PDA

View Full Version : Vote for your favorite model!

Ironduke
26 Feb 07,, 22:49
Vote for your Favorite Model!

The voting for your favorite WAB model submission last week is open. Voting is open for one week. Voting is restricted to members who were registered at the time the contest began (February 18th, 2007). The submission with the most votes will be awarded a tin of butter cookies. :)

The selections are:

RustyBattleship: 1:32 scale model M-41 Walker Bulldog
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/modelers-corner/7142d1171928583-1st-wab-modelers-contest-m-41-model.jpg

texasjohn: Navy F-14
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/modelers-corner/7134d1171902666-1st-wab-modelers-contest-cat_belly_s.jpg

Romail: Motive Power - Steam
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/modelers-corner/7143d1171982066-1st-wab-modelers-contest-steam1.jpg

MarquezRazor: Self-designed close support and ground attack aircraft
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/modelers-corner/7148d1172063274-1st-wab-modelers-contest-cas1.jpg

Let the voting begin!

SEVA
26 Feb 07,, 23:22
Heh, the self designed aircraft! For creativity although it does remind me of the Su 25.

T_igger_cs_30
26 Feb 07,, 23:29
Well done Romail....got my vote :)

MarquezRazor
27 Feb 07,, 10:25
Heh, the self designed aircraft! For creativity although it does remind me of the Su 25.

Heyyy I got a vote at least.Thanks.:)

For that I actually borrowed ideas from the Su-25 and the Jaguar.

SnowLeopard
27 Feb 07,, 11:12
So is the F-14 suppose to be the one that rolled off the carrier in the Atlantic? I mean, isn't that the aspect that NR-1 found it in at the bottom of the ocean?
----------------------------------
(After Penguin pushed the ice princess off the ledge. "You said you were just going to scare her."--Catwoman
"Well, she looked plenty scared on the way down!"--Penguin, (w,stte), "Batman Returns")

romail
27 Feb 07,, 11:31
Thanks for the Vote Dear Ones
Let's Make a contribution together
that can be remember forever

always Romail

Elbmek
27 Feb 07,, 18:34
As far as I can see there is only one to vote for, so I have.

dalem
27 Feb 07,, 20:47
Dayum, I can't believe I missed the deadline. I hate my job. ;)

Maybe next time then.

-dale

texasjohn
27 Feb 07,, 20:53

Maybe next time then.

-dale

I was wondering where your entry was!! You would have whupped everyone's butt!!!:biggrin:

Ironduke
28 Feb 07,, 00:10

Maybe next time then.

-dale
Not firm yet, but I'm strongly considering running 26 contests a year, every two weeks. You'll have plenty of opportunities :)

RustyBattleship
28 Feb 07,, 01:04
Not firm yet, but I'm strongly considering running 26 contests a year, every two weeks. You'll have plenty of opportunities :)

Oh good. I can resurrect my HO scale trains (especially those rolling stock I have modified to Milwaukee Road) and go head to head with Romail.

lemontree
28 Feb 07,, 09:01
I voted for Romail's steam locomotive. Its a very nice and classy engine model, something like I had when I was 2 or 3. I wanted to be an engine driver then.:rolleyes:

Callmecur
28 Feb 07,, 09:16
Damn, wrong models, was hoping to see Kate Moss et al....

baz0927
28 Feb 07,, 11:50
As a ex Tankie it wll be JORDAN!!!!

Op-Tom
01 Mar 07,, 04:09
Navy F-14
Looks cool

Ray
01 Mar 07,, 19:05
I like the F 14 since it looks very neat in construction.

The engine is also good

But creativity is with the self designed one.

And I like tanks.

Awfully difficult to choose!

If there was separate gradation for various factors, then maybe the head would rule over the eyes!

kams
01 Mar 07,, 23:06
Damn, wrong models, was hoping to see Kate Moss et al....

heck, even I thought so....wrong title...should be Scale models.

TJ gets my vote.

Rusty gets the second vote...nicely done.

RustyBattleship
02 Mar 07,, 03:50
Rusty gets the second vote...nicely done.

Thank you. Actually it was sort of fun kit-bashing from two other models and coming out with a more correct representation. Gives you a better feeling of accomplishment than just putting tab A into slot B.

MarquezRazor
02 Mar 07,, 06:47
TJ gets my vote.Although Rusty ol boy is also very close.

I realised getting a good shot of your model is as important as the model itself.

btw..Nord would "own" this competition if he wanted..lol.

Samudra
02 Mar 07,, 15:56
TJ. :cool:

zraver
02 Mar 07,, 16:11
Gotta vote for the M-41, nice wash job by the pic looks like it's been slugging it out with the Norks or Mr Charles.

T_igger_cs_30
02 Mar 07,, 18:04
Settleing down into a 2 horse race now between TJ and RB air or land :biggrin: ......heres me an ex Tanky voted for a train......well I liked it :)

Ironduke
04 Mar 07,, 09:32
Polling will be closed in 36 hours. If you haven't cast your vote yet, do it now! :)

The Chap
05 Mar 07,, 05:29
I've gone for the choo-choo on the assumption that it works.

Perhaps a contest for functioning creations?

'reason being: if TJ has a flying 'plane the train - lovely tho it is - is still a train.:tongue:

Requiring less artistic flair but considerable ingenuity I did drunkenly construct a working trebuchet using only one week of The Telegraph and sticky tape.

I used the Gaudian;) as flaming ammo.:biggrin:

Ironduke
05 Mar 07,, 22:54
With 43 votes cast, 20 have voted for the Navy F-14 submitted by texasjohn.

Hereby, I declare texasjohn the winner of the 1st WAB Modeling Contest!

Salutations to RustyBattleship, romail, and MarquezRazor for their submissions. There will be many more contests in the future, and everyone will have an opportunity to enter the fray once again!

An FYI, the next modeling contest will be dioramas, as selected by the venerable Bluesman, and will be launched within the next 48 hours.

dave lukins
05 Mar 07,, 23:03
Congrats Texasjohn well done Sir,,Bravo!!!

Samudra
05 Mar 07,, 23:17
Shabash TJ. :cool:

texasjohn
05 Mar 07,, 23:46
Thank you one and all for the votes.

I must accept this with much HUMILITY, simply because, I have seen the work of REAL modellers like Nord, Dalem etc. who either missed the deadline or were not aware of the contest. Had the likes of them contributed, they would have smoked me. I have 3 other models I am building and hope to improve as I do.

GLYN, is in the process of building a couple of tanks - perhaps it can be a joint effort by the tankies here!!!! Right Glyn??:)

glyn
06 Mar 07,, 00:04
GLYN, is in the process of building a couple of tanks - perhaps it can be a joint effort by the tankies here!!!! Right Glyn??:)

Er, TJ it might be a bit too strong to say 'in the process'! :eek: I have elevated sloth and prevarication to an art form.:) Stage 1 was finding out if the AFVs I wanted were available in a common scale. Stage 2 was ordering them. Stage 3 was opening the boxes (one at a time, naturally). Stage 4 was some trial painting of the pieces on sprue to check the colour. Stage 5 was putting them away somewhere secure. Stage 6 is happening now as people are reminding me to get on with it. Stage 7 will happen when (if?) I get so disgusted with myself that I actually knuckle down and do it. I am unable to predict when Stage 7 will occur:redface:

Karthik
06 Mar 07,, 03:48
Yo congrats Texasjohn! :)

texasjohn
06 Mar 07,, 03:51
Yo congrats Texasjohn! :)

Thanks bud!:)

Jay
06 Mar 07,, 03:54
damn, missed to vote.

Congrats John.

texasjohn
06 Mar 07,, 03:56
damn, missed to vote.

Congrats John.

Rumba nandri! Did I get that right?:biggrin:

RustyBattleship
06 Mar 07,, 04:36
My hearty congratulations to Texas John. I think what got them was that extraordinary detail of the cockpit. My hands are definitely too clumsy for that.

As for the "Wash Job" on my M-41, though I have done "Weathering" on many of my HO model train cars, I didn't do it on the tank. That's just REAL dust from sitting in my trophy cabinet for so many years. But I deliberately left it there because it was much more realistic as to where a tank actually gathers dust.

texasjohn
06 Mar 07,, 05:31
My hearty congratulations to Texas John. I think what got them was that extraordinary detail of the cockpit. My hands are definitely too clumsy for that.

As for the "Wash Job" on my M-41, though I have done "Weathering" on many of my HO model train cars, I didn't do it on the tank. That's just REAL dust from sitting in my trophy cabinet for so many years. But I deliberately left it there because it was much more realistic as to where a tank actually gathers dust.

Thanks a million bud!

I still need to get with you on the "Weathering" thing. I am not sure how to do that with the bf-109 balsa model I am now building.

Also, my B-17 ( Memphis Belle) has real dust from hanging off the garage roof!! It does look "weathered":biggrin:

I was going to take it down, blow off only superficial dust, then weather the landing gear with grease, etc. I hope you don't mind "off the wall" questions!:biggrin:

RustyBattleship
06 Mar 07,, 06:09
Thanks a million bud!

I still need to get with you on the "Weathering" thing. I am not sure how to do that with the bf-109 balsa model I am now building.

I hope you don't mind "off the wall" questions!:biggrin:

Almost every question put to me is "Off the Wall" to begin with. Especially from my wife and she gets angry if I don't understand what she is saying when changing subjects almost in mid-sentence.

When the modeling contest on this board gets to model trains (I don't have any dioramas set up anymore) I'll post some of those I worked on. It's really fairly easy and fun to do. Especially with coal cars. The "dustier" they are the more realistic it is.

On airplanes, however, there shouldn't be any real "weathering" except where mud may have been splashed up under the wing from the landing gear. The biggest mistake most modelers do with military airplanes is to paint them with a gloss or semi-gloss paint. It must be FLAT. But there is some liquids you can buy at the hobby shop that will flatten gloss paint.

That's a funny thing though about decals. You have to apply a gloss to the model first and then apply a flat after the decals are dry.

Never could figure that one out.

Before painting, do not wash the model with soapy water as usually recommended. Use a quick brushing (an old toothbrush is perfect) with paint thinner. Then the surface is perfect for applying paint.

Ray
06 Mar 07,, 06:16
Congratulations.

I thought your acceptance speech would be in the line of the Oscars! :)

Vive La Martiniere!

Rusty, Marquez and Somail,

Your entries were real good too. I wish I had the patience and industriousness that you all have. Lucky you all!

kams
06 Mar 07,, 15:01
Stage 7 will happen when (if?) I get so disgusted with myself that I actually knuckle down and do it. I am unable to predict when Stage 7 will occur:redface:

Would constant reminders (like twice a day) help with your motivation. I wouldn't mind opening a new thread for the sole purpose of 'inspiring' you.:) .

TJ congrats man. ARe you motivated enough now to start a new project?

Jay
06 Mar 07,, 20:59
Rumba nandri! Did I get that right?:biggrin:
Almost ;) Its Romba Nandri :)

texasjohn
06 Mar 07,, 22:27
Would constant reminders (like twice a day) help with your motivation. I wouldn't mind opening a new thread for the sole purpose of 'inspiring' you.:) .

TJ congrats man. ARe you motivated enough now to start a new project?

Ah yes! A new "Glyn inspirational thread" ," the conqueror build" thread!:biggrin:

texasjohn
06 Mar 07,, 22:29
Almost ;) Its Romba Nandri :)

The google search for "thank you in Tamil" was wrong!!!!:frown:

texasjohn
07 Mar 07,, 00:20
Congratulations.

I thought your acceptance speech would be in the line of the Oscars! :)

Vive La Martiniere!

Rusty, Marquez and Somail,

Your entries were real good too. I wish I had the patience and industriousness that you all have. Lucky you all!

Thank you sir.

LABOR ET CONSTANTIA!

Elbmek
07 Mar 07,, 00:28
Thank you one and all for the votes.

I must accept this with much HUMILITY, simply because, I have seen the work of REAL modellers like Nord, Dalem etc. who either missed the deadline or were not aware of the contest. Had the likes of them contributed, they would have smoked me. I have 3 other models I am building and hope to improve as I do.

One is a cesspit and t'other is in his attic!!!