I couldnt believe what I just saw..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldnt believe what I just saw..

I was killing sometime before I was going to go to the gym, so I was lurking about the CF recruitment web page. I decided to watch the "Life in the Canada's army" video, Ill provide a link. What disturbed me, is that one of the narrators is Private Mark Graham, who was killed over the summer in Afghanistan. I cannot believe that the CF would still have this video up. What a great way to recruit new soldiers, by having a dead man tell them how great it is..

I sent a question to recruitment over the video. It just seems a little odd to me,
    you are right though OOE. But I can see people like taliban jack jumping all over this..

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/cool...en.aspx?bhcp=1
    In the list, select the video titled "Life in Canada's army"
    Last edited by Canmoore; 13 Mar 07,, 22:36. Reason: not a great title

I think it's even more to the point. Pvt Graham has a message and it should not be silenced.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      I think it's even more to the point. Pvt Graham has a message and it should not be silenced.
      The message doesnt have have to be silenced, I dont know the situation. Perhaps his family did not want the video removed. But Im surprised the lefties in this country havnt already jumped all over this, and tried to scare away new people from joining up.

Graham was an olympic athlete who joined the forces, I think that is an amazing story that would inspire alot of people into Joining. If they acknowledged that fact in the video I think it would send a very powerful message to curious people.

Comment

I think its great, he's still serving the Country even after falling in battle.
        Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

I think its great, he's still serving the Country even after falling in battle.
          So true! Can I hear an Amen?

Comment

Amen!

I guess I over reacted.

Comment

Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
              Amen!

I guess I over reacted.
              A normal re-action and from the heart...Amen

Comment

This movie is about the life in the canadian army, and as sad as it is, as long as canada ahs no intention to become another switzerland (which doesnt seem to be very likely), death is a part of this life. A pretty importand one I would say, and knowing that on of the person who voiced this video died does show this better than anything else could. Those who want to join have to really realise that this possible and I think there is hardly a "better" way of showing them this than this way (I hope this doesnt sound like I would welcome his death, what I am trying to say that it is important that people realise that death is part of the life in the army). but of course in case his family complains the video should be removed, but as long as they are fine with it I think it should stay.

Comment

Official response to the Question I submitted..

Hello:

Thank you again for your interest in the Canadian Forces (CF).

The death of Private Mark Graham was a great tragedy for so many, including his
                  fellow military members, and especially for his family and friends.

Pte Graham was a great spokesperson for the CF; he was proud to serve and was
                  eager to pass on messages that promoted its careers and its lifestyle. The
                  decision to continue to use this video was not made lightly. Mark's family was
                  consulted about this important decision, and in the end it was his parents who
                  decided that these videos should continue to be shown as part of their son's
                  legacy.

In time, of course, these products will be updated and other soldiers, sailors
                  airmen and airwomen, who are just as proud and resolved in their commitment to
                  the CF, will be highlighted.

I hope addresses you concerns.

Comment

I wrote a response to the answer I was given:

Hello,

Thank you very much for the response. I think that I may have over-reacted, but I thank you for explaining to me the reasoning behind the video. Graham, was an Olympic athlete who joined the military, that is an amazing story that could inspire many young canadians to join the CF. I am currently in the process of joining the forces, and cannot wait to become a member of the team.

I thank you again on the swift response, it was most helpful.
                    i just received this response

Hello again

Thank you for your response! I am often asked by our contact centre to address the more difficult questions, but I never get any feedback from the originator. I appreciate your taking the time to write back, and I am glad to hear the information was helpful.

I wish you the best of luck with your application. Who knows? Perhaps our paths will cross some day.

Take care,

Comment

Working...
                    X