X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court clears Serbia of genocide

Last Updated: Monday, 26 February 2007, 17:06 GMT

Court clears Serbia of genocide

The UN's highest court has cleared Serbia of direct responsibility for genocide during the 1990s Bosnian war.

But the International Court of Justice did rule that Belgrade had violated international law by failing to prevent the 1995 massacre at Srebrenica.

Bosnia brought the case and would have sought billions of dollars from Serbia in compensation if successful.

The case is the first of a state being charged with genocide. Individuals have been convicted of genocide in Bosnia.

The Bosnian Muslim leader expressed disappointment at the ruling, which was welcomed both in Serbia and the Bosnian Serb Republic.

At least 100,000 people died in the 1992-1995 war, triggered by the break-up of the former Yugoslavia. Bosnia's Muslims and Croats wanted to cut ties with Belgrade, a move opposed by Bosnian Serbs.

No reparations

The case, Bosnia and Herzegovina versus Serbia and Montenegro, began a year ago and a panel of judges has been deliberating since hearings ended in May 2006.

Bosnia argued that Belgrade incited ethnic hatred, armed Bosnian Serbs and was an active participant in the killings.

Belgrade said the conflict was an internal war between Bosnia's ethnic groups and denied any state role in genocide.

In the ruling, the president of the court, Judge Rosalyn Higgins, said: "The court finds that the acts of genocide at Srebrenica cannot be attributed to the respondent's (Serbia) state organs."

However the court added that the leaders of Serbia failed to comply with its international obligation to prevent the killings and punish hose responsible.

The court also rejected Bosnia's claim for reparations.

"Financial compensation is not the appropriate form of reparation," the ruling said.

The war crimes tribunal in The Hague has already found individuals guilty of genocide in Bosnia and established the Srebrenica massacre as genocide.

Stalled talks

Under a 1995 peace accord, Bosnia remained a single state, but power was devolved to a Muslim-Croat federation and a Bosnian Serb Republic.

The BBC's Nicholas Walton in Sarajevo says many Bosnian Muslims were hoping for a clear ruling that Serbia as a state was responsible for pursuing a genocide in Bosnia during the 1990s.

The Bosnian Muslim member of the country's tripartite presidency, Haris Siladzic, told the BBC there was "disappointment" at the outcome.

However he welcomed the fact that the court had "ruled that Serbia and Montenegro had violated the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide by not preventing or punishing the perpetrators of the genocide".

In the Serb Republic, Krstan Simic, a senior member of the governing ruling Union of Independent Social-Democrats, said he was pleased that the judges had taken "real facts " into account.

In Serbia itself, President Boris Tadic welcomed the judgement and urged parliament to pass a declaration "condemning the crime in Srebrenica without any doubt".

The German presidency of the European Union urged Serbia "to use today's judgment as a further opportunity to distance itself from the crimes committed by the Milosevic regime".

The ruling comes with Serbia still facing challenges linked to the break-up of the former Yugoslavia.

Admission talks with the EU have been stalled over Belgrade's failure to hand over war crimes suspects for trial.
    BBC NEWS | Europe | Court clears Serbia of genocide
    Must be heartwarming for the Serbs and very disappointing for the Moslems!

Hopefully a chapter of history has been given the burial that it richly deserve.

The time now is to look ahead!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Ray
    "The time now is to look ahead!"

Well good tought but I allready hear voices of Bosnian musliman politicians to cancel serbian entity in Bosnia. To me it is again playing with fire.

Comment

If the UN court had credibility before, it's gone now. This a political decision, not a court judgement.
      F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig View Post
        If the UN court had credibility before, it's gone now. This a political decision, not a court judgement.
        An UN court is any day better than US rigged kangaroo courts awarding death penalty to all and sundry.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig View Post
          What the f*** you know about Bosnia?
          Are lived there or have any relative from there?
          I have.
          All you know is CNN.

Listen this story.
          My relatives fled to Spain from bosian war. So their father buys newspaper and in middle of newspaper see full A4 about crying women on cementary and text below "musliman women cry for died family which were brutal kill by Serbs" but when he better look picutre in backgorund he see christian crosses well in many country there is multireligion cementary but nowhere in Bosnia, because Muslims(which are Serbs convert in islam and now they are saing that they arent Serbs) look on christian population as filth. So do you get picture?
          There was so many lies about Bosian war, just read what Officer of Engineers write on this forum.
          I dont say Serbs didnt kill and butch people they did that, but another sides did the same. Just look died count on all three sides and you will see that is proportional to structure of bosian population. Also muslims were in war with other muslims and fight against croatians this is why two times more muslims are dead than Serbs.
          If we look your guys in iraq you lost 3000+ and iraqs lost 200000 so I could say that US is next of trial bench right? But if I look facts there is civil war and there is many fractions in that war.
          This is almost the same as Bosian war. You will always hear about bad Serbs and noone else.
          P.S.Serbia didnt had any regualar unit in Bosnia. We support our borthers same way as SA or Iran send mudji in Bosnia or arms.Also we stop full support to Bosian Serbs many months before Srebrenica.
          And if you want to know Crotia send their regular units in Bosnia in 1992 so by international law Crotia is more guilty than Serbia.

Comment

Originally posted by SRB View Post
            What the f*** you know about Bosnia?
            Are lived there or have any relative from there?
            I have.
            All you know is CNN.

Listen this story.
            My relatives fled to Spain from bosian war. So their father buys newspaper and in middle of newspaper see full A4 about crying women on cementary and text below "musliman women cry for died family which were brutal kill by Serbs" but when he better look picutre in backgorund he see christian crosses well in many country there is multireligion cementary but nowhere in Bosnia, because Muslims(which are Serbs convert in islam and now they are saing that they arent Serbs) look on christian population as filth. So do you get picture?
            There was so many lies about Bosian war, just read what Officer of Engineers write on this forum.
            I dont say Serbs didnt kill and butch people they did that, but another sides did the same. Just look died count on all three sides and you will see that is proportional to structure of bosian population. Also muslims were in war with other muslims and fight against croatians this is why two times more muslims are dead than Serbs.
            If we look your guys in iraq you lost 3000+ and iraqs lost 200000 so I could say that US is next of trial bench right? But if I look facts there is civil war and there is many fractions in that war.
            This is almost the same as Bosian war. You will always hear about bad Serbs and noone else.
            P.S.Serbia didnt had any regualar unit in Bosnia. We support our borthers same way as SA or Iran send mudji in Bosnia or arms.Also we stop full support to Bosian Serbs many months before Srebrenica.
            And if you want to know Crotia send their regular units in Bosnia in 1992 so by international law Crotia is more guilty than Serbia.
            Why didint the country's former government stop the 1995 slaughter of more than 7,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica ?

No one is more guilty then each other, Hrvatska was attacked by serbian troops aswell, Hrvatska wanted independance..They didn't regret it because they didn't want Serbia to mess with their own rights.

Slovenia wanted to separate.Now it is independent state.
            Croatia wanted to separate.Now it is independent state.

BH wanted to separate.Now it is independent state.

Macedonia wanted to separate.Now it is independent state.

Montenegro wanted to separate.Now it is independent state.

Don't you find the irony here??
            It seems like the Serb minorities in all these Republics chose to want to stay with Yugoslavia.
            Serbia can't get around the fact that the country they grew up in is gone, the former yugoslavia.

Comment

Hi SRB!
              Here the interesting point of view on civil war in Yugoslavia and NATO's bombardments.

Originally posted by John Laughland The Guardian
              Lies of the vigilantes | Guardian daily comment | Guardian Unlimited
              Lies of the vigilantes

The Srebrenica ruling punctures the false claims that underpin the doctrine of intervention
              However, Monday's ruling is about far more than Milosevic. Ever since the end of the cold war, the US and its allies have acted like vigilantes, claiming the right to bomb other countries in the name of humanity. The Kosovo war was the most important action taken on this basis and, as such, the curtain-raiser for Iraq. Fought, like the Iraq war, without UN approval, it was waged partly because the international community felt it should have intervened more robustly against Yugoslavia over Bosnia. It now turns out that Serbia was not in control in Bosnia after all. The ruling therefore punctures a decade-and-a-half of lies in support of the doctrine of military and judicial interventionism.
              How there kNikS? The WAB forum has much lost without him.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielk View Post
                Why didint the country's former government stop the 1995 slaughter of more than 7,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica ?

No one is more guilty then each other, Hrvatska was attacked by serbian troops aswell, Hrvatska wanted independance..They didn't regret it because they didn't want Serbia to mess with their own rights.

Slovenia wanted to separate.Now it is independent state.
                Croatia wanted to separate.Now it is independent state.

BH wanted to separate.Now it is independent state.

Macedonia wanted to separate.Now it is independent state.

Montenegro wanted to separate.Now it is independent state.

Don't you find the irony here??
                It seems like the Serb minorities in all these Republics chose to want to stay with Yugoslavia.
                Serbia can't get around the fact that the country they grew up in is gone, the former yugoslavia.
                About Srebrenica and why Milosevic didnt stop that, well in that time Bosnian Serbs didnt listen too much him. if you rember Serbia set sanctions against Republika Srpska in 1994. They start to listen Milosevic when NATO+Musliman army+Croatian army launch efficient offensive against Republika Srpska after Srebrenica(this one more argument that killing in Srebrenica was madness and not some planed operation).

About war in Croatia Tudjman president of Crotia said:
                "I am glad that my wife isnt Serb or Jew."
                And after that you did expect our people to live with that president come on.
                I know many Croatians want Serbs to act as in 1941 to wait as sheeps for slaughter.

Also Croatian regular troops operate in Bosnia and Serbian regular troops didnt. What you think if we really intervente what verdict of this court would be?
                I am were sure it would be Serbia is guilty.

On Serbia you can look in same way as on Germany(send large quantity of arms to Croatia) or Saudi Arabia and rest of islam countries(send money and soliders to Bosnia).

If you talk about Srebrenica we need to see what is definite number of killed.
                Muslims count in soliders which try to break to Bihac. I hear about book which write one of Musilm veteran it is called "Mars u pakao" translation "March in hell" He write that his group lost between 500 and 1000 in fight against praga before they caputre that AA canon. He estemate they lost 3000 or even 5000 soldiers form 8000 which try to break trough Serbian lines an my friend they all are on victim wall in Srebrenica. Dont forget UNPROFOR officers estemate presence of one storng Bosian divison in Srebrenica it is around 10000 soliders.They werent in uniforms but they were armed.

I think that in Srebrenica was killed huge number of innocent people (today number for massgraves is 2500) and it was war crime.Many Serbs what revenge beacuse many serbian villages around Srebrenica were destoried. In Kravice villiage on Chrismas day Naser Oric troops kill 60 people majorty old man, kids and women.
                Is Maldic order massacre, I dont know. If he didnt order than he was weak commander which lost control on its troops(many of which had relatives in villages around Srebrenica) and he must answer for that on millitary court in Republika Srpska.
                If he order massacre than we must send him in Hague.

But our nations cant to act rational and even when ours make s**** people dont belive or just say "yes we did that but other side was much worse".
                We all(croats,serbs,muslms) f***** Bosnia.
                If Croatians, Serbs and Bosnians dont look direct in truth we will never bury war axes.
                P.S. It sound to me very stupid to say our nations beacuse to me we are all one nation with diferent religion nothing else and I am not Yugonostalgic.
                I think biggest mistake of orthodox church was declaration (in middle age) that you cant be Serb and muslim.
                Last edited by SRB; 01 Mar 07,, 18:31.

Comment

Originally posted by SRB View Post

We all(croats,serbs,muslms) f***** Bosnia.

P.S. It sound to me very stupid to say our nations beacuse to me we are all one nation with diferent religion nothing else and I am not Yugonostalgic.
                  I think biggest mistake of orthodox church was declaration (in middle age) that you cant be Serb and muslim.
                  Bosnia's Muslims and Croats followed Slovenia and Croatia in breaking away from Yugoslavia in April 1992, against the wishes of Bosnian Serbs, who were left as a one-third minority in what had previously been a Yugoslav republic ruled from Belgrade.

Croatia was the 1st country to recognise Bosnia and Herzegovina as a sovereign state.

They didint want to get controlled by serbia, thats why they wanted independance.

But yeah, whats happend has happend, it was a bad war for all of us.

Comment

The war is over and I have no desire whatsoever to revisit that past, let alone start another war.

Comment

The war is over and Serbia has lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                        Must be heartwarming for the Serbs and very disappointing for the Moslems!

Hopefully a chapter of history has been given the burial that it richly deserve.

The time now is to look ahead!
                        You're talking about muslims here. It's not over.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielk View Post
                          Bosnia's Muslims and Croats followed Slovenia and Croatia in breaking away from Yugoslavia in April 1992, against the wishes of Bosnian Serbs, who were left as a one-third minority in what had previously been a Yugoslav republic ruled from Belgrade.

Croatia was the 1st country to recognise Bosnia and Herzegovina as a sovereign state.

They didint want to get controlled by serbia, thats why they wanted independance.

But yeah, whats happend has happend, it was a bad war for all of us.
                          I dont know how much you know about ex-Yu but any state was equal in ex-Yu.Dont get me wrong I didnt know much about SFRJ because I was born in 1982 so I read a lot about SFRJ.

Any state could call veto on anything important to federation.
                          It wasnt problem in Belgrade, problem was in Slovenia. Slovenia want to have right of independent country but still to use benefits of SFRJ.

Tudjman was discharge form JNA in 70's because he was ultra nationalist.I think he was even in jail for some time and that was were serious because Tito tolerate Croatian nationalist.
                          On the other hand Milosevic became nationalist(others said that) in 1987 when he said "Noone cant to beat you" he said this to serbian people on Kosovo because every day police beat them(in that time police was Albanian).
                          Noone can conivce me that is lie because one my relative was beat in police because he came to report steal of cows(he supect on Albanains form other village).
                          JNA march on Slovenia wasnt under command of Serbian generals it was brainchild of Croatian JNA generals(in JNA HQ Croatian generals had majorty) and why Serbs would be interest for Slovenia?
                          To me Croatians were more interest to blame Belgrade for that but in realitity elite troops form Belgrade never get out of city, it was armored guardian division which were under Serb control, JNA HQ want them in Slovenia. My profesor was in that unit and he said that state of the art tanks couldnt start their engines(yeah right story for kids).

When Slovenia goes Croatia want too because HDZ was purely nationalist party.
                          Serbs in croatia were still remeber 1941 and when they saw U and other simbols and hear spech in Sabor(couple of politican said Croatians can finish what started in 1941) they were sure that they set up road blocks was good thing and that they get arms too (many of them had dig out WW2 weapons) why you think they put it in ground after WW2 because they were unsure about future.
                          I dont said it was smart, I think they must be more cool instead hot and they could try to find out some politicans in Croatia which are normal. There was room form talk but onone see it. And when rifles start talking normal people shut up.
                          Last edited by SRB; 01 Mar 07,, 23:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Garuda View Post
                            An UN court is any day better than US rigged kangaroo courts awarding death penalty to all and sundry.
                            And which court are you refering to?
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              You're talking about muslims here. It's not over.
                              I dont understand you.
                              Maybe my english is bad but...

Comment

Working...
                              X