X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd WAB Modelers Contest: Dioramas

Dear Members,

I am proud to announce that we are launching the 2nd WAB Modeler's Contest. The theme of this contest will be dioramas, at the request of Bluesman, the source of the butter cookie madness!

Make sure to snap those photos, and submit a photo of your diorama work to compete in the contest.

As before, members have one week to submit a photo of their diorama work. After a week of submissions, the submission thread will be closed and a voting thread will be opened. The winner takes home a tin of butter cookies!

Good luck!

Regards, Ironduke
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Ok I will admit having to "google" to find out what the hell a"Diorama" is..........this should be interesting good luck to all you Dioramerists
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

I had to google it, too ! lol

But it sounds like fun.
      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

A diorama is a 3D model of not only your model (tank, truck, ship, whatever) but in "action". If your model is of a 1973 International Harvester 4X4 pickemup truck, you can have it climbing a hill or just sitting in a garage with a trailer hooked up for the next camping trip.

One of the nicest laid out dioramas I ever saw at a model show was only about 2 foot square and done by a young teenager. It showed a British owned M-4 Sherman tank and its infantry support squad attacking a shelled out stone building with Afrika Korps Germans in it and around it in sand bagged trenches.

Or if you are into model trains, your layout of train stations, towns, etc. qualifies as a diorama. My train table would NOT qualify because it only has three sets of elliptical tracks on it. No buildings, hills or whatever.

The smallest and neatest railroad dioramas I have seen however are "shadow box" displays. Nothing moves and you don't have to worry about large backgrounds or space to put them except for wall space. You don't have to take up an entire garage with a train layout.

So there are your choices. Full layouts, table top (portable for model shows) displays or shadow boxes.

PS: Be thankful the winner will be picked by the Democratic method of individual voting. You wouldn't want me as a judge.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Awright you guys. I just cannot believe that none of you have built up a diorama of some sort. Therefore I am going to start this off with the worst of them all.

Even I won't vote for it.

It started out to be a side-addition to my train table depicting an airbase. All the aircraft are in HO scale, even the bi-plane and C-47. The fighter planes are cast metal models that cost only 5 bucks apiece and are precisely HO scale. I have a couple of Mustang models in plastic and in HO. But I don't think my patience will allow me to assemble and paint them. After hitting my hands with hammers and getting thumbs caught up in table saws does not do model building much good.
          Attached Files

Comment

Rusty, That 2nd little plane on the left with the red tail is kinda cute. But for some reason, I also think the double-o-star plane on the right is sweet, also. :)
            "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Mercedes Smart Diorama Mini

Once i was thinking can i make Mini Smart Car then the orginial mini ,
              then i realize how to make it,After a week i make Mini more Mini then the original one,so hope u all enjoy.

This is my entry for the contest -

created by ROMAIL THE CKONE - owned and shown by ROMAIL THE CKONE - diorama made by ROMAIL.

[Picture taken near my house at Newjersey]

I don't buy Models ,I Make Models by my Imagination

ROMAIL ROCKS
              Attached Files
              ROMAIL THE CKONE

Comment

Originally posted by THL View Post
                Rusty, That 2nd little plane on the left with the red tail is kinda cute. But for some reason, I also think the double-o-star plane on the right is sweet, also. :)
                The 2nd plane is a P-51 Mustang painted in the colors of the Tuskagee Airmen.

The double "O" plane in back is an F-6 Hellcat. Why it's not in Navy blue, I don't know. But it's still a nice item for the layout.

Comment

Okay, I have pics of a diorama I did for my M18 Hellcat TD, but they are all big. Should I re-take a smaller photo or can I lazily link to the pic directory here? I think there are 6 pics, do you want just one?

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                    Okay, I have pics of a diorama I did for my M18 Hellcat TD, but they are all big. Should I re-take a smaller photo or can I lazily link to the pic directory here? I think there are 6 pics, do you want just one?

-dale
                    You can open the picture in MS Paint > Image > Stretch/Skew > Enter percentages.

If you do 50/50, the resulting picture will be 1/4 the size.

Comment

First entry: RustyBattleship

Comment

The attached photo is a better arrangement than the ones I submitted earlier. Then I had just put the planes down willy-nilly and didn't even bother cleaning the rotted styrofoam off of them.

This photo shows them more in order. At the far end of the runway is the C-47. On the left is the Stearman trainer followed by four F-6 Corsairs. On the right is the F-4 Hellcat, followed by the P-51 Mustang and then followed by three P-47 Thunderbolts.

To the far right is the box with the two P-51's I haven't even taken off the sprues yet. They are also HO scale and produced by Walthers, a leading name in HO scale trains. Walthers also produced the C-47 and you can assemble it either as a military C-47 or a civilian DC-3 (comes with TWO left fuselages for door and window differences).
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by RustyBattleship; 10 Mar 07,, 05:45.

Comment

Just to let everybody know -- the submission deadline is in three days. Make sure to submit your diorama photos. Otherwise -- it's a one-horse race. ;)

Comment

Marder II D in the near of Stalingrad.

I missed the first entry, but here I am...

Couldn`t resist the cookies...

The Scale is 1/35

Comment

I protest against Nords entry. He obviously has access to a time machine and a miniaturising device
                              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Working...
                              X