• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint Mobile Offshore Base

What do you think of it?
    http://www.bwxt.com/Products/mob-bwx.html
    http://xtreme.eng.hawaii.edu/researc.../vlfs1_big.jpg

I think this would be an awsome idea(I just hope the Carrier Admirals don't tear it apart).

I would put about 480 VLS cells. Each platform should have a certain number of VLS cells so it can defend itself on it's way out there before they are conected. I would put about 480 ESSMs, 260 SM-2MRs, and 100 SM-3's for Ballistic Missile defense. On top of this I would put 2 SeaRAM's on each section and another 2 Goalkeepers on each Platform. This would make it virtually invunrable to any attack. On top of this it could have any type of fighters and even a C-5 could land on it. Even Submarines could be based at it.

You could also get more then 1 sorty off of it a day because it doesn't require a catapult and an arrested landing.

Even if a Cruise Missile manages to hit a section you just disattach it and send it back for repairs. The rest can reconnect with each and you will still have almost a mile long runway.

Looks awesome.

Could naval ships dock with it for resupply?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Absolutely, anything could dock with it including Carriers and Civilian Tankers.

Suposidly you could have 3000 men on it(size of a heavy Brigade). If you want rapid reaction this would be a great way to do it.
      Last edited by Praxus; 08 Sep 03,, 01:30.

Comment

It does sound like an excellent idea. My only concern is defending it. You gave an excellent listing for area and point defense. I wonder what provisions for anti-frogman defense would be provided.
        As you say though, the carrier admirals would approve that sort of thing over their dead bodies. They'd see it as a threat to the CVBG/ARG concept. Although now they have that new amphib formation. Just goes to show you, no matter how much a concept works, it's hard to effect change.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I read about this or something similar in PopSci/PopMech (forgot which), but the pictures showed a virtual city with docks, sub pens, control tower, multiple runways, etc...
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

"It does sound like an excellent idea. My only concern is defending it. You gave an excellent listing for area and point defense. I wonder what provisions for anti-frogman defense would be provided."

That was the first thing i thought of too TH.

Comment

Well, you know what they say "If you can't go in through the front door..."
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yup.

Comment

To destroy small boats coming up you could use the 30mm Goalkeeper. Swimers can't swim 100nm out to seaso they are no threat. It would have a bunch of ASW aircraft, you could base P-3C's on it if you wanted too a long with a bunch of Seahawk Helicopters. You could also base a couple Submarines from the platform.

I can't see how anything could attack it. You would have to barrage the thing with 900 missiles and 50 Submarines, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                    Swimers can't swim 100nm out to seaso they are no threat.
                    Always assume something is a threat. In the case of frogmen, you'd want to go under the assumption that they can reach the platform. As Henry Kissinger once said "Even paranoids have enemies"

Comment

No Human being in the world can swim 100nm. The best swimmers in the world can only swim like 20 statute miles.

They would have to get released from Submarines but how do they do that when you got like 10 Seahawks and maybe 1 or 2 P3C's and maybe 2-3 submarines(just a made up number but you get the idea).

The 30mm Goalkeepers could knock out swimmers, because it has IR. You could just fire a couple rounds and it will blow a large chunk of his body apart.
                      Last edited by Praxus; 08 Sep 03,, 20:50.

Comment

I was referring to submarine-delivered swimmers using underwater vehicles, like SDV's. While an ASW screen is certainly neccessary, you'll certainly want to plan on somebody getting through.
                        Also there is certainly a minimum distance on those Goalkeepers.

Comment

Actually, in manual mode, there is no minimum range for the Goalkeeper. The HE rds don't fuze for some distance, but the gun itself will shoot just the same.

Imagine this praxus....a sub drops off some divers(SEAL Types) 20 miles from the platform, and they swim underwater to the platform from there.

Then they swim under the platform and plant satchel charges...

It could happen.

Comment

It's highly unlikely but still plausible. Even if it does happen it won't disable the platform for more then a day and depending were they hit it, it may be less then a day.

But if they got close enough to deliver satchel charges why don't they just shoot torpedos. I mean a real submarine is the only platform with that kind of range that can submerge and chances are it won't get past the sonar net.

This thing is a humuges platform with over 3000 Soldiers(a brigade strength) with most likely over 1000 man crew with sonars on the actual platform a long with sonar boeys(sp?) from Helicopters. Not to mention Submarines that are out there hunting for Submarines.

They are also developing a system that differentiates between different shades of colors beyond the ability of the human eye to distingush. They are gonna test it against North Korean and Chinese subs.
                            Last edited by Praxus; 08 Sep 03,, 21:22.

Comment

Oh I'll be the first to admit it sounds a bit far-fetched, but why take that chance? And rather than use a satchel charge, why not a "backpack nuke"? (Again far-fetched, but just for the sake of discussion)

Comment

Working...
                              X