PDA

View Full Version : Vote for your Favorite Diorama!

Ironduke
14 Mar 07,, 20:06
(Scroll up a bit to view voting choices, you must login to vote)

Vote for your Favorite Diorama!

The voting for your favorite WAB diorama submission last week is open. Voting is open for one week. Voting is restricted to members who were registered at the time the contest began (March 7th, 2007). The submission with the most votes will be awarded a tin of butter cookies. :)

The selections are:

RustyBattleship: Stearman Trainer, F-6 Corsairs, P-51 Mustang, and and P-47 Thunderbolts on a Runway:
http://www.strategicaffairs.org/images/models/rusty.JPG

Nord: German troops and Self-Propelled Artillery in Action, WWII:
http://www.strategicaffairs.org/images/models/germans.JPG

Dalem: American Troops and M-18 in Action, WWII
http://www.strategicaffairs.org/images/models/americans.JPG

Let the voting begin!

Elbmek
14 Mar 07,, 20:27
Congrat Nord, attention to detail is remarkable including the German in photo two, taking a leak!!!! ;)

glyn
14 Mar 07,, 21:00
Congrat Nord, attention to detail is remarkable including the German in photo two, taking a leak!!!! ;)

Oh, very droll:rolleyes: There must have been a gale blowing!! The standard of diorama is extremely high. Well done chaps:)

Parihaka
14 Mar 07,, 22:05
I have to lean toward Dale simply because of the action, but the detail of both is superb. Well done to both of you.

T_igger_cs_30
15 Mar 07,, 03:49
Congrats guys great job by all, I had to sit with a shot of Glenmorangie to deliberate my decision............so after 4 shots and a cigar......the edge goes to Dale :biggrin:

dalem
15 Mar 07,, 04:58
Congrats guys great job by all, I had to sit with a shot of Glenmorangie to deliberate my decision............so after 4 shots and a cigar......the edge goes to Dale :biggrin:

Ooo, what kind of cigar? I have a humidor full of Onyx Churchills and Toros right now.

-dale

T_igger_cs_30
15 Mar 07,, 05:25
Ooo, what kind of cigar? I have a humidor full of Onyx Churchills and Toros right now.

-dale

Romeo y julieta........... have to say you have good taste in cigars yourself sir :biggrin:

Officer of Engineers
15 Mar 07,, 05:52
Matt,

Whoever the runnerup is, send him my tin of butter cookies.

Ironduke
15 Mar 07,, 10:06
Matt,

Whoever the runnerup is, send him my tin of butter cookies.
Will do, Colonel.

AxlRose86
15 Mar 07,, 18:21
To everyone involved congrats and job well done. I am stuck in the middle of MOHAA and Dales looks identical to some of the maps lol.

Debbie
16 Mar 07,, 04:24
I have to vote for Dale - he told me that was the only way I was going to get more cookies to go with my afternoon cup of tea.

THL
16 Mar 07,, 05:24
I gotta ask (and this will in no way affect my voting) but Dale, is the dog in the second picture like three times the size of the guy standing by him or is it just the angle?

lemontree
16 Mar 07,, 06:30
THL,
Lol...that seems to be a real pet dog of Dalem and not a part of the diorama.

RustyBattleship
16 Mar 07,, 07:10
THL,
Lol...that seems to be a real pet dog of Dalem and not a part of the diorama.

I think that's a German Shepard and has been taken prisoner by the GI's with the M-18 tank destroyer. You notice he is inside a locked gate.

dalem
16 Mar 07,, 10:08
That was my old dog Sten (http://www.dmancini.com/pictures/pets/sten/). He curled up for his last nap after 14 years of tongue-lolling 2 years ago. He was a beagle/Aussie Shepherd mix.

My new dog is Sam. (http://www.dmancini.com/pictures/pets/Sam/) He is just turning 6 mos old and topping 51 pounds. He's very cute and I believ has Shepherd, lab, and quarter-horse forebears.

-dale

ExNavyAmerican
16 Mar 07,, 11:27
All very well done! :) I was stuck, and couldn't decide for about half an hour! :biggrin: I ended up voting for dalem's American troops becaue of the battles depicted. Though I nearly went for the urinating Germans!

THL
16 Mar 07,, 19:30
That was my old dog Sten (http://www.dmancini.com/pictures/pets/sten/). He curled up for his last nap after 14 years of tongue-lolling 2 years ago. He was a beagle/Aussie Shepherd mix.

I remember seeing pictures of Sten...but I kept thinking to myself, "how on earth would he get into the diorama?"
:)

T_igger_cs_30
16 Mar 07,, 19:37
dam neck and neck good comp :)

Ray
17 Mar 07,, 10:26
This is possibly the fifth time I have visited the thread.

Had to even check up what is diorama. Honest. I thought it was vistavision and technicolour and all that stuff!

Horribly difficult to select since they all are so fabulous. Things I can never dream to do with any finesse.

Except from Dalem's dog which is outsized, it seems to be more attractive to the eye.

So, while the others are fabulous, could my vote be counted towards Dalem's exhibit less that outsized dog?

romail
17 Mar 07,, 19:04
Iron u have not put my diorama in the contest
i think i unread the mail of sending the pic in 72 hours
Well i lost the time & contest....
r u gona say this better luck next time?:eek:

Ironduke
17 Mar 07,, 21:03
Romail, it didn't appear to be a diorama.

jame$thegreat
17 Mar 07,, 21:14
Dalem. Good job Dalem. It was neck and neck between you and Nord in my mind. The obect placement in Nord's was great but the action poses in Dale's were the deciding factor for me. I liked yours too RustyBattleship. Good job to the three of you.

crooks
18 Mar 07,, 01:24
I really like Nord's entry...the detail is great :) !

THL
19 Mar 07,, 00:45

Wait a minute. I was just thinking about it and the dog does not seem all that much bigger than the diorama...this must be a good sized diorama...

I would love to know the scale of all three. I had assumed that the men were about two inches high or so...but it appears that I was off.

Parihaka
19 Mar 07,, 02:19
Wait a minute. I was just thinking about it and the dog does not seem all that much bigger than the diorama...this must be a good sized diorama...

I would love to know the scale of all three. I had assumed that the men were about two inches high or so...but it appears that I was off.

It's all about perspective THL. The reason his diorama is so good is that they are in fact real miniature actors, and are hiding from the sudden appearance of a giant dog....

dalem
19 Mar 07,, 04:36

:) Sten was at 1:1 scale, about 20" tall. The diorama is all 1:35 scale, so the figs are about 1.5" tall.

-dale

highsea
19 Mar 07,, 08:15
Oh, man! I had it all wrong- I thought the scene depicted the desperation and helplessness felt by the American GI's what they first encountered the super-secret, genetically-engineered, giant Nazi beagles...:biggrin:

All right, that does it. I vote for the peeing jerries, for the great paint job.

Beautiful work form both Nord and Dale though, and both deserve a cookie. :)

Nord
21 Mar 07,, 01:13

Hehe Thanx!

RustyBattleship
21 Mar 07,, 06:45
Originally Posted by Elbmek
Congrat Nord, attention to detail is remarkable including the German in photo two, taking a leak!!!!

SIGH! And you guys are supposed to be our future intelligence operators and forward observers? We're doomed.

If you go back to the ORIGINAL thread and take a look at the 2nd to the last photo it shows that German with a 9 mm Schmeisser in his right hand (NOT his thingy) and binoculars chest high in his left hand. If he was taken a leak, he would commandeer somebody else's helmet as his is over his thingy.

Nord
21 Mar 07,, 08:32
Congrat Nord, attention to detail is remarkable including the German in photo two, taking a leak!!!!

SIGH! And you guys are supposed to be our future intelligence operators and forward observers? We're doomed.

If you go back to the ORIGINAL thread and take a look at the 2nd to the last photo it shows that German with a 9 mm Schmeisser in his right hand (NOT his thingy) and binoculars chest high in his left hand. If he was taken a leak, he would commandeer somebody else's helmet as his is over his thingy.

:biggrin:

I thought it was a joke.... hehe

dalem
21 Mar 07,, 11:22
I've seen more than one diorama scene with guys attending to bodily functions.

I'm surprised that Verlinden doesn't sell a set of resin figures specifically for it, as a matter of fact.

-dale

glyn
21 Mar 07,, 12:17

What a grumpy old curmudgeon you are turning into Rusty:eek:

dave lukins
21 Mar 07,, 19:52
What a grumpy old curmudgeon you are turning into Rusty:eek:

Poor RustyB, I don't think your bad tempered at all, not even grumpy ,a tad lacking in humour maybe. :biggrin:

T_igger_cs_30
21 Mar 07,, 20:02
man what a close race ;)

RustyBattleship
21 Mar 07,, 20:40
Poor RustyB, I don't think your bad tempered at all, not even grumpy ,a tad lacking in humour maybe. :biggrin:

Lacking in humor? Take another look at his helmet. He obviously thinks that part of his body needs more protection than his head. Also we had just come back from yet another doctor and my wife needs another operation. So my "humor" was a little dampened and not as sharp as the quarter Irish in me should have been.

But still, the detail is absolutely fantastic. I am also surprised at the votes I got. Sympathy votes probably. But that's okay. I just wanted to get the contest going. Just look at how many people have viewed this thread and voted on it.

But wait until we get to model trains. Ooh, ooh. That reminds me that this Friday is the meeting of my model train club. Theme is logging trains so I have to dig my Heisler out for display plus my big coffee table book on logging trains. Don't have any logging cars though. Every time I pick up another flat car I put a couple of tanks on it, or half tracks, or ship anchors.

T_igger_cs_30
21 Mar 07,, 20:44
Best wishes to your wife RustyB I empathise Mrs Tigger at present is going through the same ordeal

dave lukins
21 Mar 07,, 21:41
Best wishes to your wife RustyB I empathise Mrs Tigger at present is going through the same ordeal

All the best to you all..get well soon:) RustyB I should have added"British" humour as I think it was the keen eyes of Callemur who"raised"the matter:biggrin:

Ironduke
21 Mar 07,, 22:39
Congratulations to dalem, winner of the Diorama Contest, and Nord, the runner-up!

As OoE has chosen to award the runner-up with a tin of butter cookies he was priorly eligible for, both dalem and Nord will be awarded with a tin apiece.

Thanks to RustyBattleship for his entry, and I'm sure we'll have the opportunity to see more of all of your works in the future. :)

astralis
21 Mar 07,, 22:45
wow, i think i was the one responsible for the tie-vote. i added in a vote for dalem, and that put 'em at the same level :biggrin: happy to spread the butter-cookie love :biggrin:

glyn
21 Mar 07,, 22:47
Congratulations to dalem, winner of the Diorama Contest, and Nord, the runner-up!

As OoE has chosen to award the runner-up with a tin of butter cookies he was priorly eligible for, both dalem and Nord will be awarded with a tin apiece.

Thanks to RustyBattleship for his entry, and I'm sure we'll have the opportunity to see more of all of your works in the future. :)

All credit to the three contestants. Well done!:) :) :)

Debbie
22 Mar 07,, 02:32
Very good all 3 of you, congrats.

Debbie
22 Mar 07,, 02:33
Dale - you have made me the happiest woman in the world. I shall have butter cookies with tea once more in the afternoon.

T_igger_cs_30
22 Mar 07,, 02:34
Congrats to all 3 superb efforts.......however its always nice when you bet the winning horse , even if it was only by a nose :biggrin:

dalem
22 Mar 07,, 04:49
As corny as it sounds, any contest where I get to see others' excellent work is a good one. Plus Debbie gets her cookies. ;)

I envy Nord's painting skills, both with his figs and the Marder. Weatherbeaten whitewash is easy to overdo and hard to do right, in my opinion.

And the contest has inspired me to get back to it - I'm working up a small Star Wars-inspired gunboat this week.

Thanks to everyone who kept me in the race and congrats to all my fellow glue-slingers!

-dale