Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the top 5 superpowers in the Asia??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the top 5 superpowers in the Asia??

Just a curious question, individually with no alliances who are the top 5 powers in Asia??
    Last edited by aussie; 20 Nov 04,, 23:45.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

i would say russia china india japan(all in no particular order as none is capable of completely subduing another).
    russia is stil a major military power.
    India & china are emerging powers with large economies (in PPP) and high gowth rates and a rapidly modernizing militaries.
    Japan surely due to its advanced military and big economy.

After this group i'll say israel(ig u guys consider it in asia) and then pakistan,iran etc. etc.

Comment

Probably Russia, China, Japan, India, Pakistan, in that order. I'd say the US has the most powerful military in Asia, but we don't quite have the presence there than we do in the Middle East or Europe. I'd say our military power is more than that of India, Pakistan, and Japan, however.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

We have like 70,000 Troops in the Pacific if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

India and China have around a Million men each.
          A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke
            I'd say our military power is more than that of India, Pakistan, and Japan, however.
            At present most of the forces are concentrated in the Middle East. Even then, India, China, North Korea and Pakistan have bigger Armies in the region. Only USN's 7th Fleet changes the equation in favor of the US.
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

we hve done a lot of china india china indian and china japan war comparisons and frankly none gave eitehr parties a clear edge. I wonder how can we rank them if one cannot outclass another unless of course if we start fromm the scratch comparing the militaries altogether.

About pakistn the AF is in a very bad shape .They done even have a BVR, No missile difences as all. Wont the iranis come comparble to pakistanis (except of course the nukes pakistan has, but now there might benukes in irna .. ).

I dont think it wil be a good idea to rate just militaries as a power need to have it all military economy diplomacy etc.

Comment

What about the countries of S. East Asia? And is Australia a part of "Asia"?

EDIT: Economically, ASEAN is very powerful, giving the nations of S. East Asia "power" beyond what their small, individual lands and resources give them.
                Am out of town for a while and then have tons of work coming up at school. Will be back once that's all done.

Comment

i think Australis nd NZ are considered outside.
                  And about asian its just a economic block. No military cooperation there.

Comment

tHERE are 5 "super powers in Asia?? The rest of the world know this ??

Comment

Pakistan.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

tsk, tsk - 5 "super powers" - I guess they must all be Pakistan - hai hai hai lootliya na

Comment

Originally posted by tarek
                          tHERE are 5 "super powers in Asia?? The rest of the world know this ??
                          The word ws obviously used in a regional proportion. Here's how I'ld rate'em:
                          - Russia
                          - Japan, China & India
                          - Israel, S. Korea, Pakistan and Taiwan

Oh **** I listed 9 countries, oh well 8 countries and Taiwan, oh well 7 countries and Taiwan and Israel (just a lil appeasement for our muslim friends). No wait, Israel is a country.
                          I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by ajaybhutani
                            i think Australis nd NZ are considered outside.
                            And about asian its just a economic block. No military cooperation there.
                            I think for this discussion Australia and New Zealand should and are considered to be Asian members. You mentioned 'asian' but i'm guessing you meant ASEAN, which is more than just an economic block.

ASEAN also includes defence initiatives and targets as well as social and economic ones. Although you could argue that some of those above mentioned have varied importance. Security however, is a significant aspect of ASEAN, not just militarily but also politically and economically. This is because ASEAN is more of a reaction, or response to anglo (UK, Aus, NZ and US) and to a lesser extent European influence in the region. This is portrayed in the fully Asian (SE Asia and periphery) membership of ASEAN.

An important extension of ASEAN is the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) which includes around 25 member states, roughly the same as APEC member states. The ARF is in no way an alliance, but more of an active forum/thinktank that deals in many issues that are considered to be modern securit issues. From traditional security to more abstract ones such as people, drugs and arms right down to disease control and customs issues (border control).

The ARF is designed to deal with the complications in the various issues of internatinal relations between the many and varied nations/cultures that occupy this part of the world. One of its great strengths that i can see is that it is an Asian or ASEAN inspired project, created to deal with our varied and contentious issues, and not a anglo/European inspired one.

Comment

Should Vietnam among five? in the history, given having had many shortages but it has defeated American, France or China?
                              Last edited by toetoe; 11 Dec 04,, 18:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X