• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British immigrants face a hostile reception after Maori call for curb

British immigrants face a hostile reception after Maori call for curb

By Paul Chapman in Wellington
    Last Updated: 1:18am GMT 27/02/2007

Britons considering making a fresh start in New Zealand might find a less than warm welcome awaiting them after Maori politicians demanded curbs on immigration to the islands.

Lured by the attractive climate, majestic scenery, a high standard of living and the use of English, thousands leave the United Kingdom each year to make new lives on the other side of the globe.

But yesterday Maori nationalists called on the government in Wellington to limit the number of migrants from Britain.

They accused the government of running a secret campaign to prevent the "browning of New Zealand" by encouraging large numbers of white immigrants so that they outnumber those of Pacific and Asian origin who would align themselves with the Maori minority.

The proportion of Maori in the population, currently 13 per cent, is expected to grow rapidly over the next few decades because their birthrate is more than twice that of white New Zealanders.

The number of non-Maori New Zealanders would be falling without the net gain from immigration, mainly because tens of thousands leave for Australia every year.

Tariana Turia, the founder and co-leader of the Maori Party which holds four seats in parliament, said: "What we are talking about is the number of people coming into this country and what that means for Maori political representation. The prediction is that we are going to see a considerable browning of New Zealand with Maori, Pacific islanders and Asians, and maybe this is the way the government combats it.

"We aren't playing the race card because we are not talking about Asian immigration."

The demand by the Maori Party is significant because it could hold the balance of power in the proportionally elected parliament after the general election due next year.

The number of Britons moving to New Zealand has soared since the Lord of the Rings films gave the country's majestic scenery a high profile, boosted by the government introducing a minimum English language requirement that effectively cut arrivals from Asia. Britain represents by far the biggest source of migrants, with 22,400 entering the country last year to take up permanent residence.

Attractions cited by British migrants, apart from natural beauty, include more sunshine and the country's relaxed way of life. Martin Rowley, 39, and his partner, Jane Doble, who emigrated with their son George, six, from Marlow, Bucks, five years ago, are typical recent arrivals from Britain.

They have a baby daughter, born since they settled in the coastal resort of Tauranga, where they run their own office cleaning business. "We love it here and would never want to go back," Mr Rowley said.

"There is so much space, with only four million people in the whole country, and the climate means we enjoy an outdoor lifestyle that we could never hope for in England."

Although the Maori Party demanded curbs on migrants from other mainly white countries such as the United States, Canada and Australia, their numbers are dwarfed by those from Britain.

The level of British migration is at its highest since New Zealand, like Australia, ended a policy of assisted passages for settlers known as "Ten Pound Poms" in the early 1970s.

Businesses and civil authorities increasingly recruit in Britain in an effort to counter a crippling shortage of skilled staff.

Helen Clark, the prime minister, dismissed the Maori Party's demands as "ridiculous". She said: "Our country has been built on migration, you're part of it, I'm part of it."
    British immigrants face a hostile reception after Maori call for curb | International News | News | Telegraph
    What's up?

Going the Fiji way?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Parihaka, could you tell me is there any "true full blood" Maori's around? does that question make sense? not wishing to insult
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Ah dear old Auntie Tariana.
      I especially liked her comment 'I'm not being racist because I'm talking about white people, not Asians', on the news tonight
      She is a racist and a bigot, she believes that white people are interlopers who have taken over her country and the only way to fix things is to have us 'sent back where we came'. In my case that would be Dunedin hospital and what she expects me to do once I get there god alone knows.
      What she actually means is that I should be shipped off to Europe, although as I'm part Maori as well I assume I would have to donate some organs here before I'm packed off.
      She is the leader of the Maori party, a party dedicated to the supremacy of the Maori race much like the BNP in England but for brown people, and are guaranteed 8 seats in parliament.
      As my wife is English, I think I might be forced to punch Tariana in the nose the next time we pass each other in the street.
      In the meantime, to all those English, FEAR NAUGHT, you're as welcome as all the other refugees we take in from around the world, and well liked because you tend to get a job and pay taxes, which keep a fair number of Tariana's supporters in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed, or as Tariana might say, a customary right.

As for the pure blood thing, I would suspect so, there are certainly plenty of people wandering around who look not the slightest bit European, but the vast majority of us who were born here are somewhere in the middle.
      The stats about being whites being outbred are also false, its mere Liberal (in the American sense) statistical chicanery designed to influence future governmental priorities.
      The simple truth is most people are neither white nor brown, but some indeterminant shade in between, and the surveys based on such a simplistic model aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Thanks for that :)
        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Hang around there, Parihaka! ;)

Let the Maoris do their war dance!

Just like Fiji!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
            Hang around there, Parihaka! ;)

Let the Maoris do their war dance!

Just like Fiji!
            The simple truth is that irrespective of colour, there are now a lot more tribes here than just the traditional Maori ones, anyone born here is a native.
            We've taken on Maori culture as they have taken on European and Asian culture. All that is left after the Waitangi tribunal compensation packages is the political rhetoric of how Maori deserve special priviledges simply because they are Maori.
            The Maori party itself is quite interesting. There's a chap there called Pita Sharples who wants to do away with welfare for Maori because he sees it as a reason for Maori under-achievement and in truth, apart from Tariana's racism they would probably be classified as middle-right.
            They will forever be hampered though because they are a one-cause party.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              She is the leader of the Maori party, a party dedicated to the supremacy of the Maori race much like the BNP in England but for brown people, and are guaranteed 8 seats in parliament.
              Brown you say? Ill let my country men know that there is a NZ party fighting for their rights
              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                Brown you say? Ill let my country men know that there is a NZ party fighting for their rights
                yeah yeah all right

Leibniz

Comment

Immigration is an emotive issue with voters that has often been exploited by politicians pursuing the votes of the prejudiced, The Dominion Post writes in an editorial.

The temptation is to dismiss Maori Party co-leader Tariana Turia's call for limits on immigration as in the same mould.

Certainly her comments raise eyebrows. Ms Turia says she believes the Government is attempting to combat the "browning" of New Zealand by allowing high levels of immigration from Australia, Canada and Britain. New Zealand's immigration policy does favour those nations, but only because the English language test has become part of its immigration policies. The stated aim is not to winnow out brown faces, but to ensure that people who come to New Zealand do well. There is no reason to doubt that intent. To suggest it is part of some sort of ethnic whitening programme is, as Prime Minister Helen Clark has said, ridiculous.

The Maori Party has also linked the fact Maori did not achieve an eighth Maori seat in Parliament to the influx of migrants, reducing the overall proportion of Maori in the population. That is an inevitable result of a population that is rising through migration, regardless of the origin of the migrants.

Miss Clark is right to call attention to the fact that New Zealand is a nation of immigrants. Whether they or their forebears came here in a canoe, a sailing ship or aeroplane all New Zealanders have a history that includes a decision to cross the oceans to a new home. That tradition should not end. New Zealand needs immigrants to fill skill gaps here, and to compensate for the outflows of its own young people to countries with more opportunities and bigger pay packets than they can find staying at home. Indeed Ms Turia should be mindful when she makes her argument that Maori are the only group in New Zealand who cannot increase their numbers by immigration that she is forgetting about the large number of Maori who have done what many other Kiwis have done, and made their homes in Australia because of the better standard of living possible there. The pressure for more immigration would not be as great were New Zealand able to hold on to more of its own people.

However, that does not mean there should be no questioning of the policies New Zealand uses to determine who should become its new citizens. Miss Clark is promoting national identity as one of the themes of her third term. The cultural and ethnic backgrounds of those who make up New Zealand go to the heart of that. Her aim of strengthening relations between groups and avoiding the creation of ethnic and religious ghettos is a recognition of the need to bridge divides, but there should also be an acknowledgement that a well-thought-out immigration policy can lessen those divides in the first place.

Immigration is an issue of long-standing concern to Maori, many of whom see it as central to their position as tangata whenua. It is also clear that immigration puts pressure on schools, on the health and welfare system, on the housing and rental market, and the effect of that falls disproportionately on Maori, who make up far too many of those at the bottom of the New Zealand economic heap.

The challenge of any immigration policy is to balance competing economic, social and political interests, and to make sure that both migrants and those already resident are comfortable with the result. That Mrs Turia and others are not should cause concern.
                  It's interesting how easy it is to misconstrue an issue. The above piece is an op-ed from my local paper, and the area highlighted is what I'd like to address.
                  Some basic facts: New Zealands population is not increasing, net migration is matching net immigration, thus our school system isn't affected.

The immigrants do not put pressure on the welfare system: the very reason they're allowed here is that they are easily employable and thus contribute to the economy. Our unemployment rate is currently 3.4 percent.

The house and rental price increase is caused by property speculation by New Zealands own baby-boomers, as it there is no capital gains tax here and thus the returns are far better than investment in other portfolios. This has been covered extensively by this very paper.

About the only thing the editor has got right is that "the effect of that falls disproportionately on Maori, who make up far too many of those at the bottom of the New Zealand economic heap."
                  Last edited by Parihaka; 28 Feb 07,, 01:38.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                    Sorry, you (we) guys are a darker shade .

Comment

Tis, Tis...

Originally posted by ;349259
                      Ah dear old Auntie Tariana.
                      I especially liked her comment 'I'm not being racist because I'm talking about white people, not Asians', on the news tonight
                      She is a racist and a bigot, she believes that white people are interlopers who have taken over her country and the only way to fix things is to have us 'sent back where we came'. In my case that would be Dunedin hospital and what she expects me to do once I get there god alone knows.
                      What she actually means is that I should be shipped off to Europe, although as I'm part Maori as well I assume I would have to donate some organs here before I'm packed off.
                      As my wife is English, I think I might be forced to punch Tariana in the nose the next time we pass each other in the street.
                      In the meantime, to all those English, FEAR NAUGHT, you're as welcome as all the other refugees we take in from around the world, and well liked because you tend to get a job and pay taxes, which keep a fair number of Tariana's supporters in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed, or as Tariana might say, a customary right.

As for the pure blood thing, I would suspect so, there are certainly plenty of people wandering around who look not the slightest bit European, but the vast majority of us who were born here are somewhere in the middle.
                      The stats about being whites being outbred are also false, its mere Liberal (in the American sense) statistical chicanery designed to influence future governmental priorities.
                      The simple truth is most people are neither white nor brown, but some indeterminant shade in between, and the surveys based on such a simplistic model aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

QUOTE:Parihaka.. I think I might be forced to punch Tariana in the nose the next time we pass each other in the street.

Not your Aunt....Maybe your cousin....You really do eat long pig Pari Sir.

Ivan
                      Last edited by brokensickle; 28 Feb 07,, 07:32.

Comment

There will be no change in NZs immigration policies. We will continue to accept those that we feel will benefit the country and/ or refugees striving for something better. The Maori Party have no influence on who comes in.

It should be noted that Maori have been improving their economic achievement over the last 5 or so years so it would be wrong to suggest that we need British immigrants to pay for Maori. The British are welcome because of the skills they add.

BTW the Maori Party often vote with the conservative National Party against the Labour Government. Strange bed-fellows indeed.

Comment

Ah, it's so nice to have another kiwi around. Where've you been Kip?

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                            Ah, it's so nice to have another kiwi around. Where've you been Kip?
                            If he told you, he would have to find a new hiding place! ;)

Just ribbing!

Couldn't help it.

That sentence was dying for the comeback! ;)

Not my original. It is from the MAD magazine.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post

Not my original. It is from the MAD magazine.
                              Ray try saying DAMM MAD MAG 4 times!!

Comment

Working...
                              X