B-29 & Bell X-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-29 & Bell X-1

These are the most incredible flying models I have ever seen.

http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Fan-bloody-tastic and history to boot, now as you know I am not a flyer by any stretch of the imagination .......so my question is could a real B-29 do those stunts?
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
      Fan-bloody-tastic and history to boot, now as you know I am not a flyer by any stretch of the imagination .......so my question is could a real B-29 do those stunts?
      I have never heard of ANY heavy bomber doing barrel rolls, inside loops or the finale of a half outside loop with half role. At least not any REAL one.

But the builders of these models did a fantastic job and are obviously highly expert at their controls. Besides the stunts of the B-29, the only thing I found in error was that the Bell X-1 model color was too bright of a red. The real one was a little more International Orange so in case it crashed the wreckage could be spotted among the sage brush.

Comment

That was incredible. It even sounds like a real plane with all the engines cranked up.

Shouldn't the X-1 be half recessed in the bomb bay?
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

these two are the best i,ve seen (i have seen icreadable model of b52 with jets, but it crashed), whoever build it, deserves respect.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
            Absolutely not. If anyone was ever so unwise as to attempt to handle a bomber in such a fashion the debris field would be extensive.
            Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
              Absolutely not. If anyone was ever so unwise as to attempt to handle a bomber in such a fashion the debris field would be extensive.
              I thought so Glyn, but knowing the perfection these modellers like to achieve it just made me wonder.......:)
              sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                That was incredible. It even sounds like a real plane with all the engines cranked up.

Yes, as the X-1 pilot had to enter it after the B-29 had taken off. To do so was bloody hairy anyway as the entry hatch was on the side of the X-1 and not very large. Now add turbulent airflow in the bomb-bay of the B-29, and we can see that it was not a task for the faint hearted! It must have been a relief for all concerned when the research craft was released from the mother ship.
                Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  Ah yes, it should have been. But the modelers had enough complication already and may have been on a deadline to get their entry into the show. Maybe next year they will have it inside the bomb-bay with a model of Chuck Yeager using a sawed off broomstick to lock the hatch because he had a broken arm from a horse riding accident.

Comment

EXCELLENT work!

Comment

I read somewhere that Chuck Yeager was not the first to break the sound barrier.

It was only a week earlier by a pilot named George Welch.

Shortly before the X-1's famous flight, North American test pilot George Welch had been conducting high-speed dives of the XP-86. During these flights, he had noticed odd behavior of the aircraft's speed indicator which jumped erratically as he approached Mach 1. Later on, this phenomenon would come to be known as "Mach jump" and is indicative of encountering shock waves at transonic speeds near the speed of sound. Witnesses on the ground had also reported hearing the tell-tale "BA-BOOM" sound indicative of the sonic boom created by a supersonic vehicle.

Aerospaceweb.org | Ask Us - First Supersonic Jet
                      Originally posted by GVChamp
                      College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Canuck View Post
                        I read somewhere that Chuck Yeager was not the first to break the sound barrier.
                        It was only a week earlier by a pilot named George Welch.
                        A number of aircraft have been suspected of breaking the sound barrier IN A DIVE. This included the P-38 Lightning as the first to do so (the pilot wrote a short story on it titled "Eight seconds to live"). But similar phenomena was also noted with the blunt nosed P-47 Thunderbolt. It turns out that the air speed indicator was recording what its name mean, measuring air speed as the plane approached Mach 1. The planes themselves did not exceed the speed of sound, only the air taking the long route around the wings and fuselage.

The Bell X-1 was originally intended to be jet propelled but in order to make sure it broke the sound barrier in LEVEL FLIGHT, a rocket motor was installed instead.

Therefore Brigadier General Charles Yeager, USAF (retired) was the first man to travel faster than the speed of sound in LEVEL flight.

Later jet aircraft could only break the sound barrier in a DIVE and I think the F-86 Saber was the first to do that. It wasn't until much later that engine and aerodynamics improved to the point that the planes could exceed the sound barrier in level flight. Even then, they had to be stripped of externally mounted items such as fuel tanks, bombs and rockets.

Today, some planes can exceed the sound barrier STRAIGHT UP. I recall being at a dinner one time when Admiral Moorer (Chief of Naval Operations) gave a speech. He related to the advances in ship and airplane designs over the years. He was a "brown shoe" Admiral meaning he was a Navy pilot at one time. I'll never forget how he compared then and now, "Today's F-4 can fly faster straight UP than my F-4 could fly straight DOWN".

Comment

Fantastic. Thanks for putting it up Rusty. Awesome.
                          Wonder how much work that guy gets done for his wife around the home?

Comment

WOW
                            I have never seen this before today -incredible and the boy seems so proud of dad [?] imagine having all his fathers experience and all the learning pains he will avoid if he chooses to proceed in that direction.

Comment

Wow is not the word, how about incredible talent in construction and imagination.

Comment

Working...
                              X