Any MRE Experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any MRE Experiences?

I know I know, this is not a vehicle question, but we don't have a Misc. Military Equipment forum yet :)

Does anybody have any (good or bad experiences) with Meals Ready to Eat they'd like to share? Are the newest versions of the MRE any improvement?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Beefsteak = good when warm
    Chicken patty = good but has tunafish aftertaste

everything else varrying degrees of edibility

veggie meals = suck, theres just no getting around it even if you trade for extra bottles of tobasco veggie MRE's just begin to taste like super spice sh*t.
    Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

Liked the Ham Slices in snot sauce.

HATED the Dehydrated Pork(puke) patty.

Same for the dehyd beef patty.

The Chicken A La King was OK.

Ther rest of em all tasted the same. Bad.

Comment

My co-workers have relatives in the Army and I keep trying to get them to send me a few MRE's. You could say that I'm instensely curious as to how they taste vs. all of the bad press they get.
        I've heard/read that the cold weather MREs are supposedly delicous as well has the Humanitarian MRE which I guess is based around things like lentils and potatoes.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Like I say, I like Beefsteak and the Chicken Breast Patty, but not much else, I was fortunate as compared to Snipe I got the second generation MRE's. Most of them were a lot worse cold than hot.. if you couldn't use your heater then your meal was gonna suck pretty much no matter what... at least IMO

Comment

I know somebody who was in Vietnam, he said the canned pork and beans was good, but alot of the stuff was left over from WWII.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Those are C rats, Ironman.

Legendary for their nastiness.

Oh, yeah, we heated our MRE's....to 98.6 degrees F.

Comment

Supposedly they have a water-activated MRE Heater (flameless!) that is included with each MRE. Yum yum.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                  Supposedly they have a water-activated MRE Heater (flameless!) that is included with each MRE. Yum yum.
                  They do... most of the time they work pretty good...

Comment

I dunno, my idea of a hot meal is PIPING hot. How hot do those heaters make the entree'?

Comment

Makes ours, Manot Krav (combat rations), seem edible by comparison. Its a 3 in 1 ration for 5 guys. The staples are Kosher versions of Bully Beef and Loaf (pronounced loof, an Israeli SPAM.) Then there's canned Tehina, olives, Turkish coffee, tea, a kool-aid type powder and hard candies.

Not the worst stuff in the world, but none of the variety thats in the MREs. It would be hard to find a platoon in the IDF that doesn't have an "erkat cafe", a coffee kit. You find a small burner, cups, pot, coffees and lots of sugar. In the reserve units, they're art forms.

The height of my culinary initiative was making chocolate/granola cookies in Lebanon. It was winter time, so I'd melt milk chocolate, add the granola and drop spoonfuls on a sheet. Sticj it outside the tent or APC, and instant cookies.
                      Pa'am Tzanhan, Tamid Tzanhan.

Comment

I wonder if any IDF guys have tried the Kosher MRE's and what their opinion of them is...

Edit: I suddenly realized this could have gone under American Military Issues if our distingushed Admin or Moderaters would like to move it
                        Last edited by TopHatter; 08 Sep 03,, 22:24.

Comment

"They do... most of the time they work pretty good..."

Nope, we didn't have those either.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                            "They do... most of the time they work pretty good..."

Nope, we didn't have those either.
                            Thats what you get for being an Old Dog Snipe, us kids got all the cool stuff.

Comment

My friend who is in the Army gave me a couple of MREs, that was only a couple of months ago. I like the self-heating method and the MREs were pretty good. One was a veggie one with pasta and the other one was the chicken one. He has tons more, I'll try some more flavors when I see him again.

-3BSD
                              He who praises you for what you lack wishes to take from you what you have.
                              - Don Juan Manuel

Comment

Working...
                              X