• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney clashes over Cheney visit

Sydney clashes over Cheney visit

By Nick Byant
    BBC News, Sydney

Clashes have broken out on the streets of Sydney between police and anti-war campaigners protesting against the visit of US Vice-President Dick Cheney.

The security situation in Iraq is set to top the agenda in his discussions with the Australian government.

Prime Minister John Howard is under strong pressure at home to announce a withdrawal of Australian forces.

The scuffles broke out when a crowd of protestors tried to march on the US consulate in the centre of Sydney.

They view Dick Cheney as one of the main architects of the Iraq war - a conflict which is becoming increasingly unpopular with the public as a whole.

Afghan deployment

A poll has suggested that more than two-thirds of the Australian people want Mr Howard to announce a date for the withdrawal of the country's forces, or to order an immediate pull out.

But the Australian prime minister has refused to follow the lead of his British counterpart, Tony Blair, by laying out an exit strategy.

Prior to his trip, the US vice-president had been hoping that Australia would bolster its presence in Iraq, which is currently 1,400-strong.

But Mr Howard, who faces re-election this year, has ruled that out. He has instead offered to despatch 70 military advisers to help train the Iraqi army.

It also seems likely that Australia will double its deployment in Afghanistan, raising the number of soldiers to about 1,000.

The fight against the Taleban and al-Qaeda commands widespread public and political support.
    BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Sydney clashes over Cheney visit
    So, it appears that Australians are disillusioned with the way things are shaping in Iraq, but are totally in favour of going and getting the AQ and Taleban in Afghanistan!

I presume that this is the way most of the world looks at Iraq and Afghanistan.

Surprising that Howard who commented on Obama is fighting shy to have a 'surge' in the way the US desired of him. Instead, he is ready to spare only 70 advisers!

A mealy mouthed politician!
    Last edited by Ray; 22 Feb 07,, 18:57.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

And today we have our defense minister comparing the Iraq war to the Kokoda battles of WWII in importance!

The Iraq war will play an important role in this years election, though I imagine interest rates will be the decider (just like last time).
    "Just go home rednecks!" Me, 28/03/2007

Comment

Interesting how anti-war protesters have a tendency to become violent.

I want to see a pro-war demonstration demanding war and beat up on a pacifist government.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Does anyone ever demonstrate against the real destructive forces at work in this world....the (slightly) radical muslims running around killing everything that moves who don't exactly agree with their interpretation of mohammed's revelation?

Comment

Originally posted by CMartel View Post
          Does anyone ever demonstrate against the real destructive forces at work in this world....the (slightly) radical muslims running around killing everything that moves who don't exactly agree with their interpretation of mohammed's revelation?
          No, that would be racist.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            Interesting how anti-war protesters have a tendency to become violent.

I want to see a pro-war demonstration demanding war and beat up on a pacifist government.
            Hypocrisy is a common trait among the far left.

Comment

No people don't protest against radical Islam because there is no point. It would be like protesting against Nazisim, everyone already knows its nasty.

Comment

When your government is pro war there is no need to protest.

Comment

What and infringe on there right to free speech....goodness thats a little radical
                  sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

I remember a anti-taliban protest and that was pre 9/11, when no one really cared that much. Except about possible oil pipelines that is!

So in answer to your question, yes they do. It just doesn't get the media coverage. Plus if there is no media coverage, there are no anarchists/professional demonstrators which means no arrests.

Comment

Working...
                    X