Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest invention man created throughout history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest invention man created throughout history?

What's the greatest invention man has created throughout history?

Language.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
      Language.
      Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
        Language.
        Agreed. It's the basis of everything, including civilization.

Comment

Girlie magazines

Sorry, just wanted to get something out there besides "language."
          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Nobody tell Bluesman about this thread, he'll try to tell us it's four-engined heavy bombers

Leibniz

Comment

Calendar.
              Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Religion.

Comment

I'd say the greatest invention has been the conceptualization of the number 10 as in the modern numeral system. This is in conjunction with depicting the first 9 digits in abstract form, i.e 3 is not III or 4 is not IIII.

This is something we take for granted today, but if you realize it took a millenia for Europe to accept this in lieu of using X for the same. Language does not necessarily lead to civilization.

Putting a 'zero' after the 1 as the tenth digit is an awesome quantum concept jump. Something that made modern society possible, and hence 'civilization' as we know it today. Without the invention of 10 (which includes the concept of zero) people would not have been able to count much beyond the number of sheep in the flock.

Just for comparison try multiplying two 3 digit numbers using roman numerals, you'll get a feel how limited civilizations using them were conceptually.

I think the invention of 10 to be the greatest quantum concept leap for civilization. More so than anything else ever and since. (Only talking about 'civilization' as we know it today).
                  Last edited by subba; 23 Feb 07,, 09:13.

Comment

Fire. Or will there be those who insist it is a discovery?
                    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by subba View Post
                      I'd say the greatest invention has been the conceptualization of the number 10 as in the modern numeral system.
                      Pah. Mathematics is simply the abstract form of the universal language, a mere subset of general language
                      Language does not necessarily lead to civilization.
                      Show me one without it.:)

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Swift Sword View Post
                        Calendar.
                        Codifying of a naturally occuring event, requiring language to utilise.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Kansas Bear View Post
                          Religion.
                          Get thee to a nunnery

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                            Or will there be those who insist it is a discovery?
                            Parihaka raises his hand

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                              Girlie magazines
                              Best challenge to language so far if you ask me, and yet strangely complimentary "I only get it for the articles, and damn fine articles they are"

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X