Here are a few titles which I think are very good,

"Soldaat van Oranje" (Soldier Of Orange) 1977

"The eye of the needle" 1981

...or outright masterpieces:

"Die BrŁcke" (The Bridge) 1959

"La Grande illusion" (The Grand Illusion) 1937

"Roma, citta aperta" (Rome, open city) 1945. I heard "Il generale della Rovere", also from Roberto Rosellini is also very good.

Blue
02 Apr 09,, 04:21
I just thought of a cool way to help show your movie! EDIT: OK, I just looked above. Must be where I got the clue!:redface::redface::redface:

Previews!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MB6XtHOBuGQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MB6XtHOBuGQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Blue
02 Apr 09,, 04:29
To correct my earlier post, I meant to say the 1932 version with Gary Cooper and Helen Hayes. Excellent movie.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2TvzFKn90M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J2TvzFKn90M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Blue
02 Apr 09,, 04:46
Though a work of fiction, I really liked this movie. Hard to explain why....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f-bralMVT_U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f-bralMVT_U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Marcurix
02 Apr 09,, 21:03
Zulu has always beenone of my altime favorite movies, theyre all good choices but Zulu had always been above the others.

nebula82
14 Apr 09,, 17:10
Why is Band of Brothers in the poll? It's not a movie.

Anyway it's just one of the most incredible series productions I've ever seen. It tops any war movie out there, by a mile. Everything about it, from its realism, to its depiction of war, to its story-telling, is just amazing. Itís one of those rare gems thatís produced once in a decade.

Now hereís a list of my favorite war movies in no particular order:
1. Schindlerís List
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. The Thin Red Line
4. Apocalypse Now
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. The Pianist

Probably a few that I've forgotten! :)

Schindlerís List is so powerful that itís hard to watch. Saving Private Ryan is an all-time classic that makes a strong impact. Some of the scenes and images from the first 30 minutes sticks with you for a very long time!

Thanks,
Nebula82.

nebula82
14 Apr 09,, 17:19
Das Boot is another great, I watched it with my grandfather many years ago when I was a kid. It really helped capture that cramped claustrophobic sence of Submarine warfare.

Oh yes!! I remember. It has been so long since I watched this movie but it was truly superb. The Directorís Cut version is a must-see.

Nebula82.

S2
05 Jun 09,, 10:00
Marvelous work by Kenneth Branaugh generally but, of course...the opus that drives men to tears-

OAvmLDkAgAM

Ratus Ratus
05 Jun 09,, 18:36
Before you throw me out for having weird tastes in movies...:))

A sort of list and no specific order, may not be everyoneís cuppa tea either.

All Quiet on the Western Front
Zulu
Das Boot
Lawrance of Arabia
The Colonel
Cross of Iron
Days Of Glory
Blessed By Fire
Beaufort
The Winter War
The Odd Angry Shot

Plus a few old old ones, just private likes more than anything else.
Forty Thousand Horsemen,
The Rats of Tobruk,
The Overlanders ( not a war movie as such)

Blue
12 Jul 09,, 00:11
Did anyone mention 1941 with John Belushi? I liked Kelly's Heroes too!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JdUCu-A7tgg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JdUCu-A7tgg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

crazzycat
16 Jul 09,, 16:21
Off couse Pearl Harbor!!!The coolest movie!!!

Albany Rifles
20 Jul 09,, 15:05

Nice sense of humor

Herodotus
27 Jul 09,, 09:40
Nice sense of humor

Agreed, don't know why this garbage is considered in this category.

Herodotus
27 Jul 09,, 09:54
Several others to consider: The Burmese Harp, Grave of the Fireflies (more anti-war are these two films, both Japanese), Ran, the Grand Illusion, and Wings. I suppose the criteria would have to be defined better; strictly about fighting a war, events that coincide with (a specific) war, or movies that involve the military to some degree but not always in a war. The list could be inexhaustible.

Ah 1,550 posts, nice round number to take a break on. :))

pChan
27 Jul 09,, 10:59
My favorite movie is the German movie "Stalingrad". Depicts the ferocity and hopelessness of the eastern front in WWII.

Blue
27 Jul 09,, 17:12

Nice sense of humor Just for the record I really was joking. :cool: I'll let copycat....er...crazzycat answer for himself!:rolleyes:

namvet46
27 Jul 09,, 23:21
the gallant hours. James Cagney as William Halsey during the battle of Guadalcanal. no action but a good movie about the pressures of command

Das Boot. the undersea hunter

the cruel sea. the hunter of the hunter

my best. Schindlers list

nebula82
01 Sep 09,, 11:20
Dr. Strangelove and Patton are two other movies I highly recommend!

Patton is a good movie about the man & WWII, but Dr. Strangelove is a cult classic. Itís hilarious, downright hilarious but dark as well. Kubrick takes a subject as serious as the Cold War and turns it into a comedy, but with a potent anti-war message. Donít rent it, buy it!

Nebula82.

tankie
01 Sep 09,, 11:47
Zulu has always beenone of my altime favorite movies, theyre all good choices but Zulu had always been above the others.

Michael Caine as a welshman was about as convincing as when he played Rob Roy ,, och aye the noo me ol kok sparra ;) , apart from him and the film based on fact , yea a good movie .:)

Blue
27 Nov 09,, 04:16
Michael Caine as a welshman was about as convincing as when he played Rob Roy ,, och aye the noo me ol kok sparra ;) , apart from him and the film based on fact , yea a good movie .:)
Did you see him in "Second hand lions"? Not convincing as a Texan either, but one my absolute favorite movies!:)

xinhui
07 Apr 10,, 06:49
forget to add my vote

Doomarias
07 Apr 10,, 13:16
The Devils Brigade

Elbmek
27 Feb 12,, 07:44
Tora Tora Tora
Green Zone

tankie
02 Mar 12,, 20:32
Tora Tora Tora
Green Zone

Tora Tora Tora , a good film , I liked A bridge too far , and I was Monties double , that's a film where a pay corp clerk gets to imitate Monty and realise's what its like to be a real soldier :tankie:

tankie
02 Mar 12,, 21:37
Did you see him in "Second hand lions"? Not convincing as a Texan either, but one my absolute favorite movies!:)

Aint seen that one ???

Albany Rifles
15 Mar 12,, 22:31
Getting ready to go on a week long Civil War tour of the Vicksburg Campaign with a good friend in 2 weeks. Bringing along a DVD player and a stack of DVDs for hanging around the room.

Our selection

The Horse Soldiers
Fort Apache
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
Rio Bravo
Major Dundee
Zulu
The Longest Day
Band of Brothers boxed set
The Pacific boxed set
Gettysburg

You may see a theme here.

Any suggestions to add to this list?

We'll have about 4 to 5 hours a night to kill.

And even though we will be in some dry counties the Wayback Machine will have ample supplies of beer for consumption in the room.

USSWisconsin
16 Mar 12,, 00:11
Glory
Dark Command
The Undefeated
Andersonville
The Man Who Never Was

Ahnuy
18 Jun 13,, 02:06
I'd go with Regeneration. This movie was an awesome insight into the first modern war poets. If anyone is interested in Wilfred Owen or Siegfried Sassoon then you might want to check out this movie. It's a pretty good look into the mental state of the soldiers as well as how they were treated.

SouthKorean
12 Dec 13,, 05:44
A bridge too far
Das Boot
Come and See
Stalingrad (the German one, not the Russian)
Taegukgi (sure the action is Rambo-style, but it at least portrayed the horrors of war somewhat accurately)
Der Untergang, if it can be called a war film

Samuels creek
02 Oct 14,, 11:10
" Bridge too far " was very romantic, great cast, great scenery and amazing score. Failed badly to adequately portray the Germans position. When you think about what was going on the eastern front, the round the clock bombing of the German war machine, the allied effort appears very weak. To be fair, nearly every western movie is guilty of this.

Probably one of the most realistic movies based around war would be 'the odd angry shot" or Oliver Stones "Heaven and Earth".

Tumisu
25 Nov 14,, 10:16
I don't understand why The Longest Day is not in the list. This is one of the best war movies ever.

barracudabq
06 Jan 15,, 05:40
Although it's not an option, I think I would choose Lawrence of Arabia. No huge bloody battles but it really gets into the deep matters of warfare in my opinion. Plus it's just an absolute piece of art to watch.

Sanjac
31 Aug 15,, 16:55
Amazingly, I was just wondering if I should wake up this old thread to mention "Lawrence of Arabia." Yup, I'd have to say it's my favorite war movie.

I'm wondering what the military experts think of "Valkyrie," the 2008 film starring Tom Cruise. Although I knew how it would all turn out, it kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the film, hoping against hope that they would succeed. (Maybe the science fiction lobes of my brain were lighting up. Alternative history.) Is it as historically accurate as I think it is?

"Patton" is one of those films that I can watch over and over and still enjoy. Maybe it's the music.

"Patriot," starring Mel Gibson, would rank high on my list.

"Dam Busters" might be of interest only to Kiwi fans, but I certainly enjoyed it; hoping for the modern remake.

And just to inject some silliness: "The Battle of the Five Armies." Let's talk serious history here!

TopHatter
31 Aug 15,, 18:54
I'm wondering what the military experts think of "Valkyrie," the 2008 film starring Tom Cruise. Although I knew how it would all turn out, it kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the film, hoping against hope that they would succeed. (Maybe the science fiction lobes of my brain were lighting up. Alternative history.) Is it as historically accurate as I think it is?
I'm no expert by any means, but Valkyrie was definitely a good movie IMO, although it had to stretch things a bit. For one thing it makes the coup look like it was succeeding more than it actually was, among other things.

The Wiki article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_(film)#Historical_accuracy) on the movie goes into pretty good detail, but more importantly provides links to other articles for further study.

Dazed
31 Aug 15,, 20:51
Tora Tora Tora. If the movie historically accurate. I know how America was lulled to sleep. That movie ran longer than WWII.

My boss owns one of the Kates form Tora Tora Tora. It began life as a T-6 in 1944, in 1969 three plugs in the fuselage and grafted on the tale of a VT-13? and new wing tips and canopy and you got a Kate replica. So the owner paint scheme and a/c mx is Japanese the aircraft all American parts.

Sanjac
01 Sep 15,, 04:59
I'm no expert by any means, but Valkyrie was definitely a good movie IMO, although it had to stretch things a bit. For one thing it makes the coup look like it was succeeding more than it actually was, among other things.

The Wiki article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_(film)#Historical_accuracy) on the movie goes into pretty good detail, but more importantly provides links to other articles for further study.

Thanks! Yes, the Wikipedia article looks like an excellent reference. It seems that the changes made by the moviemakers were intentional and pretty much necessary to make it work as a movie; mostly just nits such as compressing the time and number of encounters necessary to get the modified Valkyrie plan approved by Adolf Hitler. It's a amusing to think that the director left out the bit about von Stauffenberg refusing morphine because people would believe that the truth of it was a contrivance. He mentioned that in the voice-over director's comments on the DVD release.

Burnet
30 Apr 16,, 22:11
Band of Brothers
Platoon
Kelly's Heroes - there is more to this one than first meets the eye