• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. tourist kills mugger with bare hands

U.S. tourist kills mugger with bare hands
    Retired GI puts armed Costa Rican in headlock, companions fend off others

U.S. tourist breaks mugger's neck - Cruise Vacations - MSNBC.com

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica - An American senior citizen killed an alleged mugger with his bare hands, and his traveling companions aboard a tour bus fended of two other assailants in the Atlantic coast city of Limon, police said.

A retired member of the U.S. military aged about 70 put suspect Warner Segura in a head lock and broke his clavicle after the 20-year-old and two other men armed with a knife and gun held up their tour bus, Luis Hernandez, the police chief of Limon, 80 miles east of San Jose, said Thursday. Segura was later declared dead, apparently from asphyxiation.

The two other men fled when the 12 senior citizens started defending themselves during the Wednesday attack. Afterward, the tourists drove Segura to the Red Cross where he was declared dead. The Red Cross also treated one of the tourists for an anxiety attack, Hernandez said.

The tourists left on their Carnival cruise ship after the incident and Hernandez said authorities do not plan to press any charges against them.

“They were in their right to defend themselves after being held up,” he said.

Hernandez said Segura had previous charges against him for assaults.

In a media statement, Miami, Fla.-based Carnival Cruise Lines said the Wednesday incident occurred during an outing at a Limon beach which a group of a dozen passengers had arranged on their own.

“According to witnesses, while sightseeing at a local beach, the group of guests were approached by three assailants, one of whom was armed,” the statement said.

“The victims struggled with the armed perpetrator, and were able to disarm him. During this process, the gunman’s two accomplices fled the scene. In the course of disarming and restraining the assailant, he died from apparent asphyxiation.”

Neither the Costa Rican police nor Carnival identified the man involved in the struggle with the mugger.

The cruise line said the guests were questioned by local law enforcement and then returned to the ship. The ship’s departure from Limon was slightly delayed to await their return.

“All of the guests involved, who had booked the cruise together as a group, have opted to continue with their vacation plans. Carnival is providing full support and assistance to the guests,” according to the statement.

The ship, The Carnival Liberty, continued on its scheduled itinerary, with a port call scheduled in Colon, Panama.

Looks like an open and shut case, so police did not even bother.

Well, Good for Him!

Further, I am glad that they aren't going to press charges ..... and hopefully there won't be any wrongful death law suits from it, either.

Of course, two things, in this country that are the back at my mind. First of all, if I am ever on regular police again or go back into sport judo, I suspect I will have to be retrained. Certain things in muscle memory are illegal these days, like sleeper chokes. It's a wonderful technique but one can easily kill someone with it. Secondly, I suspect that this man is a little like me, trained to put people out of commission with their hands. I don't consider my hands "registered deadly weapons" but I am well enough aware that with a State Champion under my "belt" and having trained police troops in HtH, if they get me into court because of a physical assault issue, they're going to use it against me.
    ------------------------------
    ("What happened to Reace?"--Head Villian Roger Devereau
    "I killed him, with a speargun."--Hero George Caldwell
    "You did? Good for you! He'd probably deserved it.", (w,stte), "Silver Streak")

Comment

good old man, god bless him, gladly local cops, didn't charge him, good for him it didn't happen in nyc, he'd be in jail.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

I admire this old guy, what a fella to have around.
        Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

WTF, is this real how can a 70 yr old geezer have a grip strong enough to break a clavicle. BTW happy that he wasn't charged, kudos to the Costarican police....
          Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Major props to a man forced to defend himself, and who managed to do so effectively despite his age. Also kudos to the Costa Rican police who had the sense to see that the man was merely defending himself.
            "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Us oldies aren't to be trifled with. Ask Dreadnought!:)
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
                WTF, is this real how can a 70 yr old geezer have a grip strong enough to break a clavicle. BTW happy that he wasn't charged, kudos to the Costarican police....
                I am 70 years old and still chop my own firewood. And with the head lock you use the b*st*rds own weight to to snap him up and down.
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Good for the older gentlemen and his friends. Just goes to show you your never to old.:)
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Old dogs

Some things once learned are never forgotten. Killing (with your hands) is a matter of applying force at the right place. If you know how you don't have to be exceptionally strong, you just have to be strong (or smart) enough. My guess is someone somewhere taught him how and he never forgot. Maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks but you don't have to teach an old dog old tricks, they already know.
                    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Kudos to the old guy not to be intimidated by the thugs...............as someone else stated glad it was not the UK he would be in jail also
                      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                        I am 70 years old and still chop my own firewood. And with the head lock you use the b*st*rds own weight to to snap him up and down.
                        I have (nearly) every confidence in the Geriatric Guards!
                        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                          Us oldies aren't to be trifled with. Ask Dreadnought!:)
                          ;)
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

You are never old until you think you are.

Comment

They need a new box to check on the death certificate:

Cause of Death-

[] F*cked with the wrong guy.

-dale

Comment

Working...
                              X