Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghan deployment to be outlined

Afghan deployment to be outlined

The deployment of about 1,000 extra UK troops to Afghanistan is due to be confirmed later.

The details of the deployment are expected to come in a Commons statement from Defence Secretary Des Browne.

Most are likely to be sent to the volatile province of Helmand, where UK forces have been fighting the Taleban.

Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram said reinforcements were needed because it was a "difficult and complex area", where UK forces faced hostile action.

'Vital partner'

Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett has arrived in Pakistan for talks with President Pervez Musharraf.

She said: "I welcome the opportunity to discuss the work we are doing together on counter-terrorism, as well as other aspects of our relationship.

"I also expect to discuss the steps we are taking to defeat the Taleban in Afghanistan. Pakistan is a vital partner in this region and their commitment is essential to creating a stable and secure Afghanistan."

Mr Ingram told ITV1's Sunday Edition that the Taleban wanted to create a "medieval theocracy".

He said: "We face quite hostile action there and that is why we have to bolster our strength there."

There are currently 5,600 British troops in Afghanistan, mostly in Helmand.

Nato commanders have said they need more soldiers to tackle an expected spring offensive by the Taleban.

The announcement of the extra UK deployment comes days after Prime Minister Tony Blair said the country's military presence in Iraq was being reduced by 1,600 personnel.

'Winnable' battle

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell, who has called for UK soldiers to be out of Iraq by October, backed the plans to bolster Afghanistan forces.

He told the BBC: "I think [the military campaign] is winnable - that's the judgement of the senior commanders.

"There is no doubt that this is in a different category altogether from Iraq and it is somewhere where we should be putting resources to bring about, as far as we can, a successful conclusion."

The Tories have said the new Afghan deployment shows UK forces are too "overstretched" to carry out duties in both there and in Iraq.

Manpower revamp

The UK has recently revamped its operations in Afghanistan to put most manpower into Helmand province in the south, where the fighting is at its most fierce.

The 1,300 troops currently in Kabul will come out of that region shortly.

The majority of those will go south to Helmand, except for about 400 who will leave Afghanistan.

The remaining 5,200 troops in the country will be bolstered by the expected extra 1,000 troops, making the UK force in Afghanistan 6,200-strong.
    BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Afghan deployment to be outlined
    With the additional troops induction, it will be easier on the troops already out there.

Given the stoic and resilience of British troops, it will surely be hard times for the Taleban.

There is no doubt that unless Pakistan cooperates in curbing the Taleban menace from infiltrating into Afghanistan, the effort may not be winnable.

The Foreign Secretary's discussions with Musharaf is in the correct direction, but it is anybody's guess if she can prevail upon him where Mr Bush has not been very successful.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Don`t believe what you hear or read in the press,my mates out there,he has told me the truth and what is going to happen.(can`t tell you our would have to kill u)

Comment

Originally posted by baz0927 View Post
      Don`t believe what you hear or read in the press,my mates out there,he has told me the truth and what is going to happen.(can`t tell you our would have to kill u)
      Doesnt take the brains of an Arch bishop or a rocket scientist to work it out Baz.... its all over the net and news media outlets its just the logistics and who ..........also I know something you dont
      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Bush to Warn Pakistan to Act on Terror

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/26/wo...in&oref=slogin
        My heart leaps up when I behold
        A rainbow in the sky:
        So was it when my life began
        So is it now I am a man;
        So be it when I shall grow old;
        Or let me die!
        The Child is the father of the Man.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
        X